Puffy Pants - Sitka, FL, KUIU?

I have a pair of the gray military surplus puffy pants, and while they serve their purpose, they are heavy (32oz), and bulky (you probably couldn't stuff them in a coffee can). If I am going to continue to do some cold weather hunts, I may invest in some better puffy pants, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out...

I can see the weights online, but I'm curious what the warmth and compressed size differences are between these:

-Sitka Kelvin Lite
-Kuiu Super Down Ultra
-Kuiu Super Down Pro
-First Lite Uncompahgre
-Any other comparable pants?

ianpadron

WKR
If you can track down some Kuiu Kenai puffy pants, get them! Not as compressible as the superdown but they are incredibly breathable. I hike in mine daily during the late season/winter under my Sitka Timberlines. Can't do that with the Superdowns or Kelvins without developing some serious swamp-ass.

The Kelvins don't pack well at all and are pricey for Primaloft gear.

The 3/4 length is also incredibly well thought out for layering.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

If camo is not important to you, I would also include Goose Feet Gear to your list. There are probably some very good other ones out there as well, I just don’t have any experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Arcteryx has a couple good pairs. Alpha lt are probably comparable to Kelvin lite or kenai. The fusion are heavier and wind resistant.
Arc'teryx LEAF Fusion Pant (OS) (Discontinued Model 18224) Veteran Owned & Operated | U.S. Elite Gear
Arc'teryx LEAF Atom LT Pant (Model 14647) Veteran Owned & Operated | U.S. Elite Gear
Some good deals on that site depending on your size.
Patagucci has some as does mountain hardwear and western mountaineering offers some good down ones. Can't go wrong with any of those really.
Rob.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

What features are the most important to you ie., wt, compactness, pockets or not, full length leg zips or not, etc.?
Here are three pictures of medium Goose Feet Gear without any options, and three pictures of medium Kuiu with all those options. The GFG pants are quite a bit warmer as well.
0342c2b0155982fbbd439c168c7cc84c.jpg

fa845139a316aed11a7d2dff54fbef8f.jpg

188f222a440bca91902e22af32042741.jpg

c2485761d126e5f5341f3118c517d65a.jpg

30fb8a3762468e16c1be6788d07cbd4a.jpg

f1fb4d0ae19253c0f96d2209d9e7c07a.jpg

OP
cornfedkiller
What features are the most important to you ie., wt, compactness, pockets or not, full length leg zips or not, etc.?
Here are three pictures of medium Goose Feet Gear without any options, and three pictures of medium Kuiu with all those options. The GFG pants are quite a bit warmer as well.

Thanks Troutbum. I would prefer full side zips, but don't care about pockets. And I know there will be a trade-off between weight/compressibility and warmth, so I don't really know where my preference lies. I want them to be warm enough to keep me warm when I'm glassing and its in single digits. If they arent any warmer than that, it really doesnt pay to carry them.. So it the Kuiu Ultras will easily do that, then maybe there isn't a reason to spend the extra money and weight for the Pros. And I'd prefer camo, but its not necessary.

Which Kuiu pants are those? I assume Ultra based off the weight...

Also, off subject but what dry bags are you using there?

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Kenai pants from Kuiu mentioned earlier and they are nice if you have to move in them. They aren't as warm as the others mentioned, but are very breathable. I heard a podcast where they interviewed Jason Hairston about the puffy layers and he said he used the Kenai late season when he had to move with insulation on. He had the Superdown Ultra pants and jacket in his pack full time also, he considered them a combo of emergency gear and insulation for glassing. I took from the podcast that he would layer them over the kenai if he had to.

I bought the Superdown Pro pants recently. I haven't used them to much yet. Today I put them on to chore around the ranch as we had a white-out blizzard going. Winds 20-50mph and temps in the 20's when I was out. The snow drifted enough I don't know how much we really had. Anyway the pants were to hot for what I did today and I ended up taking them off. Walking around feeding cattle and opening gates then getting back in the truck to go to the next spot they were to hot. I felt like I got hot on my legs faster than my upper body with my Kifaru LPP jacket. I think the down is much less breathable than the LPP and probably at least as warm from my limited use.

The pants are loud when they swish together or brush against stuff. I looked at the Ucompaghre pants also but read enough reviews about them being fragile I stayed away. The Kuiu having the re-enforced patches on the knees and butt was a selling point to me. I like that feature on the LPP jacket. I hunt some spots for whitetail I sneak into and lay prone behind the rifle so this is a nice feature for me. Mine weigh 19oz but don't shrink to tiny. Without putting them in a stuff sack they roll up about the size of 1.5 Nalgene bottles for example.

Which Kuiu pants are those? I assume Ultra based off the weight...

Also, off subject but what dry bags are you using there?
I think they’re the first ones that Kuiu came out with, I’ve had them for about 5 years give or take. The dry bag is a small or x-small cuben fiber, Mountain Laurel Designs.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used the first gen super down, Sitka kelvin (not the lite), kenai. Kelvin was the warmest, heaviest, bulkiest. Sd pretty good balance of everything. Kenai great for being active but definitely not even close to the warmth of the sd. The sd fell short for me when ice fishing (0-15) after a couple hours.

Recently bought some UA alpine ops puffy pants. 16oz 4.5oz of 800fp down, full leg zips. Worked great today where the sd was a bit cool. My local sportsman’s had them for $200.

Something I didn’t care for with Sitka is they only zip to the waist. That works quicker in the field but muddy boots will trash them.

Feathered Friends is an option if you don’t need camo.

Since you have the surplus pants I would probably get the ultra for when size and weight matter more, plus they’re on sale.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I want them to be warm enough to keep me warm when I'm glassing and its in single digits. If they arent any warmer than that, it really doesnt pay to carry them

None of the puff pants you listed are even remotely single digit stationary insulation. Not even close.

To do that that you will need to go to true expedition weight down puff pant with 10’ish ounces of insulation, or the Nunatak pants with 5oz APEX.

GotDraw?

WKR
Goose Feet Gear- you can have them build EXACTLY what you need/want. I am buying a pair for my brother for Xmas.

Custom fit to your waist, butt, thigh, calf and inseam measurements.

These can be ordered to keep you warm in ANY weather. You choose the level of fill from 2.5 to 8 oz of down (listed on their site), but it would not surprise me if you could get far more if need it.

You can choose to add reinforced knee/butt fabric to increase ruggedness so you can zip these over your hiking pants and sit on rock, ground, etc while glassing.

Pick your fabric weight/colors.

You can choose zipper length up to full zip if desired.

You can specify if you want sewn-through construction or baffled construction (to reduce cold spots). Baffle construction requires at least 5.5 oz of fill

JL

OP
cornfedkiller
None of the puff pants you listed are even remotely single digit stationary insulation. Not even close.

To do that that you will need to go to true expedition weight down puff pant with 10’ish ounces of insulation, or the Nunatak pants with 5oz APEX.

Thanks for letting me know that Formidilosus..

What if I am only going to be stationary for an hour or so?

OP
cornfedkiller
Recently bought some UA alpine ops puffy pants. 16oz 4.5oz of 800fp down, full leg zips. Worked great today where the sd was a bit cool. My local sportsman’s had them for $200.

Those look interesting. They are warmer than the Super Down Pros?

How small is the stuff sack?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

They’re warmer than the 1st gen super down which is very similar to the current ultra. My guess is that they are close to the pro. Both have about the same quantity of down but it’s 850(kuiu) vs 800(ua) fill power. Stand by for the stuff sack size.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
If you're not wedded to pants, you might want to check out the Enlightened Equipment snow wrap. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a pair for next year. It's essentially a snow skirt *stop laughing* that packs down super small, and will help add some warmth. Easy on, easy off, *i said stop laughing* and it obviously breaths well. If you're glassing for an hour or two, it might be just the ticket when paired with leggings, and a lined softshell pant.

It comes with either 2oz Apex or 4oz Apex insulation, and they weigh a little over 6oz and 9oz respectively. Plus it only costs about $80.
https://enlightenedequipment.com/snow-wrap-custom/

Goose Feet Gear- you can have them build EXACTLY what you need/want. I am buying a pair for my brother for Xmas.

Custom fit to your waist, butt, thigh, calf and inseam measurements.

These can be ordered to keep you warm in ANY weather. You choose the level of fill from 2.5 to 8 oz of down (listed on their site), but it would not surprise me if you could get far more if need it.

You can choose to add reinforced knee/butt fabric to increase ruggedness so you can zip these over your hiking pants and sit on rock, ground, etc while glassing.

Pick your fabric weight/colors.

You can choose zipper length up to full zip if desired.

You can specify if you want sewn-through construction or baffled construction (to reduce cold spots). Baffle construction requires at least 5.5 oz of fill

JL

Well this post just cost me $275 on what I believe will be the warmest puffy pants in the galaxy.

OP
cornfedkiller
If you're not wedded to pants, you might want to check out the Enlightened Equipment snow wrap. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a pair for next year. It's essentially a snow skirt *stop laughing* that packs down super small, and will help add some warmth. Easy on, easy off, *i said stop laughing* and it obviously breaths well. If you're glassing for an hour or two, it might be just the ticket when paired with leggings, and a lined softshell pant.

It comes with either 2oz Apex or 4oz Apex insulation, and they weigh a little over 6oz and 9oz respectively. Plus it only costs about $80.
https://enlightenedequipment.com/snow-wrap-custom/

Not laughing one bit. I'm gonna do a little more looking into that.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

There is a sewn in stuff sack (more trouble than it’s worth) I prefer my own (green one) for easy use. Comes in at 16.2oz with included sack. It can compress more if you need to make up some pack space.
5cfd2691e314ba56214680112f0b3fac.jpg