Best Hoodie

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for advice on a general use base layer hoodie. Considering the FirstLite Kiln Hoodie (former Chama), Sitka fanatic hoodie, kuiu peloton 200 zipt hoodie. I’m looking for a hooded layer that can be worn against the skin or over a tighter base layer. In deer camp I may wear this for several days straight, so merino is a plus for odor control. What is everyone using and what has been your experience? Is this an old ford vs chevy type of arguement or is there a clear leader in this space?

Love the Kiln, loved the Chama before that - can't speak to the others as I haven't tried them. If you want Merino, I would go FL.

I really like the kiln. Used it as you said, with a merino base layer underneath on a couple 3-4 night backpacking trips and no odor. Really like it for hiking and would wear it to bed also if the temp dropped below freezing. Worked great for me. I also have the Klamath hoodie and it is a little bit warmer, but it is a synthetic. Love both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
My vote would be the Apex hoody from sitka, next core heavy weight hoody and lastly the fanatic( the mitten deal bugs me)

The apex is merino blend, held up really well through two bowhunts for elk this year, good warmth to weight and large temp comfort range. If it came in a soild color it would probably replace my core heavy weight aa my go to peice.
The core heavy weight I have worn from the sub artic to the Mexico boarder...its excellect.

Another hoody I like is the Patagonia R1...really solid piece of gear.

I have full zip Simms hoody that is polartec that is clone of the sitka core Heavy weight except the full zip.

OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should also add the FL Klamath to the lisT

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in love with my Peloton 97 Hoody from Kuiu. Might be my favorite piece they have.

I have the First Lite Kiln 250 and the First Lite Klamath Hoody and I loves the Kiln but it didn’t provide the warmth I needed even in a early season high country hunt. So that why I bought the Klamath and it’s significantly warmer. For mid layers hoody I would stay with grid fleece.

P Carter

WKR
I have the peloton 97 and Sitka core heavyweight. For next to skin I would consider the peloton 97. It’s not super warm, but very warm for the weight and a great next to skin layer in low temps. I love the core heavyweight too but it’s a grid fleece that, for me at least, would be too heavy next to skin and probably lead to too much sweating. It’s better as a mid layer imho. The peloton 97 has replaced my prior merino hoodie, Ibex hooded indie; I’ve found it to be simultaneously lighter, warmer, and yet seemingly cooler also. I think because it doesn’t retain moisture like the wool did.

Wolfey

FNG
Just throwing it out there in case you like the idea. The airblaster merino suit is pretty nice to wear over a baselayer t shirt. Ice breaker has a similar suit too. I've found the airblaster on Amazon for like $80 compared to its $200 retail price.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m looking for advice on a general use base layer hoodie. Considering the FirstLite Kiln Hoodie (former Chama), Sitka fanatic hoodie, kuiu peloton 200 zipt hoodie. I’m looking for a hooded layer that can be worn against the skin or over a tighter base layer. In deer camp I may wear this for several days straight, so merino is a plus for odor control. What is everyone using and what has been your experience? Is this an old ford vs chevy type of arguement or is there a clear leader in this space?

All of those are a bit much for a next to skin layer IMO. For next to skin, the merino/synthetic blends are where it’s at. The FL Aerowool 150 and maybe 200, First-Spear ACM 100, etc. are fantastic as next to skin layers.

After using and testing merino and synthetics for the last three years, I, nor anyone I work or hunt with use pure merino anymore. It’s all synthetic or merino/synthetic blends. Merino just takes too long to dry and the whole “warm when wet” thing is nonsense when “wet” is against your skin and it’s cold.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
You are right and the more I think about this, it will be worn as a middle layer overtop my thin merino base. I’m set on Grid fleece of some sort for durability. It’s either going to be the Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody or the FL Klamath.

kipper09

WKR
Patagonia R1 hoody is hard to beat. Pretty much the same as the Sitka core heavyweight but cheaper and solid color which you may prefer or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Actually just ordered an R1 from REI. %30 off the green color. Still may pick up a Klamath, but only if the R1 is a let down.

All of those are a bit much for a next to skin layer IMO. For next to skin, the merino/synthetic blends are where it’s at. The FL Aerowool 150 and maybe 200, First-Spear ACM 100, etc. are fantastic as next to skin layers.

After using and testing merino and synthetics for the last three years, I, nor anyone I work or hunt with use pure merino anymore. It’s all synthetic or merino/synthetic blends. Merino just takes too long to dry and the whole “warm when wet” thing is nonsense when “wet” is against your skin and it’s cold.

My feelings exactly. Been there with Merino and don't like it as a top base layer. I've said it before, the COSTCO Paradox poly, Merino treated blend zip-neck long sleeve tees for $20 (CA) last 5 times as long as way more expensive Merino and to me are way more comfortable to hunt in, backpack in and sleep in. They dry way faster and are more comfortable when you are sweating than Merino. Really can tell when you get in damp or wet weather. They aren't camo but usually I have a Microtex shirt over them or a KUIU Pelton 240 full zip hoody this past year.

I’ve had several of the FL and kuiu hoodies and liked them all, but I recently bought a skre wool 300 wt and it is nicer than both of the others I’ve tried

bbrown

WKR
I really like my Kiln/Chama hoodies but i would say fleece over wool for the general purpose mid-layer hoodie.

Hard to find but the WildThings Gear WindPro hoody is the best I have used from mountaineering or hunting brands. Speaking of which anyone have one in good shape in medium or large they want to part with? Mine is looking pretty haggard over the years now...

Big338

FNG
I have used the Klamath hoody on an October mtn goat hunt and now November elk hunt. Loved this new piece of gear for layering. Very warm, wind resistant, and super comfortable.