Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

Thanks. They don't list it on the website, but I heard it mentioned in a video.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. They don't list it on the website, but I heard it mentioned in a video.

I double checked with them about this information when I visited thier show room in Hurricane Utah last week. I think it's a big deal when comparing jackets SKRE really needs to highlight this detail more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I double checked with them about this information when I visited thier show room in Hurricane Utah last week. I think it's a big deal when comparing jackets SKRE really needs to highlight this detail more.

Yep. It would've been enough for me to pay more elsewhere.

Give us your thoughts when you get it

Ok, I think I've found my favorite midweight base layer. It's a little thinner that my midweight Chama by first lite. And it should be. The Kanati is 300g while the Chama is 330g.

Anyways, the cut is perfect. It is really an improvement over the Kaibab. The sleeves were plenty long and the thumb loops were perfect. They are identical to the FL thumb loops. The torso is long enough to tuck in. I usually were an XL in tshirts and I wear an XL hardscrabble jacket. This fits right where its supposed to. Not too snug, not too loose. For reference, I wear a 44 jacket.

They definitely got the Kanati right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished up desert sheep straight to deer camp. It was 18* this morning
9d9955d9ce857b8c7ebc6f954346d4bf.jpg
Nice to be able to get the sheep out of damp cooler and hanging in a tree

Got my ptarmigan. Fits well. Stops right at my waste. Not sure if I would prefer it longer or not so it don't have experience to know.

Wash it first or just wear it in the field?

I just wear my stuff. After a few outings, usually when the pants get too dirty for my liking, I'll wash them in scent free stuff.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just received mine in the mail and I am looking forward to using it here in a couple of weeks traversing the bogs of Newfoundland.

I have to say that I am more than happy with the puffy jacket. It was just what I needed when the winds kicked up. I give it two thumbs up and love how I can pack it up into a small sack to stuff in my pack. I was however a little disappointed in the Hardscrabble line. The one day there was a little rain while we were walking and I managed to get soaked to the core. I realize that the pants and jacket are not waterproof, but I thought that they might be a little water resistant. The gloves also soaked all the way through. That was really disappointing. That means that I really can't wear these gloves anywhere when there might be moisture.
I will need to purchase the Nebo set here in the coming year to make myself waterproof when I do get into a rain shower where I will need to endure the elements to stay warm and dry.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to say that I am more than happy with the puffy jacket. It was just what I needed when the winds kicked up. I give it two thumbs up and love how I can pack it up into a small sack to stuff in my pack. I was however a little disappointed in the Hardscrabble line. The one day there was a little rain while we were walking and I managed to get soaked to the core. I realize that the pants and jacket are not waterproof, but I thought that they might be a little water resistant. The gloves also soaked all the way through. That was really disappointing. That means that I really can't wear these gloves anywhere when there might be moisture.
I will need to purchase the Nebo set here in the coming year to make myself waterproof when I do get into a rain shower where I will need to endure the elements to stay warm and dry.
Which camo pattern are your gloves? Just curious if you got new old stock or the new redesigned deadfall. I had similar situation as you last season but haven't soaked my new summit deadfalls yet this season.

If they can't shed some light moisture they are no good to me. I have some blackhawk pants I paid 15 for that resisted rain and ocean spray for nearly a full day while fishing in Alaska.

Have you had your hardscrabble set for a while or were they new this year?

I was going to get the Nebo set, but no pit zips make it a no go for me.

Perhaps they will be added for the 2019 set.

I purchased my set this past spring. It was the first time that I had worn them hunting. The guides that I were hunting with simply had a set of old H/H gear that they wore out on the ocean when fishing for lobster. They were dry as a cork, but I was soaked to the bone. I am also looking at the Nebo set, but might do a little shopping to see what else is out there.

Which camo pattern are your gloves? Just curious if you got new old stock or the new redesigned deadfall. I had similar situation as you last season but haven't soaked my new summit deadfalls yet this season.

I am assuming that they are new. I was updated a number of times that these gloves were on backorder and they would ship them to me as soon as they arrived. I have the Deadfall Gloves in the Summit Pattern.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am assuming that they are new. I was updated a number of times that these gloves were on backorder and they would ship them to me as soon as they arrived. I have the Deadfall Gloves in the Summit Pattern.
Sounds like you have the gloves with the upgrades. Isn't h/h a heavy rain gear set?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got home from my Nevada desert sheep ewe hunt that rolled straight into a Utah deer/spike elk hunt. It was a great 10 days of hunting with plenty of various weather conditions. I'll try and get a trip report done in the next few days. I also got a chance to swing by the headquaters of SKRE in southern Utah on my way to Nevada. I'll try and get all that posted up shortly as well.

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
so I have purchased just a few things from SKRE as well. Actually just a long sleeve shirt and hoodie. I would like to purchase a few more things and see how they work out. I am leaning on the fence of purchasing some Sitka stuff as well. So are we saying here that SKRE could be as good or better than SITKA one day and if so what will get them there? is it design, the actual fabric or what?

Sounds like you have the gloves with the upgrades. Isn't h/h a heavy rain gear set?

It didn't look too heavy. Basically just had a long olive green rubber jacket and bibs. He work sweatpants underneath it to stay warm. I was jealous for sure with him being able to stay dry and I was soaked! I am not sure what the upgrades on the gloves were, but being waterproof was not one of them. I would rather just spend the money on a pair of Gore-Tex gloves is these things are going to leak like they do. I am going to send them back to Skre though. I feel like they should at least test them to know what is going on.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It didn't look too heavy. Basically just had a long olive green rubber jacket and bibs. He work sweatpants underneath it to stay warm. I was jealous for sure with him being able to stay dry and I was soaked! I am not sure what the upgrades on the gloves were, but being waterproof was not one of them. I would rather just spend the money on a pair of Gore-Tex gloves is these things are going to leak like they do. I am going to send them back to Skre though. I feel like they should at least test them to know what is going on.
Helly Hanson is the gold standard rain gear for constant wet conditions and isn't really a fair comparison to any dwr treatment on the market. I have some stika goretex gloves I'll trade you what size deadfalls do you have?