Switching to Sitka

hunter2-4

FNG
I've worn First Lite for a couple years and I'm thinking of switching to Sitka because I can't seem to stay warm in FL because I can't seem to keep the wind out unless I wear their rain gear. Just wondering what would be a good initial setup from Sitka. I usually hunt in temps from 45 to about 15 spot and stalk. Sometimes in a stand. Any advice would be super helpful.

Kotaman

WKR
Timberline Pants, core Lightweight Long Johns, Merino 1/4 Zip, Heavy Weight Hoodie, Jetstream Softshell, Kelvin Lite or Kelvin WS Puffy. These items will easily get you through those conditions.

tlkaetz

WKR
My current system:

Sitka Core Silk Weight Boxer
Sitka Core Lightweight Bottom
Sitka Timberline Pants

Either the Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody or Sitka Heavy Weight Hoody

Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody
Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoody

I love the Kelvin Lite Hoody for moderate temps and layer the Kelvin Down WS Hoody over it when temps drop.

Mt Al

WKR
How about in windy conditions? Does the kelvin cut the wind?

I use the Dewpoint for rain and cutting wind. However, Montana rain is generally pretty light and brief, not sure if it would work on Oregon. The first list above is about dead on, IMHO.

I have Sitka base layer wool and it SUCKS compared to first lite. Other than that, I choose my Sitka over any other pieces I have.

Don’t bother with their wool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems silly to ditch all your FL gear because “it can’t keep wind out”. Sounds like you need to incorporate a wind resistant layer somewhere in your system. It could be any brand, kuiu, FL, Sitka, kryptek, Patagonia, Outdoor research, etc unless you are ocd and can’t stand the thought of mixing brands. There is a spectrum of different options from full featured to stripped down wind stopper shells, heavy to light soft shells with tight weaved face fabrics or wind liners, to ultralight wind shirts.

You don’t want a whole outfit of wind resistant garments unless you’re trying to sweat off weight. The base and mid layers people are recommending from Sitka won’t do anything different for you besides maybe dry a bit quicker.

Last edited:
I have both. I mix and match quite a bit.

Love my Woodbury and sanctuary bib for cold stand sitting. The Sitka stand stuff is awesome too but I have never been uncomfortable in my FL stand gear in NY or PA. I have worn it in some decent wind as well.

I ran a north branch jacket for a couple of years. It wasn’t as wind resistant as I wanted it to be and I wanted a hood. I still have it and use it but my jet stream is in the woods nearly all the time with me. Hands down my favorite Sitka piece.

The kelvin is plenty windproof for me but it is noisy if you are bow hunting. I still use my uncomphagre but the kelvin is warmer. Both have their place IMO.

Next to skin is a toss up. In fairness all my FL is wool and all my Sitka is synthetic. I use both depending on conditions. I tend to favor the synthetic when it is wet or raining.

Setting aside the wool vs sync thing, they are both great. I think the Sitka designs are a bit more technical and refined to me but in fairness, my FL stuff is all 3+ years old for the most part so not the latest. I find the Sitka sizing more consistent across the line though I have heard FL is making their stuff more uniformly sized now.

Unless money were no object and you really just wanted to swap it up, I would add in a few Sitka pieces and see how you like it.

Jetsteam, moipuntian pants or timberlines are a good start for your temp ranges. A kelvin jacket. Those are my top 3. If it works go from there.

OP
hunter2-4

hunter2-4

FNG
Thanks for all the advice. You guys are right it would be a waste of money to switch the whole setup. Does anyone know why First Lire doesn’t have anything that stops wind? I have the corrugate and it really doesn’t do much.

I thought the Catalyst jacket was supposed to up their softshell game.

I don’t own a corrugated jacket but have two pair of the pants. They are light and breathable but would be my first choice for wet or windy conditions.

OP
hunter2-4

hunter2-4

FNG
The coragate jacket keeps light rain off but anything more and you’re wet. It does great at keeping the layers underneath from getting snagged. But sitting on the side of a hill in wind last fall it really didn’t do much. It does dry pretty quick. I really don’t dislike any FL stuff but I’m just wondering what people are using from Sitka that might work a little better.

Yeah, I’ve never been interested in the FL soft shells.

In the Sitka line offerings for wind relief in order of weight and warmth: flash pullover, mountain jacket, timberline jacket, jetstream jacket. They are all nice jackets but you could probably pick which best fits your hunting style and layering system.

I’m not stuck to one company! I use what works best by performance kuiu, fl, Sitka, all have great products just pick the garments that works

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are right it would be a waste of money to switch the whole setup. Does anyone know why First Lire doesn’t have anything that stops wind? I have the corrugate and it really doesn’t do much.

Look at a jet stream or kuiu dcs guide. Rock solid soft shells. Very good in wind and light rain. Jet stream has become my go to jacket for temps from 60 to freezing.

The north branch and catalyst is FL version of the Jetstream. They have a windstopper like membrane. They stop wind and are almost waterproof.

Sanctuary and woodbury are also windproof. Unchomphagre is also windproof.