Opinions on adding warmth to my system

Need layering advice after my upper body getting cold on a day hunt recently. It was in low 20s with stiff 20mph+ wind and snow. Wile active I could regulate heat well and be perfect. Then once I went static I seemed to lose that heat within 10-15mins after layering up.

Layers go like this
FL aerowool t

FL Chama hoodie

Sitka Traverse zip t

Kuiu kenai jacket

Sitka Jetstream

When active and cold I just have the aero T and Chama on with Jetstream over top. I can dump heat in many ways with the Jetstream but block wind. And the Chama I can control heat with the zipper and the hood is nice to cut wind.

So should I say replace my traverse zip t with like a sitka core heavy weight hoodie? Or ditch the kenai and the traverse and get a heavier jacket or parka.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wolfey

FNG
I'd replace the chama for the halstead hoody and the zip t I'd drop and wear the jetstream then a heavier outer layer that's windproof.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'd ditch the wool/synthetic combo. For some reason unknown to me, layering a synthetic base over a wool one results in moisture problems. I ran into that last year when wearing a Patagonia R1 over a FL Llano. I couldn't get the R1 to dry out very fast. This year, I went wool/wool or synthetic/synthetic with my base layers and didn't have any similar problems. Also, I switched from 100% merino to Kuiu's blended merinos, which helps with wicking.

The next thing I'd do is get down for your insulating layer. Much warmer for weight than the Kenai. Don't get me wrong, the Kenai is a great jacket for certain purposes (I own one), but down is better for stationary warmth.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'd ditch the wool/synthetic combo. For some reason unknown to me, layering a synthetic base over a wool one results in moisture problems. I ran into that last year when wearing a Patagonia R1 over a FL Llano. I couldn't get the R1 to dry out very fast. This year, I went wool/wool or synthetic/synthetic with my base layers and didn't have any similar problems. Also, I switched from 100% merino to Kuiu's blended merinos, which helps with wicking.

The next thing I'd do is get down for your insulating layer. Much warmer for weight than the Kenai. Don't get me wrong, the Kenai is a great jacket for certain purposes (I own one), but down is better for stationary warmth.

Totally agree with this. I noticed when I switched to First Lite's blend Areowool I was feeling much dryer than with pure merino and didn't get that post-hike chill near as bad with the blended shirts.

Get a quality down jacket for sitting it will block the wind just fine.

I would also switch to the Klamath Hoody over the Chama. Its warmer and blocks wind better.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Montana and I've hunted in below zero weather a few times (not by choice, the weather just likes to change when you are up in the mountains) and I wear a double layer of just about everything but I can sit in sub zero weather while the wind blows at 30 mph. I use the setup below while driving on the 4 wheeler and I'm perfectly warm. I add and remove the stuff but wear it all if I'm sitting at a ground stand in cold/windy weather. I also carry a pack and while walking I don't wear the jacket or the headgear, sometimes I wear the vest but in the 30's even that's a bit too hot.

Underwear
Your choice but I use synthetic since they are thinner and I use them just to help keep clean.

Socks
Cotton lightweight sock liner
Heavy wool socks

Long underwear/insulation layer
Heavyweight ECSW type long underwear (top and bottom)

Pants/shirt - outside layer
Sitka Stratus pants
Sitka Traverse Zip T

Everything that follows is worn as needed.

Vest
Sitka Stratus Vest

Jacket
Sitka Kelvin Light Hoody

Gloves
Sitka Traverse
Sitka Stormfront

Headgear
Sitka Jetstream
Old tankers wool cap

Toe Warmers
Hand Warmers

I purchased a KUIU 97 peloton hoody this fall and am totally sold. This is the warmest baselayer I've ever used.
My layers went on like this:
-KUIU 130 T shirt
-KUIU 97 HOODY
- SITKA TRAVERSE HOODY
- SITKA KELVIN LITE HOODY (If @ or below 20ish)
- SITKA CELSIUS
-Cabelas Bow Hunters Vest
I kept plenty warm in 8-10hr long sits in a treestand with 20mph winds

I could see that being a problem simply because wool holds moisture similar to cotton. It may insulate better than other fabrics when wet, but I've found when I'm wet, I'm cold. I have First Lite wool and if I sweat at in it from walking, it holds the moisture. I've found that layering synthetic then wool works better. This way the synthetic wicks it away fast to the wool which then insulates even when damp.

Totally agree with this. I noticed when I switched to First Lite's blend Areowool I was feeling much dryer than with pure merino and didn't get that post-hike chill near as bad with the blended shirts.

This is exactly my experience with FL wool. Supposedly other wools wick better but I don't know. I think it's the nature of the fiber.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Kenai also. Unless it's cold enough that I need an insulated jacket while active I use a heavier Kifaru LPP for sitting. The Kenai is designed to be breathable for when you have to wear an insulating layer while moving. On a podcast Jason Hairston said he used the Superdown over it when sitting when he used it, layered them. I also find that the Sitka Mountain jacket or vest are great. Really thin layers that block the wind extremely well. I usually have one or the other in my layering system, sometimes even both. The vest over a base layer and fleece is what I use a lot when moving when it's cold and windy.