Another warmest puffy thread

mcseal2

WKR
I had a Kifaru LPP pullover I wish I had not sold. I ran a full zip LPP this year and don't think it was as warm, although it is still a warm puffy. I like that line but I'm looking at other options after reading a few threads here about how much warmer some of the new ones are.

I bought my first waterproof down item, the Kuiu Superdown Pro pants. I used them the last week sitting for whitetail and was impressed. It got me re-thinking my all synthetic system I've gone with in the past. Also weighing into this was that the owners of the transport business I moose hunted with this year are huge waterproof down fans, they are believers and use it in the worst conditions for down. I guess I take that first item comment back, I've had Kuiu down glassing mittens for a few years now and like them too.

I know that it's not breathable but that isn't an issue to me. When I wear this I'll be stationary.

What is the warmest on the market from the hunting companies? If I buy I want something a level above the LPP in warmth while still being somewhat packable and light. I'm looking primarily at the Chamberlain from FL. Its similar in weight to the LPP. That or the Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket. It claims to have better down but less of it. I'm not needing camo or a hunting brand (although I prefer to support them) if something else is way better on price or warmth. Whitetail hunting I usually put a HPG Mountain Serape over the top of everything anyway.

The times I fight staying warm is when it's slightly above freezing, high humidity, wet, and windy. I have the shell layers already just thinking of a super warm puffy. I currently sometimes layer the LPP over the FL Ucompaghre vest under the HPG Serape and can still get somewhat chilled. It's not unbearable or a hunt ending situation, but the warmer I can get the better I can stay still, quiet, and in the field. Those are all important to me.

Thanks everyone.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Found the Chamberlain/Sitka thread, thanks. Looks like the Chamberlain is the top for hunting brands.

ljalberta

WKR
No experience with the Chamberlain (untreated down) personally. But I do have experience with both treated down (for water resistance) and untreated down. I will not go back to untreated down for extended hunting trips personally. I have been quite impressed with the ability of treated down to maintain loft versus untreated. I have also had an untreated down jacket go flat on me.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I think this list is correct. I put it together from other people's posts on insulation amounts, mostly Form's. Please correct me if I have anything wrong. I figured I'd post it for others use. I think I'm personally going to go with a Chamberlin. I know I left plenty out especially the non-hunting companies but it's a start.

Chamberlin (11oz of down)
Montbell Permafrost (9oz of down)
Sitka WS down (around 9oz of down synthetic mix)
Kuiu Superdown Pro (5oz of treated down)
Kifaru LPP (3.6oz synthetic

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would get a custom Nunatak Skaha made with however much down or Apex YOU specify

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ShariVari

FNG
Best puffies are come from Moncler or Sportalm. When you're looking for a warm puffer with lot of pockets, I highly recommend ski jackets.

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the Kelvin Down WS. The thing is a furnace. With the Windstopper layer, you'll only need your shell if it rains. I haven't tested it in the rain, but I suspect the Windstopper makes it very water resistant for a puffy. Awesome piece of gear.

ShariVari

FNG
Also I would recommend Peuterey ski jackets, if water resistance is a crucial. One of my ex-girlfriend had one, I checked on the net and they make men's ones too.

carter33

WKR
If doing extended backpacking hunts I would stick with synthetic. LPP is good but I like the beyond clothing puffy even better. If you’re just doing day trips I have seen and tried on some awesome arcteryx down puffys that I couldn’t imagine getting cold in but have never owned one as I typically prefer synthetic. Also I think the arcteryx jacket I was looking at that was so warm was something like $800 so that’s another consideration.