Silk weight base layer?

Have any of you expiremented with wearing a silk weight base layer, next to skin, below your actual base layers, for late season?

I know a silk weight is part of the military’s ECWCS, I’m just not sure what the thought process is there.

I own a Patagonia capilene top, which is maybe the most comfortable thing I’ve ever worn in the summer.

excaliber

WKR
I wear silk weight bottoms all year long. I run hot so I can use these from early season to late Oct/Nov hunts. They are so comfortable.
I wear them alone without another layer over them. I'd go to a heavier base layer instead of two layers if needed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used silk weight base layers before, and my current merino tops are pretty much similar weight and/or thickness. I'm not sure what two base layers together will accomplish. I want my base layer to wick the sweat away from my skin as quickly and efficiently as possible. I think two together would hinder than.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've used silk weight base layers before, and my current merino tops are pretty much similar weight and/or thickness. I'm not sure what two base layers together will accomplish. I want my base layer to wick the sweat away from my skin as quickly and efficiently as possible. I think two together would hinder than.

Having two base layers doesn’t negatively effect wicking if both are correct.

A silkweight synthetic or merino/synthetic blend baselayer will push the moisture into a heavier base layer and away from your skin.

50 degrees and below I always have a lightweight base layer, and if it’s in the single digits I will add a mid-weight waffle base layer over that. The lightweight gets the moisture off my skin, the mid-weight add warmth and continues transporting moisture through the system.

I needed new base layers recently and started looking at Sitka, first lite, minus 33 and such and for the price I couldn't justify it. I used the USMC Frog layers extensively and for the price it only only made sense to get those or the comparable surplus version for a different .mil branch. I've worn the silk weight base layer, then the grid layer on top of that and been fine down to the high 20s with light activity. Id add a fleece top if I was a little cold for whatever reason. I'm sure the top end brand's are great and I'd love to have them, but I have a lot of gear to buy and I knew what I'd be getting into with the surplus stuff. So those are what I ordered instead.

OP
G
I went deep into the WWW and found peckhmanperformancewear.com

Apparently they sell polarized base layers for under $10. I’ll report back if it’s legit.

I also have a hard time dropping over $50 on a base layer that I might shred walking through the timber.