Rain pants crossroads

I'm trying to get my rain gear sorted out. I originally bought a set of Kuiu chugach nx tops and bottoms for my packable rain gear. Then I got to thinking about the potential to tear the bottoms if I am hiking in brush in the rain so I ordered a pair of yukon rain pants and figured I would mix the two sets.

I'm stuck because the yukon are obviously much more stoutly built, but also significantly heavier (10 oz). I tend to day hunt out of a basecamp near the truck at this point and expect that continue for the next year or two.

Do I just suck up the extra 10 oz? Or are the chugach stronger than they feel?

The other nice piece about the yukins is they have pockets which the chugach dont.

Anyone want to offer any advise based on experience? I plan to send 1 pair back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the chugach should be fine. I have the ultra nx rain gear and was worried about it's durability but it's been pretty good so far, Western wa archery elk and modem rifle deer. Been way of getting too rough with it but still crossing through salmon berry, some then6 stuff, trees, etc. All the fun stuff one deals with out here and it's held up. The ultra is lighter than the chugach. The yukon should be great for the brush part but not as packable would be the only drawback.

JP100

WKR
Depends on a few things

1) are you hard on gear generally?

2) how often do you expect to wear them?

3)If you are just day hunting, weights not really an issue??

4) what type of country are you in? Do you wear holes in your pants often?

For me personally the chugach was no good. I got the jacket and pants as a set.
Pants lasted like 2 trips and were rooted big time.
Jacket I have looked after and has lasted well, because I am careful with it.

Even the Yukon for me will not last that long, so I went a cheaper/more durable option.

Horses for courses