Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

Im going to pick up another pair of the deadfall gloves @ $25 it really is a steal I really like these things. Plenty of good deals- the ptarmigan without a hood is less than $150 and the new hooded version is just a bit more.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I grabbed the gloves for $25 as well. Been waiting for the Sitka mountain gloves to go on sale but I think these will be pretty much the same and $25 vs $89 is hard to argue with. Bought my dad some hardscrabble pants this morning with 25% off also so we will see how they do. Been really happy with my Ptarmigan hooded puffy so far.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked up the Hooded Sweatshirt and the Kanati Hoodie. I am pleased with the hooded sweatshirt and I think that the kanati hoodie is what I have been looking for to stay warm. It is a little brutal when you are archery hunting when it is blowing snow and cold in the northern michigan deer woods. My overall thoughts on the Hardscrabble pants is that they are not the best choice when looking to stay warm. I ended up wearing 2 pairs of LJ's and flannel pants underneath to stay warm. I did not use the Hardscrabble jacket because I felt the wind came through the jacket. I ended up wearing my ptarmigan hooded jacket instead, which did the trick keeping me warm. The only issue with that jacket is that its not very quiet. You really need to be careful with movement and the zippers seemed a little louder than the hardscrabble. Overall, I am pleased with the system, and hopefully with the couple of new items I have, I will be a little more comfortable on the stand.
I just thought that I would give my overall review on things before I pack it all away until next year.
Thanks for chiming in after your season. I really love the kanati. I found that I wore the kanati with hardscrabble vest as my outer layer at one point or another on the majority of my hunts this year. The kanati is very versatile piece for sure. I'm hoping SKRE builds a kanati zip off bottom some day in the near future.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I grabbed the gloves for $25 as well. Been waiting for the Sitka mountain gloves to go on sale but I think these will be pretty much the same and $25 vs $89 is hard to argue with. Bought my dad some hardscrabble pants this morning with 25% off also so we will see how they do. Been really happy with my Ptarmigan hooded puffy so far.
I personally think the gloves compare well against each other. Still can't believe they were $25. Let us what you think after they arrive.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Rain Gear yesterday, but I decided to let the smoke settle from my credit card!! I won't need them until next fall anyways. I do know that I need to lose some serious weight! I am getting fat because this stuff does fit pretty snug. I typically wear a 2XL with anything and the Ptarmigan Jacket I got in a 3XL, thinking that I could use a little extra room. As it turns out, that is even a bit snug for me and tells me that I need to lose some weight, which isn't a bad thing either!!

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a chance to wear the gaiters a bit more while hunting Christmas trees. There was a bunch of snow up the cut in shade. Gaiters have been holding up well I'll post up some after season pictures when we finish up for the year.
e4290ea451b9d520a62ebaa3b30bea0c.jpg
Hopefully we get a bit more snow for the up coming antlerless deer hunt this weekend.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
YouTube Follow SKRE founder Mike N and a group of friends on an Alaskan caribou adventure. Very well done video Thanks for sharing Mike

Does anyone know what type of pack those guys were using in the film? I am going to start looking at packs here in the coming months and figured I would see if anyone knew what the Skre team was wearing in the film.

Looks like a stone glacier and kifaru. Probably some others too.
Does anyone know what type of pack those guys were using in the film? I am going to start looking at packs here in the coming months and figured I would see if anyone knew what the Skre team was wearing in the film.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had one last tag for a late season Doe here in Utah. Mentor it to my daughter and had a over night trip planned. Left school a few hours early to scout and the stupid Jeep broke down half way there. Some may remember this thing just got a new motor at the end of summer. Replaced a couple injectors and it's still not running. Afraid the season for us is officially over without us ever making it out after the Doe. Such a disappointment for me.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hope everyone that have given SKRE a try this year post up their thoughts on this thread so others can get an idea of what to expect when they order.

I did get the 170g merino in. I like it but it is definitely sized small in summit pattern. I'm a medium in kuiu and first lite baselayers, but a large in the skre merino.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

way_south

FNG
I will be updating some on this thread since my whitetail season runs through February.

I’d like to first mention why I purchased SKRE clothing after considering all of the many options out there. It was the customer service before the sale that sealed the deal for me. I must have called in to talk to them a dozen times to ask various questions, talk sizing, material, etc.. I have only owned Academy or Cabela’s camo, and had never thought to purchase any higher end or technical type gear. Each time we talked, I never felt rushed, all of my questions were answered completely, and I felt good about my upcoming purchase.

Now moving on to purchasing my gear. I had planned to buy the whitetail bundle when it went on sale again because I had missed a big sale while short on funds. This came up during one of my many calls to SKRE. They told me in advance they were having some good sales for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, while a sale around this time of year isn’t surprising, the fact that they told me about it and touched on what they were going to put on sale and how it was going to be better than the bundle sale I missed was a surprise. I wound up purchasing considerably more than the whitetail bundle, more along the lines of the all-season bundle minus a few of the small items.

I was really impressed with the clothing when it arrived. I couldn’t believe how thin and light what I would be wearing was vs what I had been wearing for years. I tried on everything and of course everything fit well for the most part because I spent tons of time on the phone with SKRE making sure I was sizing correctly because I couldn’t try anything on before buying.

After trying on everything, I’ll touch on customer service again, but this time after the sale. I was accidentally shipped a 2XL in the hardscrabble jacket instead of the XL I had ordered. By the time I was done wondering why it didn’t fit as well as the rest of the stuff and actually looked at the size of the jacket, I was unable to wear for a hunt that weekend. I went online and used the return/exchange portal to setup my sizing swap and realized I wouldn’t be able to use it for my weekend trip this upcoming weekend due to shipping and processing times. I called in and talked to them and with ZERO hesitation they agreed to ship me the proper size jacket prior to receiving my return. They just took the word of a customer/stranger that I would send back their expensive jacket to complete the exchange. I emailed in a copy of my shipping label and receipt from the post office to SKRE along with thanking them for expediting my exchange, because I didn’t want them to think I might not ship it back. They replied to my email and thanked me for “all of my support” while it was them providing the great support. They did me a huge favor in making sure I would get my jacket in time for this weekend.

So far, I can’t say enough good stuff about my experience with SKRE and their customer service. I’ll get into the gear reviews as I wear it more this season. I am usually not dealing with as cold of temperature as most of you, but I am dealing with cold(to me, a southern boy) and very high humidity. I really hope the combination of merino wool and the rest of the system helps with the chill of the damp air for long sits.

Man that’s a bummer I hate car issues they always come at the most inopetune time
Had one last tag for a late season Doe here in Utah. Mentor it to my daughter and had a over night trip planned. Left school a few hours early to scout and the stupid Jeep broke down half way there. Some may remember this thing just got a new motor at the end of summer. Replaced a couple injectors and it's still not running. Afraid the season for us is officially over without us ever making it out after the Doe. Such a disappointment for me.

I will be updating some on this thread since my whitetail season runs through February.

I’d like to first mention why I purchased SKRE clothing after considering all of the many options out there. It was the customer service before the sale that sealed the deal for me. I must have called in to talk to them a dozen times to ask various questions, talk sizing, material, etc.. I have only owned Academy or Cabela’s camo, and had never thought to purchase any higher end or technical type gear. Each time we talked, I never felt rushed, all of my questions were answered completely, and I felt good about my upcoming purchase.

Now moving on to purchasing my gear. I had planned to buy the whitetail bundle when it went on sale again because I had missed a big sale while short on funds. This came up during one of my many calls to SKRE. They told me in advance they were having some good sales for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, while a sale around this time of year isn’t surprising, the fact that they told me about it and touched on what they were going to put on sale and how it was going to be better than the bundle sale I missed was a surprise. I wound up purchasing considerably more than the whitetail bundle, more along the lines of the all-season bundle minus a few of the small items.

I was really impressed with the clothing when it arrived. I couldn’t believe how thin and light what I would be wearing was vs what I had been wearing for years. I tried on everything and of course everything fit well for the most part because I spent tons of time on the phone with SKRE making sure I was sizing correctly because I couldn’t try anything on before buying.

After trying on everything, I’ll touch on customer service again, but this time after the sale. I was accidentally shipped a 2XL in the hardscrabble jacket instead of the XL I had ordered. By the time I was done wondering why it didn’t fit as well as the rest of the stuff and actually looked at the size of the jacket, I was unable to wear for a hunt that weekend. I went online and used the return/exchange portal to setup my sizing swap and realized I wouldn’t be able to use it for my weekend trip this upcoming weekend due to shipping and processing times. I called in and talked to them and with ZERO hesitation they agreed to ship me the proper size jacket prior to receiving my return. They just took the word of a customer/stranger that I would send back their expensive jacket to complete the exchange. I emailed in a copy of my shipping label and receipt from the post office to SKRE along with thanking them for expediting my exchange, because I didn’t want them to think I might not ship it back. They replied to my email and thanked me for “all of my support” while it was them providing the great support. They did me a huge favor in making sure I would get my jacket in time for this weekend.

So far, I can’t say enough good stuff about my experience with SKRE and their customer service. I’ll get into the gear reviews as I wear it more this season. I am usually not dealing with as cold of temperature as most of you, but I am dealing with cold(to me, a southern boy) and very high humidity. I really hope the combination of merino wool and the rest of the system helps with the chill of the damp air for long sits.

Great review of Skre and their service. You echo the same sentiment that we all have here about their customer service. It really is second to none for sure. I, along with everyone else look forward to hearing about your review of the their hunting gear.
Best of luck out there hunting!!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone beat the crap out of the ptarmigan yet? I’m mostly curious if it looses down through the fabric from stuffing it in a sack. Also abrasions, being realistic for what it is does it fair better, worse, on par with everything else?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Has anyone beat the crap out of the ptarmigan yet? I’m mostly curious if it looses down through the fabric from stuffing it in a sack. Also abrasions, being realistic for what it is does it fair better, worse, on par with everything else?

I wore the jacket a lot and was very impressed. Very durable, and warmer than I thought it would be. Lost a few pieces of down but no more than any other down jacket I have. I would defiantly recommend.