Sitka Thunderhead system and Flash Pullover review, By Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Pic-5.jpg.jpg

Hey Rokslide!

My review of Sitka's new Thunderhead rain system and the Flash Pullover is live. I used these to keep me dry and warm all fall across a wide range of climates.
Hope you find the review useful!

Here is a short clip from the review; Sitka Gear Thunderhead Rain System - YouTube

Sitka Gear Thunderhead and Flash Raingear Review

Hit me with any questions you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty interesting. I find the Flash Pullover very intriguing. The UL backpacking world seems in love with the windshirt in general as a key part of a layering system.

I believe I heard Barklow talk about the Flash basically being a rain shell, but wasn't sure what to think of that until your comments. So you'd see no problem counting on the Flash as your packed insurance against surprise 30 minute storms on an otherwise good weather hunt? What amount of possible/expected rain would you consider "too much" and bump to an officially waterproof shell like the Thunderhead or the in-between (weight wise) Dewpoint?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Pretty interesting. I find the Flash Pullover very intriguing. The UL backpacking world seems in love with the windshirt in general as a key part of a layering system.

I believe I heard Barklow talk about the Flash basically being a rain shell, but wasn't sure what to think of that until your comments. So you'd see no problem counting on the Flash as your packed insurance against surprise 30 minute storms on an otherwise good weather hunt? What amount of possible/expected rain would you consider "too much" and bump to an officially waterproof shell like the Thunderhead or the in-between (weight wise) Dewpoint?

I look at the forecast before I hike in on every hunt. If it's calling for continued wet weather and no relief, then I take a full GTX rain top and bottom like the Thunderhead. If it's just calling for the daily high country afternoon showers or less, I grab a UL pack able shell.
This has been my strategy for years, the Flash and Thunderhead fit into my routine very well. If vegetation is higher than ankle height, the gaitor goes regardless.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent some time in both systems in 2017 as well. I don't think I would use the Thunderhead for backpacking, unless I was really concerned with noise. It worked great in the bear stand and is as quiet as rain gear can be.

I concur with Tony's comments on how he would use the Flash. I also used it for wind pro on a few clear windy days and it worked very well for that use.

Tony,

Have you used the Sitka Dewpoint jacket? I am looking to get an UL rain jacket for high country use and it’s between the Flash or a true GTX layer in the Dewpoint.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not Tony, but the difference between the Flash and the Dewpoint is night and day, IMHO. If serious, extended, rainfall is a possibility; the Dewpoint is the way to go. Its my favorite set of rain gear (especially for backpacking), and I've seen a lot of rain gear... For what it is worth, my buddies all got a set after hunting with me.

We (5 of us total) have beat the tar out of the Dewpoint line for the last 3-4 seasons and its been ideal for our use. We are in Alaska and its primary utilization is Aug / Sept Dall Sheep hunts.

I'm not Tony, but the difference between the Flash and the Dewpoint is night and day, IMHO. If serious, extended, rainfall is a possibility; the Dewpoint is the way to go. Its my favorite set of rain gear (especially for backpacking), and I've seen a lot of rain gear... For what it is worth, my buddies all got a set after hunting with me.

We (5 of us total) have beat the tar out of the Dewpoint line for the last 3-4 seasons and its been ideal for our use. We are in Alaska and its primary utilization is Aug / Sept Dall Sheep hunts.

Highcountry,
Now that is the response I was looking for. Boom, thanks for the honest opinion and that is a wrap, going the dewpoint route.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony,

Have you used the Sitka Dewpoint jacket? I am looking to get an UL rain jacket for high country use and it’s between the Flash or a true GTX layer in the Dewpoint.

I have not used the Dew Point jacket but it looks like you got good first hand advise from High Country. Thanks HC!

wizeguy

FNG
Does the thunderhead fabric retain water and become heavier?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Does the thunderhead fabric retain water and become heavier?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It never became saturated for me. The DWR helps keep the moisture from even getting to the GTX. At least that's what it seems like to me.