I guess I’m new to clothes???

The title kind of sums up my thoughts, I feel like I just wandered out of a nudist colony and into New York fashion week.

I’ve got some base layer stuff, older UA, a set of long underwear I got at sportsman’s warehouse and some random Walmart stuff. I’ve spent most of my hunting career in surplus bdu’s cause they’re tough and cheap. I’ve been eyeballs these fancy high tech clothes for a year or 2 now but, I still have questions.

Can someone help line me out on some Ca deer season appropriate clothes. Most of my hunting is deer in Ca, so temps aren’t that drastic but, I’m hoping to need this gear out side of Ca a bit in the next year or 2. That said we are planning a trip to Alaska next year, I don’t know that I’ll be lucky enough to hunt this trip but, we will get some fishing in.

colersu22

WKR
You don’t need to have hunting company clothes and can save money there. Check out this thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/clo...ds-found-hunting-pieces.html?highlight=Costco

I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago and started off buying used gear in the classifieds slowly vs dumping a bunch of money all at once. I’m guessing you have about 9 mi the tillthe season starts so you have time to slowly collect gear and just keep an eye out in the classified section on here.

Evergreen

WKR
I 2nd what colersu22 said, watch the classifieds for used gear. Kuiu attacks/firstlite corregate/Prana Zion would probably work well with or without your base layers to cover most of your needs in the pants. Jackets Kuiu Guide and sitka timberline is was I run in the PNW from mid Oct-Mar otherwise its a midlayer with a vest. Cold sits I add my kuiu Kenai puffy. There are cheaper alternatives to all this gear but 80% of my gear came from classifieds like on here.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
I’ve been looking through the non hunting thread, I have a tent I’ll be returning to rei so I want to see how far I can get with that. Thank you evergreen that’s what I was after specific lines to look at. I bought some stuff from Cabela s a couple years ago hoping for a universal all season sweater and a pair of pants for the raid cold snaps during Bzone season, I ended up with a hoodie I really like and some very comfortable winter time lounging pants...

JNDEER

WKR
If you hunt CA then 95% of the advice you will get won't really help you. CA deer seasons don't line up with all the other western states and our hunting season is usually way warmer then most other states.

I would recommend.:
Kuiu Tiburon pants
Kuiu alpine or attacks (depends on if you body runs hot or cold)
Kuiu base layer bottoms
(i prefer Kuiu socks, but any wool sock will work) smart wool, etc.
kuiu, first lite, or sitka WOOL base layer and WOOL second layer. Any of these brands will do.
any kind of jacket to shed wind and keep in warmth will work.
if you are hunting late B zone at higher altitudes or in the north wilderness areas a puffy is nice.

I hunt A and B zone. I use the Tiburon pants 90% of the time and then alpines in the later season. Long sleeve wool shirt with a medium weight long sleeve wool shirt over that. Then either my kuiu vest or puffy depending on that days activities. I also use Kuiu chugach for the rain (great gear).

I am not a kuiu spokesman, don't get any "bro" deals and have paid full price for all my stuff.

I just buy what works.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
If you hunt CA then 95% of the advice you will get won't really help you. CA deer seasons don't line up with all the other western states and our hunting season is usually way warmer then most other states.

This right here is the biggest thing. Honestly a Californian is probably better off getting hunting clothes ideas from safari videos than most other hunting television. Thank you again for direct suggestions.

Hopefully this year we’ll actually have some weather to speak of and I’ll get to need some of this stuff.

Evergreen

WKR
Also if you're near Dixon CA you could go to the Kuiu store and try stuff on. JNDeer I would have mentioned lighter stuff but he also mentioned a trip to AK.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
I intend to visit the outlet in Dixon, I realize also that for AK, CO, and other places I’ll need different/more gear but, don’t need that yet.
My hope is that with a little luck and some guidance from this sight I’ll have a little more than I need for this years season and then the same before AK next year...

Last edited:
For the really hot A-zone season (and the B-zone season, to a certain extent), I've been really happy with First Lite Obsidian merino pants and Prana Zion pants (substantially cheaper). I also like the FL aerowool pieces, which seem to work pretty well for hot weather and layering for cold weather. I still bring a lightweight puffy and rain shell for B-zone. I often wear kuiu peleton pieces around town, but they seem like they'd be a good lightweight mid-layer for backpacking too.

ArborKat

FNG
I dont have any experience with the FL pants, but I can say my attack pants from Kuiu have held up great. I've crawled through alot of brush getting closer to hogs here in CA and aside from a few pulls in the fabric they are still looking good. I do however run gators to keep burrs/stickers out of boots so maybe that helps protect them. The FL aerowool is awesome. It has held up pretty good under a pack too. I'm slowly replacing my kuiu wool with FL. Softer and seems to have less wool funk.

JNDEER

WKR
hey Oak - in A zone you don't have a problem running the wool pants and getting them full of stickers? Even my tibs get a handful of stickers- i cannot imagine how bad a wool pair of pants would be.

hey Oak - in A zone you don't have a problem running the wool pants and getting them full of stickers? Even my tibs get a handful of stickers- i cannot imagine how bad a wool pair of pants would be.

The FL obsidian fabric is reinforced with rip-stop nylon (not pure wool), so it is much more durable than I would have thought. I guess burrs stick to the pants a bit, but I haven't really had a problem brushing them off. The Corrugate guide pants have a fabric that tends to snag and get pulls more than the merino/nylon Obsidians. The Prana Zions get pulls pretty easily too, but it does not bother me for a hunting pant. I haven't had any actual tears or gouges in any of those three pants. I'm sure there are more durable pants out there, but they are probably not as good for hot weather. I guess its a trade-off.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
So what about outer layer shirts, in hot weather is your light base your outer or do you wear a short sleeve of some kind?
Along the same lines I’m wondering about masks/hoods on a light base, for guys that have run something like Kyan Mask Hoody | TUSX
Or the sitka corelight hoody. Do you like them or is a separate mask better? Or both for layering in bad weather? I have a big warm fleece hood thing but it’s not pack practical.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anybody tried mountain warehouse? 80/20 merino/poly but price is good and the reviews seem good.

Merino Mens Long Sleeved Round Neck Top | Mountain Warehouse US