SEAK rain gear getting wet inside

Hey guys. I'm not sure what to think of my new FL SEAK set. I put it to task today with heavy rain and heavy wind for 5 hours. Half was stationary and half was slow moving. I didn't really ever break a sweat. All zips were closed and hood was on most of the day. When I got back to my truck I noticed my Sawtooth jacket that I wore underneath was wet. Upon feeling the jacket, it was cold and wet on the inside. My pants were similarly wet on the inside. What is going on here? Has the rain gear failed already or is this just some sort of condensation build up? Does anyone with heavy duty rain gear ever experience this? Also, how dry should I realistically expect to stay when hunting in inclement weather? I am in the PNW and it rains all the time here. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

at least when you are moving you should open the vents under your arms and I usually zip the side zips down on my legs ass well

colersu22

WKR
I have seen a couple threads like this but have never had a problem with my seak jacket. Only time I feel wet is when I hold out to long to throw it on so I would guess it is moisture from before putting on the jacket. I’m also in western Washington so have had many days sitting in the dumping rain for hours too.

Benjblt

WKR
Hey guys. I'm not sure what to think of my new FL SEAK set. I put it to task today with heavy rain and heavy wind for 5 hours. Half was stationary and half was slow moving. I didn't really ever break a sweat. All zips were closed and hood was on most of the day. When I got back to my truck I noticed my Sawtooth jacket that I wore underneath was wet. Upon feeling the jacket, it was cold and wet on the inside. My pants were similarly wet on the inside. What is going on here? Has the rain gear failed already or is this just some sort of condensation build up? Does anyone with heavy duty rain gear ever experience this? Also, how dry should I realistically expect to stay when hunting in inclement weather? I am in the PNW and it rains all the time here. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I had this exact same problem and I was wearing my SEAK jacket. I was fine for about 4 hours in driving rain. The last area I got, maybe not soaked, but pretty close to soaked, underneath my jacket. I was moving quickly at that point but I didn't feel I was sweating. Was it just "steam heat" from my body? That is what I suspect, but I'm not sure. At first I definitely thought my jacket failed. It's probably body moisture. The SEAK jacket is supposed to be super "breathable" but even the most breathable rain jackets don't breath that well. I haven't been able to replicate the "leak" I had that day and the jacket has been fine.. so I don't know. I'm certainly going to pay attention in the future.

OP
O
I have seen a couple threads like this but have never had a problem with my seak jacket. Only time I feel wet is when I hold out to long to throw it on so I would guess it is moisture from before putting on the jacket. I’m also in western Washington so have had many days sitting in the dumping rain for hours too.

Thanks man. I know for a fact it wasn’t from before I put it on because I put it on before the rain. That being said, it sounds like it’s just condensation from what everyone is saying. I’ve just never dealt with that level of moisture under a jacket before. I guess I just didn’t feel like I was exerting myself that hard but I guess it makes sense if it’s not going to breathe.

Rick

FNG
I had the same problem with the previous generation Boundary Stormtight 2.5 layer gear. I haven't tried the newer 3.5 layer stuff.

I ended up switching to Kuiu because my hunting partner was dry and I wasn't. I have quite a bit of other FL gear but I only use the FL raingear for non-hunting activities now. In my experience FL is good for some wet weather but not Westside WA type conditions.

Benjblt

WKR
I had the same problem with the previous generation Boundary Stormtight 2.5 layer gear. I haven't tried the newer 3.5 layer stuff.

I ended up switching to Kuiu because my hunting partner was dry and I wasn't. I have quite a bit of other FL gear but I only use the FL raingear for non-hunting activities now. In my experience FL is good for some wet weather but not Westside WA type conditions.

Does it seam like you are not having the problem with Kuiu? Was the moisture you were experiencing from the First Lite from you from the rain?

colersu22

WKR
Thanks man. I know for a fact it wasn’t from before I put it on because I put it on before the rain. That being said, it sounds like it’s just condensation from what everyone is saying. I’ve just never dealt with that level of moisture under a jacket before. I guess I just didn’t feel like I was exerting myself that hard but I guess it makes sense if it’s not going to breathe.

Forgot to mention that I get hot with it on and normally have the pit zips open a bit to help cool down if I’m on the move but just sitting I’ll have the pit zips closed.

I also have a kuiu chugauch and used it the same way and never had a problem with it either.

Rick

FNG
Does it seam like you are not having the problem with Kuiu? Was the moisture you were experiencing from the First Lite from you from the rain?

I assume from the rain but I don't know how it got inside. It was an all over type wet but not the same wet you might get at the neck or cuffs. Never a problem with the Kuiu Chugach in the same conditions.

Love my other FL stuff.

OP
O
I assume from the rain but I don't know how it got inside. It was an all over type wet but not the same wet you might get at the neck or cuffs. Never a problem with the Kuiu Chugach in the same conditions.

Love my other FL stuff.

My SEAK jacket exhibited similar happenings. It was wet throughout the entire thing on the inside, not just where it made contact with the torso. It was wet the entire length of the back and front from top to bottom.

I don’t expect any “breathable” jacket to stay truly waterproof through all conditions but my boundary stormtight jacket leaked bad.

I’ve also found that it is impossible to prevent water from getting in through the head opening if you’re active at all in extended driving rains with any jacket I’ve owned.

OP
O
How long should I realistically expect to stay dry with heavy rain and driving rain? Is it over the top to expect to be able to stay out an entire day in such conditions?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I did a quick informal waterproof test with my SEAK jacket just for fun. I put one of the sleeves in a bowl of water and submerged a 9" section of it under the water. I checked it every 15 minutes for an hour. After the elapsed hour, it was still dry on the inside, however, I could tell that it probably would not last another 15 minutes before moisture permeated the interior of the jacket. I thought this was interesting. Maybe I will create a post to see what people with other jackets find.

Benjblt

WKR
How long should I realistically expect to stay dry with heavy rain and driving rain? Is it over the top to expect to be able to stay out an entire day in such conditions?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I did a quick informal waterproof test with my SEAK jacket just for fun. I put one of the sleeves in a bowl of water and submerged a 9" section of it under the water. I checked it every 15 minutes for an hour. After the elapsed hour, it was still dry on the inside, however, I could tell that it probably would not last another 15 minutes before moisture permeated the interior of the jacket. I thought this was interesting. Maybe I will create a post to see what people with other jackets find.

Good idea on the test. It would have been interesting if you would have kept going with your test.

OP
O
Good idea on the test. It would have been interesting if you would have kept going with your test.

Well I sort of did, but not in a controlled manner. I left for 3 hours while I let the others leave soak first and when I came back it was totally wet inside. I have no idea when it finally gave way but I’m pretty confident that if you wanna go deep sea diving in your SEAK jacket, maybe just kee it under 3 hours😁

Benjblt

WKR
Well I sort of did, but not in a controlled manner. I left for 3 hours while I let the others leave soak first and when I came back it was totally wet inside. I have no idea when it finally gave way but I’m pretty confident that if you wanna go deep sea diving in your SEAK jacket, maybe just kee it under 3 hours😁

I might have to try this test with my SEAK and Columbia Outdry. Also, after I had a similar experience as you I tied my SEAK around a ball and left it out in the rain all night and checked it in the morning. It was completely dry on the inside.

ndbuck09

WKR
Here's a test from the other week. I wish it wasn't so.

My wife and I went to the Boise State v Fresno State Mtn West Championship game here in Boise. It was pouring rain, pouring sleet, wet snow, for about 5 hours on us. We had on many layers for the cold with our rain gear as follows over top.

I had on my KUIU Chugach Rain Jacket and I have older version First lite Rain pants in asat Camo

My wife had on her First Lite Rain Top in the forest green and her Sitka womens clouburst Pant

When we left the stands at halftime to hit the restroom we went under the stands into the concourse where it's protected. We took off our rain jackets and my wife's kuiu teton jacket underneath was damp. My kuiu teton jacket was completely dry. We had stood next to each other the entire time, same conditions and same movements. Then once the game was over we walked to a restaurant nearby. Once inside we took off our jackets again and teton jacket was considerably more wet than before and mine was still completely dry. I then checked under my First lite pants and my thighs and knees were damp. My wife's sitka gear cloudburst pants had kept her legs completely dry as well. I really wish FL's raingear performed better because I think the company's corp ethos are the best out there but this situation was a clear side by side test.

OP
O
Here's a test from the other week. I wish it wasn't so.

My wife and I went to the Boise State v Fresno State Mtn West Championship game here in Boise. It was pouring rain, pouring sleet, wet snow, for about 5 hours on us. We had on many layers for the cold with our rain gear as follows over top.

I had on my KUIU Chugach Rain Jacket and I have older version First lite Rain pants in asat Camo

My wife had on her First Lite Rain Top in the forest green and her Sitka womens clouburst Pant

When we left the stands at halftime to hit the restroom we went under the stands into the concourse where it's protected. We took off our rain jackets and my wife's kuiu teton jacket underneath was damp. My kuiu teton jacket was completely dry. We had stood next to each other the entire time, same conditions and same movements. Then once the game was over we walked to a restaurant nearby. Once inside we took off our jackets again and teton jacket was considerably more wet than before and mine was still completely dry. I then checked under my First lite pants and my thighs and knees were damp. My wife's sitka gear cloudburst pants had kept her legs completely dry as well. I really wish FL's raingear performed better because I think the company's corp ethos are the best out there but this situation was a clear side by side test.

What models of FL gear were you guys wearing?

Also, would you be willing to put your Chugach through the water submersion test and post your results?

Last edited:
I have a new FL SEAK jacket. I have not had a chance to try it in a good rain yet, but this is interesting information. I am going to put it through some good rains this spring to test it out. I want to make sure it is going to keep me dry. I am headed to Kodiak this October and I want to make sure I have the nest rain gear I can get.

OP
O
I have a new FL SEAK jacket. I have not had a chance to try it in a good rain yet, but this is interesting information. I am going to put it through some good rains this spring to test it out. I want to make sure it is going to keep me dry. I am headed to Kodiak this October and I want to make sure I have the nest rain gear I can get.

Stand in the shower if you have a spare hour or so. I did so in order to confirm to FL customer service that the jacket and pants indeed were leaking. I spent a total of an hour in the shower and found the coat and pants leaked horrendously. They said this wasn't normal and sent me a new set at no charge. I haven't done the same test to my new stuff but honestly I'm a little worried to and possibly find out that it leaks as well. Maybe I will just hold out for the new offerings from Sitka when they come out.