Clothing for glassing

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm about to go on my first western hunt, mule deer in Decemeber in northern AZ. I have a lot of solid gear but I have never needed a camo puffy jacket. I have a 3 year old Patagonia down sweater and was thinking of using it as my puffy layer for the colder mornings while glassing. I have a Sitka gortex shell that could provide added windstopping, plus serving as my rain shell if there is the need.

My question is does anyone see a problem with that system or should i just throw down for one of the kifaru jackets or kelvin hoody WS?

I have good merino baselayers and mid layers,

Also if it matters the patagonia jacket is a forrest-ish green. Not super dark but not neon green.

chasewild

WKR
I think you're a little light on the insulation. It doesn't matter whether its camo or not (since your shell can slip over your puffy) but I think you'll be cold if you're spending serious time behind the glass.

Sturgeon

WKR
I have the a Patagonia down sweater too. I think the piece is great when layered under a shell jacket. Used it in 20 degree weather last weekend while sitting and stayed warm.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I think my worry at the moment is that the down sweater feels less puffy on year 3 than it did on its first year. I wear it a lot during the winter. I have another down vest that packs up small and light that i could throw in the day pack.

I think my planned layering is :
While hiking - Heavy Merino base layer + Sitka Fanatic hoody + Rain/windproof shell if needed
While glassing - Merino layer + Fanatic Hoody + Puffy + Windproof shell..

The mornings could/should be in the teens.. looks like average is around 15, and then getting up to 40s by mid day.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
While hiking - Heavy Merino base layer

That is a near guaranteed way to be wet and cold. Merino does not wick or dry well. A synthetic or merino/synthetic blend base layer of a much better choice.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Really? I thought Merino was pretty good at wicking. I have some of the other blends. The Merino base layers I have are Sitka's heavy weights. Do you have a favorite base layer that has a better blend? It looks like Sitka's are 59% Merino, 35% poly, 6% nylon

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Really? I thought Merino was pretty good at wicking. I have some of the other blends. The Merino base layers I have are Sitka's heavy weights. Do you have a favorite base layer that has a better blend? It looks like Sitka's are 59% Merino, 35% poly, 6% nylon

Merino holds moisture. “Warm when we” really doesn’t mean anything when you’re “wet”.

FL Aerowool
First-Spear ACM 100
etc.

I greatly prefer the qualities of merino- feel, non stink, etc. but the dry time is just too much. Blends work well though and pretty much any roughly 65/35 merino blend should be good.

Don't worry about color or camo. Camo is just the uniform for hunters. I have owned the Patagonia Down sweater and loved it. However, IMO its to light for temps below 30 degrees if you will be sitting still for long periods of time. I'm sure you can gut it out for one hunt with all your layers, but that Sitka Kelvin Down WS would be more appropriate.

Diesel

WKR
I think my worry at the moment is that the down sweater feels less puffy on year 3 than it did on its first year. I wear it a lot during the winter. I have another down vest that packs up small and light that i could throw in the day pack.

While hiking - Heavy Merino base layer + Sitka Fanatic hoody + Rain/windproof shell if needed

The mornings could/should be in the teens.. looks like average is around 15, and then getting up to 40s by mid day.

Take the vest for backup while glassing and you should be good. Throw in some hand warmers for windy days on the finger tips. Think about a neck gaiter, they are light and take little space. You can also put the hand warmers inside the neck gaiter by your main vein. The thing I find is that staying out there to the last seconds of the hunt usually pays off. Good luck and have fun.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Don't worry about color or camo. Camo is just the uniform for hunters. I have owned the Patagonia Down sweater and loved it. However, IMO its to light for temps below 30 degrees if you will be sitting still for long periods of time. I'm sure you can gut it out for one hunt with all your layers, but that Sitka Kelvin Down WS would be more appropriate.

Do you think the down sweater is too light when layered? I'm thinking if its bad I'll be able to have a heavyweight top, a hoody over that, a windproof vest, the down sweater, and then a windproof rain shell i can throw over that as well.. Its a guided hunt and basically truck camping so I can kinda get away with going overboard with bringing layers.

Do you think the down sweater is too light when layered? I'm thinking if its bad I'll be able to have a heavyweight top, a hoody over that, a windproof vest, the down sweater, and then a windproof rain shell i can throw over that as well.. Its a guided hunt and basically truck camping so I can kinda get away with going overboard with bringing layers.

Yes, I think you would be ok given the layers you described. the windproof vest will be a key component as cutting the wind will prevent you from losing the warm air generated by the down sweater. You should be good to go and most importantly have fun and good luck.

BluMtn

WKR
Not about cold weather clothing for glassing, but if you are going to be sitting for long periods make sure you take something to sit on that will insulate you from the ground. I use a cushion to sit on. You will not believe how that will help you stay warm. This is what I have and it does not weight a lot and works extremely well.

ThermaSeat Heat-A-Seat at Tractor Supply Co.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the advice and input. Been really helpful when thinking through this.

I don’t western hunt but dosit for long periods in northern Michigan andi like to also bring a chunk of foam or carpet to put under my feet. I truck camp so I am bring extra shit.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider

Bring your extra vest... also, like BluMtn said, bring something to sit on. I have a thermarest Z-seat and I love it. Or, you could also cut off 3 panels of a thermarest z-lite mattress for a little more coverage if you want. If you're going with buddies, buy the mattress and cut it up for everyone. It would be cheaper than buying 2 z-seats.

I have a merino Buff (neck gaiter) and it is amazing. You can wear it as a gaiter, an extra hat, or turn it into a balaclava. It only weighs a few oz, and they cost around $20. Totally worth it.

Also... BRING MITTENS. I used a combination of insulated Mechanix gloves and a waterproof shell mitten, and I wasn't warm enough this October in Oregon. I'm going to be picking up some chopper mitten liners to go with my shells. Get some choppers, or maybe some down mittens - thank me later ;) .

Finally, Merino does stay damp longer. My Badlands merino base layers stayed wet much longer than I had expected on my recent trip, and they are a 50/50 merino poly blend. They will keep you warm while they're wet, but it's not a pleasant feeling. You either have to embrace it, change your shirt when you get to your glassing spot and dry your original at camp (It will freeze), or go with a synthetic. I will say though... after a week without a shower, I was glad I had merino rather than synthetic, but that's just me.

Have fun, Dude!!!

Last edited:
Not sure if you've made a decision yet, but I've got both the Kifaru LPP and Sitka Kelvin Down WS. Been super happy with both... just need to evaluate the conditions so you bring the right one. The Sitka is definitely warmer and has the windstop built in.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna go with my patagonia and additional vest. Its basically car camping and I'll have help carrying gear and hopefully game back to camp so I think I can get away with brining some extra layers. Its just a cost saving measure at this point. If all goes according to plan then I'll be doing more of this every year and I can add to my kit as I go along. I already needed to buy some more crucial clothing items - and luckily a friend is loaning me his SG pack.

I also have a little bit of time and some cold weather here in VA to do some hikes with the gear and pack and get a sense of my heat regulation and what I might be able expect and how I'd handle it.