Fix for Sitka Downpour wicking into sleeve (design flaw?)?

raisins

FNG
Hi All,

I got a new Sitka Downpour (gore tex) jacket for a steal in fall 2018 and have been running it this fall season. The most outer layer is a fleece that provides quiet for bow hunting. I have noticed that this jacket wicks moisture into the inside of the sleeves. So, even in light to moderate rain, you end up getting wet arms. Saturday, I was wet past my elbows. I was in a tree stand with my bare hands in a muff attached around my waist, so gloves or holding my arms to catch rain are not to blame.

The problem I think is that the fleece outer layer absorbs and spreads (wicks) water. Also, the fleece layer at the cuffs wraps around into the jacket all in one continuous piece of fabric and then extends a few inches into the inside of the jacket. I think water absorbs into the fleece then makes the curve around the cuff and then up into the jacket. If you are then wearing a wicking base layer (polypro etc) that touches this inner cuff material, you have a circuit that transmits water. More traditional rain jackets have a nylon or other outer layer that does not so easily absorb water.

All Sitka had to do was somehow break this circuit (maybe make the very end of the cuff a rubber and attach the fabric to it?). I'm considering emailing them with this concern.

This jacket is too expensive and otherwise nice to give up on, so I ask the group here: How would you fix this?

Not letting my under layers touch that inner cuff will be tough, and I'll still have clammy wrists.

I could turn the cuff up, but then the jacket will be shorter in the arms and not function as well.

My thoughts are to either totally saturate the inner and outer cuff area with a water repellent spray OR apply a waterproofing boot dressing to the inner and outer cuff area and really push it into the fabric (making it greasy, oh well).

Thanks - R

PS. Ironically, I was wearing old LL Bean gore tex stowaway nylon pants on bottom with $10 fleece camo pajama bottoms over them for silence, and my lower body was X10 more comfortable than my top wearing a $300+ jacket.

Last edited:
Call Sitka. They have great CS.

You said you got it for a steal. I wonder where you got it from. That could tell us more info. If you got it for a steal, then there typically is a reason. I got a set of the old Yukon rain gear on here for $300. Yes, the whole set for $300. The outer layer no longer repelled water. It just soaked into the fabric. Washing it in a DWR mix was all it needed. I believe I used Nikwax.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
It was new and from Scheels (scheels.com), which I believe is a reputable company. I ordered it online. It still had tags and appeared brand new and never worn. They have the whole line of Sitka gear, but had this on sale for like $170 for a limited time. I just contacted Sitka via email and linked to this post.

This is no doubt a design issue. Have seen similar problems on other rain jackets.

Contact Sitka CS

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
"This jacket is too expensive and otherwise nice to give up on, so I ask the group here: How would you fix this?"

You can't fix bad design. Return it and get a rain jacket that doesn't wick water up the sleeves. Or live with wet arms.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
I contacted Sitka. Their response was "we are looking into how to resolve this issue". That was it and that was nearly 6 months ago. So, I took matters into my own hands.

I will describe it here because it is a somewhat happy ending and might help someone else stuck with this problem.

I sealed the inner sleeve from the end to about 1.25" past the internal camo cuff with Gear Aid seam sealer (went up a good ways into sleeve to account for glove cuffs). I found a method for doing this neatly I'll share if anyone asks (cardboard and masking tape job). This provided an internal, impermeable layer. I really massaged it into the fabric to block internal moisture transport. I also did up the outer cuff about 1/16" (up to where the velcro starts) so water is even less tempted to round that cuff edge into the sleeve.

However, this stuff dried too rough to the touch and I was afraid it would rub me raw.

So, whipped out the flexible, clear silicone and put one thin layer over all rough areas. This dried smooth and comfortable.

I tested the jacket and the problem is gone. Hopefully Sitka reads this and cuts me a royalty check! (hardy har har)

It is still a quiet jacket and now my wrists just won't be breathable. I'm sure at the factory they could seal it with something very neatly (better than my kitchen table job).

Last edited:
OP
R

raisins

FNG
One last update on this piece of #@$% jacket. I'm beginning to think Sitka is all name. It's construction and design is inferior to the Under Armour pieces I have.

I have babied this jacket and today I discovered that the bottom drawstring fabric capture is coming off (the part that loops around the bottom and the bottom drawstring runs through). Get this, that flap is not sewed. The fabric is folded over and then glued to make a tunnel. And the glue is now failing badly.

I'll now have to pay a seamstress to sew it. This jacket I got on sale is sure getting expensive.

One last update on this piece of #@$% jacket. I'm beginning to think Sitka is all name. It's construction and design is inferior to the Under Armour pieces I have.

I have babied this jacket and today I discovered that the bottom drawstring fabric capture is coming off (the part that loops around the bottom and the bottom drawstring runs through). Get this, that flap is not sewed. The fabric is folded over and then glued to make a tunnel. And the glue is now failing badly.

I'll now have to pay a seamstress to sew it. This jacket I got on sale is sure getting expensive.

Did you wash and dry the jacket?

OP
R

raisins

FNG
Did you wash and dry the jacket?

Washed it on gentle in cold water (by itself with everything zipped up) and then hung it up to dry. Is washing or drying a known issue with these?

I just looked at the non-camo waterproof jackets I have collected in the last decade (ll bean, moonstone, north face, and columbia) and every single one is sewed in that area of the drawstring and pretty much everywhere else on the jacket.

This is a hunting jacket and looks don't matter, so I've decided to handstitch and seal my stitch up with some sealant and a qtip.

I've had to mod this jacket before. So, I won't bother Sitka. What are they going to do, send me another jacket that I won't like?

Last edited:
Washed it on gentle in cold water (by itself with everything zipped up) and then hung it up to dry. Is washing or drying a known issue with these?

I just looked at the non-camo waterproof jackets I have collected in the last decade (ll bean, moonstone, north face, and columbia) and every single one is sewed in that area of the drawstring and pretty much everywhere else on the jacket.

This is a hunting jacket and looks don't matter, so I've decided to handstitch and seal my stitch up with some sealant and a qtip.

I've had to mod this jacket before. So, I won't bother Sitka. What are they going to do, send me another jacket that I won't like?

The reason I asked is that jackets today are heat welded at seems. They don’t use thread as it perforates the membrane and causes it to leak as well as unwanted weight. Many manufacturers of jackets do not want them put in a dryer due to the seams coming apart due to the high heat of a dryer, even on a med setting. A guy can use a clothes iron to fix any seams that have come undone. I always tumble dry air only then iron to activate the DWR as its heat activated. Bummer this jacket has failed you. I would be all over Sitka with this issue. Good luck man.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Going through this issue at the moment. Arms were soaked on a heavy rain day in rifle season this fall on more or less the first time i tested this gear. Was out for turkey this past weekend in a light rain and in two hours arms were soaked again. Also chest was wet where bino harness sat as well as shoulders where my pack was sitting. Sitka's response was that this should not be happening and to send into their warranty department for them to look at. Probably will do it more or less to see how Sitka operates as a company and if i need to start looking elsewhere for good hutting clothing. Will send updatre

OP
R

raisins

FNG
Going through this issue at the moment. Arms were soaked on a heavy rain day in rifle season this fall on more or less the first time i tested this gear. Was out for turkey this past weekend in a light rain and in two hours arms were soaked again. Also chest was wet where bino harness sat as well as shoulders where my pack was sitting. Sitka's response was that this should not be happening and to send into their warranty department for them to look at. Probably will do it more or less to see how Sitka operates as a company and if i need to start looking elsewhere for good hutting clothing. Will send updatre

Old thread, but I hope they took care of you.

I used my sealing method detailed above to also do around the hood and around the waist area because it was wicking there also. I only did a small width around the hood so it wouldn't rub my face or neck.

I still use this jacket from time to time, but it is incredibly overpriced for what you get.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread, but I hope they took care of you.

I used my sealing method detailed above to also do around the hood and around the waist area because it was wicking there also. I only did a small width around the hood so it wouldn't rub my face or neck.

I still use this jacket from time to time, but it is incredibly overpriced for what you get.
I do not use the system any more. Let me try and remember how it went.

I think i exchanged both the jacket and pants with Sitka for new pieces. Got soaked again , showed them pics with a shower test while wearing grey cotton underneath so they could easily see how much water came through.

After talking with them I think we just did an exchange for the Stratus outfit , which i do love. Super quiet and warm wind stopper. Not going to keep u totally dry when it really starts pouring (its not marketed to do so either) but i will pack actual rubberized rain gear when the forecast calls for that as I believe that is the only type of rain gear that is going to keep u really dry

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I had an issue on my downpour jacket where the bottom that holds the elastic failed. Talked to customer service and they sent me a shipping label, Repaired the bottom and seam, and resealed the jacket as well for free. I love my downpour jacket.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
I do not use the system any more. Let me try and remember how it went.

I think i exchanged both the jacket and pants with Sitka for new pieces. Got soaked again , showed them pics with a shower test while wearing grey cotton underneath so they could easily see how much water came through.

After talking with them I think we just did an exchange for the Stratus outfit , which i do love. Super quiet and warm wind stopper. Not going to keep u totally dry when it really starts pouring (its not marketed to do so either) but i will pack actual rubberized rain gear when the forecast calls for that as I believe that is the only type of rain gear that is going to keep u really dry

You might wanna check out LightHeart gear. They make a silpoly jacket and silpoly pants for the rain that are crunchy but 100% waterproof and pack down to nothing. If I tried, I could probably stuff both pieces easily into a large McDonalds drink cup.