Kuiu peleton 97 fit and durability?

davescarp

WKR
So I purchased both the hoody version and the regular zip-t. First, they fit completely differently. I received in the mail last night and tried them on. The hoody in size medium fit me well, like I figured a base layer should, relatively form fitting but not excessively tight. The zip t in medium was noticeably more loose fitting. not huge but noticeably different and not sure why they would be different.

Second. I wore the hoody while watching Jeopardy on my couch. I took it off 30 minutes later and there was a bunch of fabric pulls on the front. This was from laying on my couch watching TV, I can't imagine what would happen actually hunting. Curious what everyone else has seen with fit and durability on these pieces. I'm 5'7" and 170ish pounds. Mediums in everything fit me really well usually. Kuiu sizing seems to be a little all over the place I guess.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
Love how the 97 is so light weight, but I've noticed durability issues with my hoody. Mainly due to pilling under shoulder straps (granted, it probably isn't meant to be an 'outer layer') and snags due to catclaw and mesquites in southern AZ. Not much gets away unscathed from catclaw and mesquite though, so not sure that is a fair test.

I recently got the 97 bottoms as well, but haven't worn those, so it will be interesting to see how durable those are.

Agree KUIU's sizings seem to be all over, depending on item, version of item, etc. I'm about the same size as you (5'8" / 170 lbs) and fluctuate between mediums and larges depending on how I want the fit. Medium probably technically fits me better, but I like a looser fit with some items, so go with Large.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the zip T. But at 5’10 185lbs large couldn’t fit better. I love everything about that Hoody except the durability. Really lacking in that area. With that said, it’s probably the most comfortable price of clothing I own. Breathable, warm, good concealment. Perfect mid layer, or outer layer while hiking above tree line. This fits in perfect in my sheep gear list. 125 merino, peloton 97, super down, Chugach rain jacket. Just keep the Velcro away from that thing

• Banned
OP
davescarp

davescarp

WKR
yeah i was just surprised how both fit different, but were both mediums. I didn't expect those would hold up to thorns, but figured my couch was safe! haha. Overall, I find Kuiu outer wear to fit much better than base or mid layers, but that's just my .02

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had issues with sizing with them, but then again I haven’t tried most of their stuff. Yeah the couch is surprising. My dog jumped up on me to greet me as I came through the door and his nail made a snag. That’s when I was very aware of the durability issues

yeah i was just surprised how both fit different, but were both mediums. I didn't expect those would hold up to thorns, but figured my couch was safe! haha. Overall, I find Kuiu outer wear to fit much better than base or mid layers, but that's just my .02
I've noticed variability among the same size in some of their stuff. I'm wondering if it has to do with when they are made. On the tag print, at the bottom it'll have a quarter year, like 3Q18. I assume that's the mfg quarter and I'm guessing that is essentially their lot number. Are they both from the same quarter?

I just bought some. My intention is for them to be a mid layer that lives in my pack quite often. Time will tell how they hold up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've found Kuiu sizing to be very consistent.

I bought a 97 hoody this fall. I absolutely fell in love with it in terms of comfort. But I wore it UNDER another layer and walking through pine trees got several snags in the fabric. Very disappointed with the durability.

I had problems with the first 240 I bought. That thing snagged like crazy too. Then my friend bought one and had zero issues with snagging, so I bought a later version and it has been fine.

So maybe they get a bad run of fabric every so often or something. My hope is the snagging issue goes away, as I really like the 97 otherwise.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
They do sew up fine. I was on a scouting trip in the Chugach Range this last summer for my upcoming archery tag, I ended up attempting to drop into a gorge I shouldn't have and made a wrong step, ended up sliding real fast about 50ft on shale hugging the side of the mountain going down. Ripped a nice chunk on the right bicep of my 97, sewed it up and it the fabric seems to be holding fine. But if im moose hunting in the brush, this piece will be staying home. Because it just gets thrashed so easily. The solid black has caught my eye for a around town hoody though.

sr80

WKR
I also picked up a 97, and was wearing it around the house, and hour later my wife noticed that on the left arm there was a bunch of snags and threads hanging out. Mine is headed back to kuiu. The shirt is really really warm for how thin and lightweight it is. But it doesn't seem like it'll be very durable.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I got a new 97 top and bottom in the sale. I caught the arm of the hoody with a hangnail and put a pull in the fabric first time I tried it on. I figured the jersey face would be tougher really. I do think the fit is awesome. Like my merino, I see pack straps chewing this thing up.

Anyone used this “MAKSPEC” treatment like the 96 has for longer duration hunts? I’ve considered using a SS merino tee and the 130 or 97 (season dependent) over the top. Curious how that will do odor wise, I always run merino LS right now.....

I think it’s like most kuiu stuff - it’s light, but you’re going to see wear.....I have tons of pulls in my 240 top, but it’s actually held up long term quite well, and the full zip is so nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
The peloton 97 top is not going to win any fashion shows at the end of a hunting season. It will be full of snags. But that top is money! I have found nothing that works better than a short sleeve merino with the 97 hoody! So much warmth, yet breathable. Super versatile. Weighs nothing. My favorite piece!!!

I bought the 97 hoody in M here on Rokslide and sold it after I knew it wouldn't hold up and it was cut really short. Like, it was maybe a couple inches below my belt. If you reached to get something off a high shelf the world would see your belly button.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I found the same thing it was cut really short, I'm Xl in all my kuiu tops and the 97 is smaller and shorter then everything else. It's a great shirt for me sheep hunting, wearing it with a pack it doesn't hold up well. But its so warm and breathable for its weight, how much durability can you get out of something that light? It lasted me a yr using 20 plus days with my pack on, yes it has some small holes in it and looks like hell but did serve its purpose. The price tag I find high especially for us Canadians, but i'll buy another and beat the s#$t out of it for another yr.

sr80

WKR
I was going to send mine back, but decided to hang onto it. For how warm this top is for the weight i think itll be a good trade off. I think this 97 is warmer than the 200 peloton I used to have. I usually wear large in kuiu tops, but decided to get the XL in this top for some extra length in the sleeves, I dont find that it is too short in the torso though. Seems about perfect for me at 6'2 195

I was going to send mine back, but decided to hang onto it. For how warm this top is for the weight i think itll be a good trade off. I think this 97 is warmer than the 200 peloton I used to have. I usually wear large in kuiu tops, but decided to get the XL in this top for some extra length in the sleeves, I dont find that it is too short in the torso though. Seems about perfect for me at 6'2 195
Its supposed to be warmer than the 240, but the new 200 with the same fleece liner should be warmer than the 97. Not sure when they added the karuishi fleece liner to the line but that is supposedly the difference maker.

Like I said earlier, mine is likely to live in my pack when not in use and is not likely to be worn on the outside. Will see what happens next year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
I found it to be cut really short and snags easy. But it is comfortable and warmth to weight is good.

Anyone used this “MAKSPEC” treatment like the 96 has for longer duration hunts? I’ve considered using a SS merino tee and the 130 or 97 (season dependent) over the top. Curious how that will do odor wise, I always run merino LS right now.....

I wore a 97 hoody with a SS merino underneath for 14 days on a sheep hunt. I switched the SS merino with a fresh one halfway through. At the end of the trip the Peleton didn't smell all that bad. It probably rained 10 days of the hunt and it was the only thing that felt warm and dry in the morning. It got a few snags in it but definitely a fixture in my layer system going forward.

WKR
I wore my peleton 97 hoody for my az archery elk hunt for ten days. I think the fit was great and I didnt smell to bad. I think. Haha the durability is a little lacking. I did tear a couple of holes in it during the hunt at the bottom from snagging on something. I still like it for the lightweight and being comfortable even in warm conditions. Wish it was a little bit more durable though.