Rain Jacket submersion face off

Hey all. I recently did a very non scientific yet entertaining test on my First Lite SEAK jacket. I wanted to see how long I could keep it submerged under water without water permeating the interior. I simply filled a bowl of water and submerged a 9" section of the sleeve under the water about 1-2" and just left it there. Nothing holding it down but the weight of the water. I checked it every 15 minutes and found at an hour that no moisture had crept in. I could tell that it would probably not last much more than that though, maybe another 15 but I'm not sure since I pulled it out. I'm curious what other people who have other jackets will find. Is anyone else willing to put their Sitka, Kuiu, etc jackets through the test so we can all compare? I know there are alot of other factors that go into testing overall reliability but this one is easy and for me at least, sort of cool.

Hey all. I recently did a very non scientific yet entertaining test on my First Lite SEAK jacket. I wanted to see how long I could keep it submerged under water without water permeating the interior. I simply filled a bowl of water and submerged a 9" section of the sleeve under the water about 1-2" and just left it there. Nothing holding it down but the weight of the water. I checked it every 15 minutes and found at an hour that no moisture had crept in. I could tell that it would probably not last much more than that though, maybe another 15 but I'm not sure since I pulled it out. I'm curious what other people who have other jackets will find. Is anyone else willing to put their Sitka, Kuiu, etc jackets through the test so we can all compare? I know there are alot of other factors that go into testing overall reliability but this one is easy and for me at least, sort of cool.

Repeatability is key to comparison testing.

9" sleeve section 1-2" underwater, 1-hour.

How is it being held?

Air bubble in sleeve or the whole layed flat?

Seams?

OP
O
I just pushed it down and let the water hold it there. No air insleeve, at least as much as possible. Honestly there was probably a little in there since it was just water weight holding it there. I kept the water away from the pit zips and any avoidable seams.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, be sure to check every 10-15 minutes. I compared my Cabela's Rainy River Parka to it and it didn't even last 15 minutes. That one I believe is a 2 layer goretex jacket.

Use a large colander and push into water from inside the jacket, maybe a rock in colander to hold it down.