Ragg wool gloves ?

Shraggs

WKR
i struggle with gloves more than anything.

"waterproof" or windproof gloves for me at least, don't breath at all. even when inactive i can only keep these types of gloves on for about 20 minutes before i have to remove them and let them air out. my hands sweat abnormally, walking in the cold i do without any gloves on unless I'm carrying a gun. this is decent to high end stuff bought at cabelas or similar. Note, haven't tried any of the reportedly great offerings from sitka or FL, etc. Yet

if its actually wet and raining and i need to take my glove off for something - trying to get my partially wet hand back in is an aggravation.

went to my non-hunting bin of crap and pulled out some gloves i bought at Menards - ragg wool with 100 grams of thinsulate. used them over the weekend it was pretty cold, very windy and periodically drizzling or misting - but not outright rain.

was really surprised, my hands never got clammy, stayed warm, there aren't thick and can shoot either my bow or gun in them.

wondering if anyone else has had positive experiences with similar, and how they performed when wet

john

ahlgringo

WKR

Trial153

WKR
I have pair of Filson fingerless wool gloves, I bet I have had them for 15 years. The work, no frills no fluff they just work.
On side note Filson makes some kick ass goods

K

Kootenay Hunter

I always sturggle with the same issues, have rag wool, ski gloves, etc. but I find they all are good for spceific cases.

I have a pair of FL Shale gloves, leather and wool, they seem to take the edge off. I'm on the look out for a Gore-Tex mitt that I can throw over top in wet/snowy weather. I find that just walking, my bare hands are fine, but soon as you touch things like rifles, bows, tree, etc. they get cold quick. The gloves help with that contact

Seems like some sort of combo system might be best as you can adapt to the conditions.

I was in a Filson store last week for the first times, nice stuff, but the prices made my wallet run and hide deep in my pockets, I didn't know you could charge $95 for a trucker hat! but I guess i'm not the demographic they're appealing to.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
I have these too and the mitt that goes over them. I waterproofed the mitts with linseed oil and mineral spirts - actually works.

The are big and heavy system tho.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
I love Filson stuff, have a lot and try to bow hunt in all wool as long as I can from weather standpoint. That said I have never noticed their gloves or mitts. I will look.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
I have a few mitts the flip open and I like them for rifle, but not for archery messes with my anchor point.

Thanks so far for the input!

bhylton

WKR
army surplus wool gloves from our local army navy store are money. super cheap, but they get the job done. carry an extra dry set in the field to switch out if need be

ianpadron

WKR
I run rag wool while duck hunting here in Washington, and they are the shit. Even when absolutely sopping wet. Mother Nature gets it right from time to time

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Hands down the best glove I've ever used and have last incredibly long is a pair of bison wool half finger gloves. It's like merino on super steroids.

It's durable, holds up to moisture great, super warm and wind resistant compared to other wool gloves I've had. Not cheap but took a flyer on them and never leave them home

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hands down the best glove I've ever used and have last incredibly long is a pair of bison wool half finger gloves. It's like merino on super steroids.

It's durable, holds up to moisture great, super warm and wind resistant compared to other wool gloves I've had. Not cheap but took a flyer on them and never leave them home

Your not kidding on the not cheap part! $93 for a pair...that's a lot of handwarmers I can buy for that.

I have been wearing the sitka Fanatic glove with ragg wool fingerless over the top. If my hands get cold I just stick a hand warmer between the gloves on the top of my hand.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I know, I got mine at an outdoor show same company but for $45 about 5 years ago. At that price I consider them 1000% return on investment but I can say when I went to get a back up pair and saw full retail I did not pull the trigger.

They are better then any rag wool or merino wool glove ive ever owned so if they went missing I would probably take the plunge or wait for the outdoor show I see them at and try and haggle a new deal again.
Your not kidding on the not cheap part! $93 for a pair...that's a lot of handwarmers I can buy for that.

I have been wearing the sitka Fanatic glove with ragg wool fingerless over the top. If my hands get cold I just stick a hand warmer between the gloves on the top of my hand.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
thebuffalowoolco.com

They are USA made if that helps anyone overcome the price tag, I just quick looked what Sitka wants for some of their gloves and see their stratus glove is $90 at Cabela's and 50 for merino liners that last what 2 weeks before they get holes in them with any serious use.
Tountahowak, where can i get these?

jolemons

WKR
Wool with a waterproofed chopper mit to go over top. Been working well for over 100 years for guys that lived in the outdoors

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
jolemons, been thinking that and started looking for that (my military ones just too heavy and bulky for backcountry), got any links or brands to suggest?

jolemons

WKR
jolemons, been thinking that and started looking for that (my military ones just too heavy and bulky for backcountry), got any links or brands to suggest?
I have a pair from LL bean that I've been using for the last few years. Lots to choose from on Amazon though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk