Itchy Merino Wool base layers... Any solution?

sbsyncro

FNG
I have 100% Merino base layers from Patagonia, Smartwool & Kryptek and some blended stuff from Browning and other random stuff. It never used to bother me, but I'm finding now that Merino tops and bottoms are driving me crazy unless I am actively hiking/moving. If I sit still at all, the itch starts to really bug me - it makes glassing intolerable and sleeping even worse. I never had this problem before, but now the same garments I was comfortable in 2 seasons ago, I can't stand.

Its gotten so bad that this weekend I pulled out my REALLY old Duofold polyester ski base layers just to get away from the itch.

No, we haven't changed our brand of laundry soap in 10+ years, and we've always had soft water, so I don't think thats the issue. I always wash in cold water and hang to dry. I think its just that my skin has become more sensitive, which sucks, because I love the properties of Merino wool base layers.

Has anyone found ways to make Merino wool a bit less itchy? I'm wondering if fabric softener or even washing in something like baby shampoo and then conditioning with baby conditioner (does such a thing exist?) might work, given that Merino is hair, after all...

I hate to give up on this (fairly significant) investment of Merino wool clothing... (I still use Smartwool socks almost exclusively and absolutely love them)

You can try liquid lanolin. It’s the natural oil secreted by sheep that can wash off over time. My smartwool stuff bugged me a bit when it was brand new, but wearing it for a week or so seemed to soften it up and probably pull out some of the loose fibers.

I wouldn’t use fabric softener, I read something where it can make merino smell bad for some reason.

Same advice as above.

Also, Not all Merino is created equally, some brands are better than others. Minus33 and Icebreaker I think are softer along with First Lite.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Same advice as above.

Also, Not all Merino is created equally, some brands are better than others. Minus33 and Icebreaker I think are softer along with First Lite.

Agreed 100%. Wool makes my skin crawl with the exception of those 3 brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
The funny thing is that it never used to bother me.

I’ll give First Lite a try and if that doesn’t work, it may be back to stinky polyester and poly pro for me...

Wolfey

FNG
Eddie Bauer has merino/poly blend that I find to not itch at all. I've used a lot of brands and really like the eddie Bauer stuff.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ofl0926

WKR
I really like the first lite merino wool. Very comfortable next to scan. Never had an issue with it being itchy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I found the Patagonia to be a little scratchy as well. I've never tried Smartwool or Kryptek base layers, but I do wear Smartwool merino boots socks over poly liner socks.

My Icebreaker tops are as soft as a new cotton shirt and very comfortable. More comfortable than FL, KUIU, Minus 33, and a few others I've had.

K

Kootenay Hunter

x2 for a lanolin wash.

Not all merino is created equal and some brands' source material is sub par.

Also, how are you washing your wool? Despite whatever tag instructions say, wool should only be washed with mild detergents like Woolite or wool specific cleaners, do not use run-of-the-mill detergents as they will remove the lanolin oils which makes wool less itchy and naturally dirt resistant. Wash them separately from other fabrics, cold water, and hang to dry.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Uh oh.... looks like i might have ruined all my merino wool base layers...

After a bit more research online last night I discovered some scientific info regarding laundry detergents and wool.

Sounds like the detergent I’m using (which is an unscented biodegradable soap from Whole Foods) is probably destroying the wool fibers themselves through enzyme action. On top of that the agitation of the washer causes the fibers to get jaggedy and stick together.

I’m going to try to hit them with some mild hair conditioner to see if that relaxes the fibers, but it looks like I may have just learned an expensive mistake.

This would explain why none of these garments bothered me when new but after a few washings are driving me crazy...

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Funny, when I search for “lanolin wash” about half the results are for “nipple cream”. Gotta love Google sometimes...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always wash my hunting clothes with Atsco Sportswash detergent, but a lot of times throughout the year my merino base tops get washed with all my other clothes and good old original Tide. I've never noticed any change in the wool. I do know that a lot of people are sensitive or allergic to lanolin.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
There are a ton of videos on how to soften wool garments. Knitters know their stuff. The three techniques I came across were a white vinegar soak and wash, lanolin wash, and glycerin wash.

I ended up doing the white vinegar soak and wash, you just dilute some vinegar and let the garment sit in it for a while, or you can run it through the wash with 2 cups of vinegar. I did both, and it worked great for my Badlands merino.

jwooley

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite Aero series is blended and out of all my merino ( Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite) it is the softest ive worn..

alyuaz

WKR
Black Ovis merino from Camofire is easy on your skin and your wallet!
Regular laundry detergent for me, cold cycles, air dry.
I also do not wash any other materials with merino,
one time I had synthetics in with merino and
it came out looking fluffy.

Last edited:

Moellermd

FNG
Uh oh.... looks like i might have ruined all my merino wool base layers...

After a bit more research online last night I discovered some scientific info regarding laundry detergents and wool.

You have a link at all to what you found

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Quick update: After a couple of hand washings with Eucalan wool soap, the smartwool top is no longer itchy. However, the Kryptek and Patagonia tops are still itchy, though possibly a tiny bit less so.

Amazon.com: Fine Fabric Wash 16.9 Oz: Unscented: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Lesson learned - from now on ALL my merino wool clothing and socks will be washed by hand using Eucalan (or something similar). These merino base layers are not cheap and its a shame to screw them up. I thought I was safe tossing them in the washer on "delicate" with regular laundry soap.

I typically wear a lightweight polyester short sleeve t-shirt under my merino tops to prevent the itch. On the bottom I wear a longer pair of snug but not compression boxers under my merino long johns.