Patagonia military softshell pants

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I scored these earlier in the season and now have 5-6 long days in the field with them and am happy to report these are keepers. Patagonia has been making a variety of nice soft shell pants for many years- I still have a pair of the light Rock Guide pants and the heavier Guide pants- these are an in between weight, mid-weight I guess. Patagonia has always been providing the military with a wide variety of clothing products, including a multi-piece PCU system. These pants are designated Level 5 pants (softshell pants)

The color is "Alpha Green"- a grey/green about sage color. The material is a 4 way stretch, but has a little less stretch than either of their Guide pants- I'm guessing the military spec'd less lycra, which would help with quick drying. It has double material in the knees.

J59DpBg.jpg

wOa9nXS.jpg

the waist has elastic in it which adds to comfort, it also sports a very usable suspender setup- I don't care for belts when wearing a pack with any substantial waist belt.

f3Gte2L.jpg

the waist also has some adjustment via two velcro tabs, also has upper side zips to help vent during warmer weather- undoing the velcro and unzipping the side vents also allows "taking care of business" with out mucking with the suspenders (a real pain if you have multiple layers on!)

w0HCQzT.jpg

the bottoms are also elasticized and have generous side zips to get over boots

luW1heh.jpg

it has two way zips on the fly which is nice :)

the pants are very comfortable, shed wind nicely and the DWR is very good (wore them in off/on rain one day)

I've found these to have a wide range by simply swapping out my lower base layer, merino boxers when warm, lightweight merino bottoms when cool and heavier weight bottoms when cold

these have earned a spot in my hunting (and other shoulder season backcountry adventures) clothing setup; it's nice to know our military is getting good kit (unlike when I was in!)

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the windshirt too (it's Patagonia too), it's a keeper as well

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
got mine on ebay, the guy was asking $99- I offered $79 and he took it; to be honest I probably would have gone $99

evidently these are showing up at local army navy stores on occasion also

WKR
Just grabbed a pair off eBay, $98

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you'll find them worth every penny :)

I should mention sizing, I got the Medium and am a 32" waist, they would fit 33" no problem, 34" might be better off with Large????

I've got a pair of these as well, scored off eBay for $60 last year. They're light, stretchy and have decent pockets. Add in some long underwear and they are great for winter/snowy conditions.

Also have a set of the current military issue softshell pants, I like wearing them over coveralls for freezing cold predator hunting when I'm sitting still.

WKR
I am right between m/long and l/reg in BDUs so I figured l/long is about right. Suspenders make sizing a little more forgiving and I figure I'll have laying underneath.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the suspenders are really nice; I've always worn suspenders with my hunting pants, but most suspenders tend to dig into my waist when wearing a a backpack with any substantial waist belt- either the buttons digging in on traditional ones or clips on the newer designs. These can't dig in and they work.

agreed with suspenders you can get by with a little larger waist

Epic material used in the 'Gucci, Orc and Beyond PCU are simply...epic. I've taken accidental polar bear swims and dried out in 20 F weather. A gucci PCU suit in multicam is a unicorn on ebay these days.

oenanthe

WKR
The Patagonia stuff is good - note that the Propper made Level 5 is also pretty good if not as well sewn. I've been using the ECWCS Level 5 pants and jacket (in ACU) for years and they go on all my hunts except some of the ultralight sheep hunts. Even then they sometimes wind up in my pack.

matthewmt

WKR
I have a level 5 multicam set, like them vary much. My only gripe is all the Velcro on the top. I'll probably remove some.
Also have a lvl4 wind breaker top in multicam that has kept me dry and the wind out. It does not have a ton of Velcro and no hood so it's a bit lighter and ends up with me most of the time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say yes; they are pretty quiet as the material is slightly brushed; that's coming from a guy who hunts with a rifle:D

I bought a Medium and they fit my 32" waist easily, 33" would be good to go in Medium, not sure on 34" though- there is some slight adjustment that can be made with the Velcro ends.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
How far down in temp have you used them? I need a backup plan because for whatever reason it's taking kuiu forever to ship my chinook pants.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore them several days where the morning temps were in the teens (moving), that's with light base bottoms, warmer weather I wear them merino boxers. I'm sure with a heavier base bottom you could wear them in colder temps yet. If it's any colder I prefer to wear wool pants.

SFG

FNG
These pants are in no way standard issue for the military; only specialized units within the military gets the "Gucci" gear. And yes, these are Gucci gear.

If you can find these for cheap, i would pick them up. I wouldn't spend more for these than Kuiu, First Lite, and the likes. Personally, i like the jackets better than the pants.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
fixed the photos- thanks Photobucket (may you rot in hell)

also more time with the pants; my opinion stands- really well thought out pants that work great