Patagonia military softshell pants

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't, the guy I got mine from was only selling the one pair

the real ones will have the Patagonia label, but also the green military label as well (unless the Chinese are copying these too???)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
mid 60's and they were fine, wouldn't want to wear them in too much warmer though- I think there are better choices for warmer weather pants

adamm88

WKR
mid 60's and they were fine, wouldn't want to wear them in too much warmer though- I think there are better choices for warmer weather pants

Thanks for the reply, I picked up a pair cheap on ebay due to reading this thread back in late winter and looking forward to putting them to their paces this fall.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
bump- just wore these today on our elk opener; very light merino base layer underneath- mid 20's with lots of wind, they performed flawlessly

the built in suspenders are really nice AND the ability to take/leave a dump without having to remove them is a godsend :)

matthewmt

WKR
What does the "level" mean in the listing of these pants. I see some Level 5 and a level 9?
Level 5 is what these are and they are a softshell material, 4 is wind breaker, 6 is the goretex shell.
I wore my non Patagonia multicam lvl5 set from beginning to end of the day on a wet bow hunt and I was bone dry. Usually run a gaitor under or over mine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What does the "level" mean in the listing of these pants. I see some Level 5 and a level 9?

Level 5 is the softshell pants. Level 9 are jungle pants.
the PCU and ECWS clothing is designed for ignorant (on clothing) military members. Level 1 is base layer, 2 heavy weight, level 3 active insulation, 4 is a wind shirt, 5 softshell, 6 rain gear, 7 puffys.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup- Level 5- some good info here on their clothing system

IlCZ4om.jpg

Dobermann

WKR
I bought a pair of these pants a few months back, due to the coverage here ... and have to say, I was pretty underwhelmed. I can't now remember all the things I didn't like about the pants, and immediately put them in the 'maybe' section of the wardrobe, where they've stayed since.

Might pull them out soon to actually test, but from memory, they weren't very stretchy, had more Velcro than I'd like (for functionality, noise, and longevity), the side zippers seemed fairly heavy for minimal (for me) utility benefit, and the elastic at the cuffs felt like they would fail in very little time.

As with everything, we all have different features we like, or don't ... but for me, these just happened to be fizzers. Having said that, I was also underwhelmed by the Arc'teryx LEAF Atom Hoody, which others here also like ... again, to each their own! :D

boom

WKR
Hey. I have the rain pants. I was told they were really a prototype. I hated the jacket.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had mine out on Saturday for 15 hours and about 13 miles in some of the roughest country Montana has to offer- very steep, lots of undergrowth, blowdown everywhere and even occasional knee deep snow. I remain fully impressed. They aren't overly stretchy (% of lycra), but that allows them to dry quicker- the cut of the pants (relatively roomy) allows ample movement- from jumping up or down on blowdown to hurdling blowdown. The material is pretty tough considering it's weight- I snagged my pants too many times to count (fell down too many times to count as well!) and not even a nick anywhere.

The built in suspenders rock and the ability to take/leave a dump without having to strip upper layers is most welcome :)

the ample (and secure via zippers) cargo pockets (yes two) should be standard on every pant imo

22Conch

FNG
I know this is old but these pants are hard to find. Anyone know of anything similar that are easier to find and or cheaper?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not aware of anything similar, but there are a bunch of these on eBay right now- various sizes

search Patagonia level 5 pants

matthewmt

WKR
I

the ample (and secure via zippers) cargo pockets (yes two) should be standard on every pant imo

My lvl 5's only have Velcro closures on the cargo pockets. Patagucci threw in some spice on these! I need some of the 5s and 6s.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
I scored these earlier in the season and now have 5-6 long days in the field with them and am happy to report these are keepers. Patagonia has been making a variety of nice soft shell pants for many years- I still have a pair of the light Rock Guide pants and the heavier Guide pants- these are an in between weight, mid-weight I guess. Patagonia has always been providing the military with a wide variety of clothing products, including a multi-piece PCU system. These pants are designated Level 5 pants (softshell pants)

The color is "Alpha Green"- a grey/green about sage color. The material is a 4 way stretch, but has a little less stretch than either of their Guide pants- I'm guessing the military spec'd less lycra, which would help with quick drying. It has double material in the knees.

J59DpBg.jpg

wOa9nXS.jpg

the waist has elastic in it which adds to comfort, it also sports a very usable suspender setup- I don't care for belts when wearing a pack with any substantial waist belt.

f3Gte2L.jpg

the waist also has some adjustment via two velcro tabs, also has upper side zips to help vent during warmer weather- undoing the velcro and unzipping the side vents also allows "taking care of business" with out mucking with the suspenders (a real pain if you have multiple layers on!)

w0HCQzT.jpg

the bottoms are also elasticized and have generous side zips to get over boots

luW1heh.jpg

it has two way zips on the fly which is nice :)

the pants are very comfortable, shed wind nicely and the DWR is very good (wore them in off/on rain one day)

I've found these to have a wide range by simply swapping out my lower base layer, merino boxers when warm, lightweight merino bottoms when cool and heavier weight bottoms when cold

these have earned a spot in my hunting (and other shoulder season backcountry adventures) clothing setup; it's nice to know our military is getting good kit (unlike when I was in!)

What materials are they made of? Nylon, Polyester? What percentages?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
100% nylon - midweight - heavier than the lighter backpacking pants, lighter than full on mountaineering pants

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Great pants for the money if you can find them $100 or less. They're definitely lighter weight than my sitka ascent pants and my old patagonia guide pants but they block the wind well so that doesn't really matter if you layer correctly underneath. I have the "readyone" version made for patagonia and they are pretty well made. I do think the civilian version patagonia softshell pants are little higher quality and little beefier but only by a little bit. The fit is definitely a little different. They are pretty baggy for the same medium waist size at least compared to my sitkas. I think this makes up for them being less stretchy tho, which is ok with me.

They're definitely higher quality than my wild things military synthetic puffy jacket. I come from a climbing background so I'm drawn to the climbing companies' usually higher end clothing that are in hunting colors but it seems the surplus stuff can be pretty hit or miss. Mine are a light grey color which is fine for the rifle but probably a little flashy for bow hunting.