Attn veteran first lite users

Hello all

I've been using firstlite for a long time and have worn out my favorite chama. Need to replace it and I noticed they've changed the entire line up. I am 6ft and 175lbs. Long and lanky yet all their gear from that era has felt like it was designed for me. So I am curious of there is anyone out there that has used the old stuff and upgraded to the newer stuff and if they noticed a difference in the sizing/ fit/ or performance? I saw that it's no longer 100% Merino and that worries me as to why they changed.

Anyway your thoughts are appreciated tia

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Can't help you too much with sizing, but I had a chama for a few years and liked it, but got a Kiln hoody after they came out and like it more than the chama. The fabric feels like it has a little more "substance" to it, and the elastic gives it just a little bit of stretch and keeps it form fitting - you don't get the stretched out waist/stomach area like the chama tended to do. The Kiln also seems a little longer in length to me, which is nice, even for a shorter guy like myself (5'9").

If you liked the chama, you won't be disappointed with the Kiln.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For sizing I find the Firstlite stuff runs on the big side. I'm 5'10" and 175lbs and order everything in a medium. In comparison, I wear large in everything I have from Sitka.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m 6’ 190 and I have a Chama from a loooog time ago. I’m talking 6+ years. I don’t know about the new sizing, but I bought a llano recently - same size- and it just about shows my belly button because it is so short. Lots of guys complain about FL sizing and consistency and this was an example that validated those complaints. Don’t know if they are all like that or if I just got an outlier.

OP
M
I’m 6’ 190 and I have a Chama from a loooog time ago. I’m talking 6+ years. I don’t know about the new sizing, but I bought a llano recently - same size- and it just about shows my belly button because it is so short. Lots of guys complain about FL sizing and consistency and this was an example that validated those complaints. Don’t know if they are all like that or if I just got an outlier.
Yeah my chama was around that age. Scares me to order one because of this. In the first gen stuff I was a large and in the second gen I was a medium. The cut was perfect in that second gen. I havent bought much gear since then.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would size down when you replace the Chama. I have a Llano from probably 2011 or earlier and that is a 2XL. Had several others since and gradually had to go down to XL and now this summer when I ordered a Wick SS I originally ordered an XL because that is what I have always been and mixup with the packaging sent me a huge huge shirt labelled Medium. Returned and discussing over the phone First Lite said they never recommend changing sizes from their other shirts I have, but also to follow the size chart. Ended up ordering a Large based on the size chart and that one fits like the original 2XL. I'm pretty much the same size and weight I was in 2011 and I haven't been a size Large in any shirt/jacket/top since the early 2000's when I was still growing inches a day it seemed like.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
The newer pieces in my opinion are better than the older merino. The material has a softer feel to it and feels better against the skin. They added 5% of spandex/nylon to the material to help the material keep its form. As some noted above, after wearing a Chama for 5 days it would be stretched out. I wore my kiln for 5 days this year and it held its shape extremely well. The sizing to me is about the same as it was in the past. I wore a medium in the chama and wear a medium in the kiln. The only piece I feel the sizing is off in is the 150 wick series. I have to order that piece in a large to fit comfortably. Hope that helps.

I balked at the original chama because I felt like I couldn't justify the cost for something that didn't fit me perfectly. The shoulders were slightly tight, arms were long, and the lower torso kind of baggy.

Browsing black Friday sales, I decided to give the new kiln a try. It's a vast improvement in fit for me. At 5'9" 185lb, a large fits me very well. I'm not a big fan of the hood fit, though with a ball cap or brimmed beanie it is good.

I don't have any experience with their older stuff but I just ordered the Obsidian in Medium which are supposed to be 31-33 waiste. Normally I wear just about everything in 32. These are pretty big in the waist (which I expected) but the legs, especially the thighs are also huge. They almost look/feel like parachute pants to me. I feel like I could have worn their Small comfortably.

RAPTOR

WKR
One of the things they changed this year is more consistent sizing. The tops seem to fit like most other company's at this point. Old Medium halstead fleeces, I went with Large this go round and they're perfect...same goes for the base layers

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
One of the main reasons I stick with First Lite is because they fit me really well. I'm 6'4" and long so it's pretty much impossible to find pants that are long enough without being enormous in the waist and sleeves that are long enough without the body fitting like a garbage bag. So yes, they typically fit a little big by most folk's standards. Good news is they offer really easy exchanges now if it doesn't work for you. Just make sure you keep the plastic it comes in and all the tags on! I feel the same as you when you feel like the gear was designed for you so I would recommend going with the same size as before. They're customer service is fantastic so a phone call ahead of time should answer all your questions too.

ArborKat

FNG
I just recently purchased the new areowool long sleeve and short sleeve XL. I'm 6'4, 200lbs and the clothing fit great. Love the fact the sleeves seem longer. I wore a long sleeve kiln for a week this season and it kept its shape just as others have mentioned. I'm really impressed with there new line up. Makes me want to bench all my other 100% merino clothing I have and stick with FL.