Expedition Weight Base Layer

tracker12

WKR
Looking to ad a pair of Expedition Weight base layer. What has worked for you?

First Lite Furnace. Crazy thick merino lined with fleece. It’s intensely warm. I can do some light hiking in the bottoms if it’s late season but I have a meltdown if I’m wearing the tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfey

FNG
I'd rather have a thin baselayer and a fleece midlayer like the Patagonia r1 or a thinner grid fleece. It's much better moisture management that way instead of a heavy wool baselayer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Patagonia Capilene Thermal weight for cold weather.

I like merino, but only during the summer/early season in a very light weight (sub 150 gram) baselayer. Once it gets cold I have found that there is no such thing as "warm and wet", at least for me. I just get chilled if my baselayer can't dry out. I prefer the quick drying Capilene when the temperature is consistently below freezing throughout the day.

But FL furnace is sold out until early summer

Holy moly you’re right. How in the world are they so bad at inventory? Six months is wild. I get that demand should drop off after hunting season but it’s also the dead of winter. The perfect time to wear a furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freebird

WKR
Ya I was prepared to order a set until I read that....guess they must be that good to be back ordered for 6 months.

ianpadron

WKR
I've had great luck with the Cabelas ECWS heavyweight.

Warm AF!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk