Durable Puffy Jacket

Benjblt

WKR
So I'm looking for something that doesn't seem to exist: A puffy jacket that's durable. I'm looking for a insulation jacket that you could bust brush if you wanted to. For reference, something in the 70D range or greater. With all the great fabric out there I don't know why there aren't more options. I like to have a light puffy that you can layer over and do have several puffies like that, synthetic and down. I want a synthetic that can work as an out layer. It wouldn't need to be any warmer as I feel you could just layer underneath it. It would only need 60 to 100 grams of insulation in the body. Or roughly 3 oz to 3.5 oz if you work in oz (I know this is not a direct conversion from grams to oz before you start correcting me :) ) Anyone have suggestions on a jacket that fits this mold? It would be nice if it was compressible and lightweight but obviously this is where the sacrifice would come in. Something that weighs around 25 oz I think would be reasonable.

bates

WKR
i was surprised with how durable the kifaru is.

ive worn mine in tall willows making trails and also went through some pretty thick stuff on a horse hitting trees, willows etc that i really thought would have torn it. surprised me not to see a scratch on it. its tough...

92xj

WKR
A little outside the box...
The Sitka duck oven jacket.
Comparing it to my uncompahgre and lost Park parka. It's as warm if not warmer. The outer skin is far more durable and weather proof than the other two. Downside is no hood.
Weight is 31 oz. Never tried to stuff it so not sure how packable it is.
Something to smoke on for ya...

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would have to say that the most durable one I have used and found that works the best is the kelvin down ws jacket from sitka. Last years model was not durable because it did not have the wind stopper shell so busting bush was very tuff with a puffy but I have been pretty ruff with my puffy and it sure has held up very well. Just asking for a puffy that is as durable as the Jetstream jacket from sitka is asking for a lot but I hope this helps.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm looking for something that doesn't seem to exist: A puffy jacket that's durable. I'm looking for a insulation jacket that you could bust brush if you wanted to. For reference, something in the 70D range or greater. With all the great fabric out there I don't know why there aren't more options. I like to have a light puffy that you can layer over and do have several puffies like that, synthetic and down. I want a synthetic that can work as an out layer. It wouldn't need to be any warmer as I feel you could just layer underneath it. It would only need 60 to 100 grams of insulation in the body. Or roughly 3 oz to 3.5 oz if you work in oz (I know this is not a direct conversion from grams to oz before you start correcting me :) ) Anyone have suggestions on a jacket that fits this mold? It would be nice if it was compressible and lightweight but obviously this is where the sacrifice would come in. Something that weighs around 25 oz I think would be reasonable.

I'm not sure what the denier of it is... but the Snugpak SJ3 might work for you. They use a proprietary rip-stop nylon called Paratex Micro, and from what I've read it's pretty durable. There's a pretty good review about it on YouTube:
[video=youtube;F0E2viGgPjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0E2viGgPjA[/video]

Pnuma Insulator is very durable and tough. I have a medium for sale here...not saying that because I am selling one. It is an impressive piece.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm not sure what the denier of it is... but the Snugpak SJ3 might work for you. They use a proprietary rip-stop nylon called Paratex Micro, and from what I've read it's pretty durable. There's a pretty good review about it on YouTube:
[video=youtube;F0E2viGgPjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0E2viGgPjA[/video]

This looks interesting. I wish they had a hood though.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Kifaru, absolutely LOVE it, and as far as puffy's go, pretty damn durable and feels like I'm wrapped up in my sleeping bag. The Sitka Kelvin down was also surprisingly tougher than I expected.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm gonna have to try out a LPP one day...shoulda snagged one when they had the sale.

It isnt truly as warm ad people tend to say, however it is definitely the most used puffy I have. And I have quite a few.

Actually, it and the waffle top (Patagonia R1) are probably the most used insulation pieces across the board.