Sitka System Help

n8saki

FNG
Look for a simple set up that will be used for archery season and maybe some late season - Live out west in SoCal - will hunt AZ/ID/Nevada Elk

Currently have:
[Subapline]
Lightweight Core Hoody
Jet Stream Vest
Ascent Ball Cap

Area in need of solid suggestions

[Subalpine]
Timberline Pants
JetStream Jacket
Kelvin Active Jacket

Don't really need an insulation piece and rain gear as I have Arcteryx Atom Hoody / Rain Gear. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Have you considered a lighter weight pant? I love durability as much as the next guy, but September can be pretty warm, especially if you're doing any hiking. My early season pants have been another brand, but they are likely getting replaced with the Sitka Ascents for next season.

If it were me, I'd only need one jacket between your Atom LT and the Kelvin Active since they are pretty similar. The Atom LT has 60g of insulation, the Kelvin Active has 80g. I've used an Atom a TON during early and mid season hunts and it's fantastic. For me, I decided to go significantly warmer for my 'next up' insulation pieces (Kifaru LPP and Sitka Down WS).

Also, do you plan to backpack hunt? Base camp at the truck/trail head?

Trial153

WKR
I think your list is fine. I own every peice you listed.
The one change i would make would be going with grinders or mounatin pants vs the timberline. Grinders would be my first choice as I think they are sitka best pants right now. Both them and the mounatin pants will he ok early season and late with proper base. The timberline will be pretty heavy early season.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn the Ascent pants for the most part of two archery seasons now, same pair still no holes. Horseback hunts, backpack hunts, wall tent hunts in Colorado and Montana. Weight doesn't get any better for warm early season and when it starts getting cooler I wear over the calf socks and pull them up/push them down to regulate temperature. I had the Jetstream jacket, left it in the truck, the combo of the kelvin active and Jetstream vest were plenty and if I needed I threw on my rain shell to insulate, happened one time.
I would recommend throwing in either a light merino beanie or the jetstream beanie. I personally carry both, probably for dumb reasons, but can definitely get away with one or the other.

OP
N

n8saki

FNG
Have you considered a lighter weight pant? I love durability as much as the next guy, but September can be pretty warm, especially if you're doing any hiking. My early season pants have been another brand, but they are likely getting replaced with the Sitka Ascents for next season.

If it were me, I'd only need one jacket between your Atom LT and the Kelvin Active since they are pretty similar. The Atom LT has 60g of insulation, the Kelvin Active has 80g. I've used an Atom a TON during early and mid season hunts and it's fantastic. For me, I decided to go significantly warmer for my 'next up' insulation pieces (Kifaru LPP and Sitka Down WS).

Also, do you plan to backpack hunt? Base camp at the truck/trail head?

Thank you for the advice, have been looking at the Ascent pants but was unsure of them if it got cold. Looks like I will be ordering those. Was guessing that the Atom LT was similar. Currently planning truck/trail but want to backpack hunt. Need a partner which is hard to find.

I think your list is fine. I own every peice you listed.
The one change i would make would be going with grinders or mounatin pants vs the timberline. Grinders would be my first choice as I think they are sitka best pants right now. Both them and the mounatin pants will he ok early season and late with proper base. The timberline will be pretty heavy early season.

Thank you will take a look at those.

I've worn the Ascent pants for the most part of two archery seasons now, same pair still no holes. Horseback hunts, backpack hunts, wall tent hunts in Colorado and Montana. Weight doesn't get any better for warm early season and when it starts getting cooler I wear over the calf socks and pull them up/push them down to regulate temperature. I had the Jetstream jacket, left it in the truck, the combo of the kelvin active and Jetstream vest were plenty and if I needed I threw on my rain shell to insulate, happened one time.
I would recommend throwing in either a light merino beanie or the jetstream beanie. I personally carry both, probably for dumb reasons, but can definitely get away with one or the other.

Thank you for the advice, are you wearing the vest under or over the Kelvin active? Looks like the Ascent Pants are the way to go.

OP
N

n8saki

FNG
Any suggestions on the Mountain Jacket as an outer layering system over the Jetstream vest and core LWH? Thanks

Forest

WKR
Definitely suggest the mountain pants over the timberlines for "all season" type use, even the mountains can be a little warm in the early season but not bad. I don't have the jetsream vest (I do the jacket). but I would think that over a kelvin active would cover you in a lot of conditions. Mountain jacket is basically a very good windbreaker, not sure you really need the mountain jacket and jestream vest. They serve a very similar purpose other than one not having sleeves obviously ha. Personally I would want a mid/outerlayer, I wear my traverse zip t a lot when its a little chilly. But maybe the kelvin active would suffice??

Last edited:
OP
N

n8saki

FNG
Definitely suggest the mountain pants over the timberlines for "all season" type use, even the mountains can be a little warm in the early season but not bad. I don't have the jetsream vest (I do the jacket). but I would think that over a kelvin active would cover you in a lot of conditions. Mountain jacket is basically a very good windbreaker, not sure you really need the mountain jacket and jestream vest. They serve a very similar purpose other than one not having sleeves obviously ha. Personally I would want a mid/outerlayer, I wear my traverse zip t a lot when its a little chilly. But maybe the kelvin active would suffice??

Thanks, without having a retailer near it's pretty hard to figure out the system. Just looking for an outer layer that would go over the core lw and vest and an Arcteryx Atom LT. Don't want to buy a bunch of gear that's already repetitive.

Forest

WKR
Im not familiar with the Arcteryx, but guessing you wont want to wear that other than when stationary. A core lw, js vest, puffy, and say a mtn jacket to block wind would be VERY warm. That's like a late season low activity setup. A mountain jacket wont provide much warmth, but will certainly block the wind and likely a pretty good water repellency