Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This part of Montana is thick trees everywhere I knew it going in but after actually getting there it blew my mind. Knew it was going to be a tough hunt if the elk didn't talk and come to calls and I was right!

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
. Found seven or eight awesome wallows but none that had any recent use, but that didn't stop me from splashing around anyway.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plenty of rubs similar to this seemed to litter the forest everywhere giving hope to seeing giant bulls

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the country that we found the elk Unbelievible how thick these patches of jack pines are. Cannt hardly walk though it let alone release an arrow

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before the season we got a couple pictures of this guy. Definitely keeps your head on a swivel in the thick stuff
b0ee06aee9e639be66988b812cc7fa62.jpg
Found a few piles like this around too Thankfully nothing fresh. Mad respect for those that hunt grizzly country every day.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is everyday in a nutshellHead uphill call a bit bulls are shut down Have a bite to eat Take a nap till 445 and call some more bulls still very silent Get back after dark eat dinner and swap lies. Repeat

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weather was crazy hot few days, rainy a couple and down right cold at 28* a night or two Cold in the morning warming quick when the sun is finally up. Come on Skre build me a pair of zip off bottoms please. Puffy was awesome on cold days but also wore it a bunch to dry out my base layers with body heat during mid day down times.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a bull that knew the script and came in on a string. It was awesome watching him work trying to reassure himself the cows were real. He circled within 50 yards or closer for almost a complete 180 before I found a lane I could shoot in Complete pass though blood was ok but bull basically just limped off on three legs. WTH where did I hit this bull? We wait as long as possible knowing that its going to rain tonight. Blood went from spots to drops back to spots but he was easy to track with a single heavy front print. The bull beds four times in 1/2 mile and just at last light we bump him at 60 yards but its to thick for a shot. we back out and hope for the best in the morning. NOTHING grid search for hours and NOTHING. I try and focus on not let it bring down the whole trip. If you've never lost an animal its a shitty black cloud that follows you and haunts you with what ifs. I check for crows everyday half hoping he dead for closure and half hoping he fine and out still doing his thing. At lest the crows didn't get me eaten by a bear on the carcass; possibly just maybe that would of been fair turn around in the end.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw a few other bulls none that would come out in the semi open where a shot was possible. Never had a shot at a cow and the only other opportunity was this stupid spike which are the prize elk in Utah but fully protected in Montana

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eight days of full on gear testing in steep nasty thick country. All the skre gear preformed awesome with a small exception the ankle draw string on the nebo pants pulled free on one side Looks as if the stitching missed the cord except in a small spot. I just rolled it up and tucked it out of the way no biggie.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore the kaibab top everyday and I never felt it smelled but some days I came back sweaty so it was damp. It would have been nice to switch it out every other day. I wore the kaibab bottoms about half the time and they preformed as expected.
The Kanati top was impressive I wore it everyday but one. I was surprised how well it seemed to block the wind but still breathe. Those thick pines with hundreds of branches and spinney bark continually pulled at the Kanati but it resisted them all. The mernio spanex blend proved more durable than I ever thought for a wool garment.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I've mentioned before I love a vest for archery season. Every morning I started my day wearing the hardscrabble vest over the Kaibab, Kanati or both. It was the perfect combination of core warmth without any extra bulk. I usually pulled the vest sometime during the climb up the mountain nice that it took up so little room in the pack.
I wore the hardscrabble pants no matter the temperature it's amazing how well they'll adapt by adjusting the amount of venting you open.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got to wear the Nebo pants a few days. Couple times just to help keep the wet vegetation off my pants once in a good down pour and one time I had everything from my pack on trying to keep warm. As noted other than the ankle draw string these preformed great. I enjoyed being able to use the full side zips to vent when I was hiking and it wasn't raining hard. The full zips also made it quick and easy to get them on or off.
The Nebo jacket was not worn as much only when it was raining and a few times to block the wind when it was to warm for the ptarmigan.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Time to start focusing on this desert sheep tag opens in a few days. Seems like I barely unpacked from Montana and got everything washed before having to pack it up again.
5c6c84cb3a130effaecd6f093fa0a47d.jpg
Planning to use archery for a couple days than switch to muzzleloader if I can't close the distance.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You’re putting skre through some very different terrain and climates. Looking forward to your thoughts on versatility after your hunts.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys have got to check out the SKRE flash sale happening right now up to 40% off. Wow might have to order a couple more things at this great pricing. Here are couple screen shots check the site out not sure how long this sale will last.
26b6a309e1f17e5e534929e847db5249.jpg
fea82c7ef582da9391834e946b35cb76.jpg
$215 is an amazing value for the ptarmigan puffy.

Thanks for the sale update. I just ordered the new Kanati hoodie. I have been eyeballing this new offering from SKRE. I have been using First Lite base layers under my hardscrabble set. It works really well. This past week my bino harness was really rubbing my neck raw where the shirt neck opening ended. Hopefully the hoodie will provide more protection from this. My brother was wearing Kryptec brand, which has a collar on their base layers.

As a side note. The hardscrabble pants survived miles and miles of sage brush and quakies in SW Montana. No rips, tears or anything. The are definitely tough pants.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the sale update. I just ordered the new Kanati hoodie. I have been eyeballing this new offering from SKRE. I have been using First Lite base layers under my hardscrabble set. It works really well. This past week my bino harness was really rubbing my neck raw where the shirt neck opening ended. Hopefully the hoodie will provide more protection from this. My brother was wearing Kryptec brand, which has a collar on their base layers.

As a side note. The hardscrabble pants survived miles and miles of sage brush and quakies in SW Montana. No rips, tears or anything. The are definitely tough pants.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Give us your thoughts when you get it

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Swung by the SKRE warehouse on my way to Nevada and picked up a pair of gaiters. Doubtful I'll need them on this desert sheep hunt but with all the rain and forecast for possibly snow on my Utah deer hunt I needed a pair.
7e1e2056bdcff09637b9f5ed6e75721c.jpg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forgot to mention gaiters are part of the flash sale. I think the sale ends this weekend