Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you thank you SKRE customer service and especially Mike W for doing everything in thier power to get me this puffy jacket before I left for my elk hunt in Montana. The ptarmigan hooded 850 ultra down puffy is finally in hand and first impressions are --- this is a home run for sure!
e9f86bd80710e0a778a19fef098ca5f5.jpg
58d0f6900a535f826f114b73740a650b.jpg
f5beb1a5c184d947eb0f44d4ed12a49c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’d like to know how it performs in warmth, breathability and staying dry. I still love down coats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any idea how many ounces of down it has? Skinny people like me need warmth too.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any idea how many ounces of down it has? Skinny people like me need warmth too.
Short answer is yes I have all the specs for you including fill wieght. Sorry I'm getting my honey do list knocked out before I leave in the morning for Montana. Will try and get you a write up in a few hours

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ptarmigan hooded was totally redesigned for 2018. This jacket now fits true to size yet still has an athletic fit. This jacket also has slight increase in fill wieght. Altogether this is a warmer and better fitting puffy jacket. Skre is offering the ultra hooded jacket in small to 4xl so there is a size that will fit you perfect. The ultra hooded uses the same high quality high loft 850+ water resistant down that SKRE has used since the inception of the Ptarmigan.The specs for a large are 12oz with 138 grams of down. With the redesign you'll notice vertical stitching added to the baffles this helps keep the down migration to a minimum and reduces clumping when washing.
664ba584a70a4d6e7013be0b7af71584.jpg
The inner liner is actually two separate liners- a inner down proof ticking to keep the down from bleeding into the jacket interior and a outer nylon face fabric to help protect the more fragile down proof and help keep body oils from coating the down and adding durability.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The outer shell fabric is a stout anti-tear rip stop nylon. SKRE uses it Teflon dwr treatment on the shell as an extra water repellent barrier from the elements. This feels very durable to the touch.
a5de5c617549a79fb138b3c106919484.jpg
Being nylon it does have a slight swoosh sound when fabric rubs together. Please note this jacket is brand new and not worn or washed so sound may decrease a bit with some wear.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ptarmigan hooded was totally redesigned for 2018. This jacket now fits true to size yet still has an athletic fit. This jacket also has slight increase in fill wieght. Altogether this is a warmer and better fitting puffy. Skre is offering the ultra hooded jacket in small to 4xl so there is a size that will fit you perfect. The ultra hooded uses the same high quality high loft 850+ water resistant down that SKRE has used since the inception of the Ptarmigan.The specs for a large are 12oz with 138 grams of down. With the redesign you'll notice vertical stitching added to the baffles this helps keep the down migration to a minimum and reduces clumping when washing.
664ba584a70a4d6e7013be0b7af71584.jpg
The inner liner is actually two separate liners- a inner down proof fabric to keep the down from bleeding into the jacket interior and a outer face fabric to help protect the more fragile down proof and help keep body oils from coating the down and adding durability.

Sounds like a furnace! Just shy of 5oz of down. It’s hard to find something that has over two ounces and when you do it’s either a 650 fill or $400+. The thumb loops are genius.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the previous pictures you'll notice that the hood has a turret cut providing good coverage but not limiting vision. I really love the addition of a hood. The pocket lay out is exactly the same as the original with two generous hand pockets and a chest pocket. SKRE is still committed to using the best ykk zippers and cord pull tabs for easy use with gloves. Additional features are a draw string waist and elastic cuff and thumb loops for easy layering. I also greatly appreciate the fleece cover to protect your face from a cold zipper.
596da309e55c02abeec49b29474ffc91.jpg

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My jacket is 2xl and wieghted in a bit over 18oz including stuff sack that's impressive.
8cda81127b2793968adf67c0b09a40af.jpg
Notice for 2018 SKRE has labeled all thier stuff sacks. It makes locating what you need quick and accurate.
ec153bf9a3701b65090bc4adec22e494.jpg
Love all the great qualities of down that make a lightweight super warm 2x jacket pack into such a small package that takes up very little space in a pack.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a furnace! Just shy of 5oz of down. It’s hard to find something that has over two ounces and when you do it’s either a 650 fill or $400+. The thumb loops are genius.
Check out the video it really is a sweet jacket. I hope you get a better feel for sizing and can see how well it layers together. I go over most of the features in it also.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out the video it really is a sweet jacket. I hope you get a better feel for sizing and can see how well it layers together. I go over most of the features in it also.

Oh I did, been subscribed to your channel since your first video.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just saw this sale 15% off the ptarmigan jacket this weekend. Code is ULTRA15 Hope some of you guys take advantage.
be392f606ad65fa4215413fde4667a3b.jpg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just received mine in the mail and I am looking forward to using it here in a couple of weeks traversing the bogs of Newfoundland.
Sounds like your going to be exposing this puffy to tons of moisture out there in the bog. Please be sure to report back how the puffy handles it.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got back from Montana. My partner took the red eye home last night so when he sends me his photos I'll try get a trip report done.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montana elk 2018
When the draw God's frowned on every single one of my elk applications it was time for a quick plan B luckily I knew a guy! My long time Army buddy and his family call Montana home and a single phone call later plans were made for a week long pack in elk hunt. Don't know what I looked forward to more chasing big bulls or the opportunity to share a camp with Mr. Kemp. We had plenty of old lies to retell and new stories to swap. This man kills a bunch of elk but doesn't archery hunt of course my best time to come was archery season. Let's do this! Simply amazing the stuff you can bring when a horse carries it in for you luckily we had three pack horses. Two bear proof yeti coolers filled with real food and beer. Wood burning stove along with chain saw to keep it fed. All the creature comforts of home.. My buddy even had a battery powered tooth brush while mine has half the handle cutoff to save wieght haha. This was my first opportunity to use pack stock but I could for sure really get use to all this.

Last edited: