Tongue recipes?

idcuda

WKR
I'm going to cook elk tongue for the first time this weekend. The plan is smoked tongue tacos. The general consensus seems to be boil for 2-3 hours, peel skin off, then cook the meat however you'd like. I'll throw it on the smoker for a few hours with a rub.

But...I'm open to any suggestions, whether it's for this one or future lengua. Anyone have any go-to recipes? If any of this is worth a damn, I'll keep all my tongues.

ozyclint

WKR
my mum loves pressed tongue.

i keep the tongues from any of my young cattle that i kill for eating. brine it like corned beef then boil it as you say, remove skin then place in a suitably sized bowl then place a saucer with a rock on top to press it. place in fridge. all the gellatin comes out and forms a jelly around the tongue.

google pressed ox tongue

Tradchef

WKR
They are amazing to say the least. Braised is great to mess with for your first time trying it. If you save some of your elk bones for a stock you can use that with some basic mire poix, thyme, whole garlic, fresh bay leaf and hiring your tongue up to a simmer. Cover it and put it in your oven around 350 until you can insert your knife easily. Take it out of the oven and let it cool in your liquid in the pot. Peel the membrane off and you can either slice it and eat cold, heat it back up in you strained braising liquid or smoke it like you were saying.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
Thanks! I did go the simple route: simmer, peel, salted overnight, then on the smoker for a few hours. It was delicious and I'll definitely be doing it again. We had the tongue and some seared heart tacos.

Poser

WKR
Simmer, not boil.

Any beef tongue recipe will work just as well for elk though. For Whitetails, I used to save them up and cook them in groups of 3-4. Brazilians are tongue aficionados, so I’d suggest starting there when searching for recipes.

boom

WKR
i braise them. then peel it.

then the sky is the limit..you can chop it up for a stew or tacos....man. so good.

desertcj

WKR
Love lengua taco's. Almost brought home some antelope tongues and then a rancher told me that the fish and game were collecting them to check for "Blue tongue". Ummmm, no thanks....lol. Left them with the carcass.

boom

WKR
Love lengua taco's. Almost brought home some antelope tongues and then a rancher told me that the fish and game were collecting them to check for "Blue tongue". Ummmm, no thanks....lol. Left them with the carcass.

i keep the deer tongue.

i had three and when i made tacos..it made three tacos. a deer tongue is pretty small.

i am jonesing to collect the elk tongue this year..

KJH

WKR
Lengua tacos are my favorite!! Most of my close friends butcher a beef cow each year and never want the tongue, soup bones, or the tail... I always get them for nothing.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
i keep the deer tongue.

i had three and when i made tacos..it made three tacos. a deer tongue is pretty small.

i am jonesing to collect the elk tongue this year..

Yeah, I don't think I'll bother on anything smaller than elk - there's just not enough there.

boom

WKR
I have yet to try these but Hank Shaw has never steered me wrong yet:
Venison Tacos de Lengua - Deer Tongue Recipe
https://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/heart-liver-recipes/braised-venison-tongue/
Sliced Vension Tongue Salad

I'll be trying at least one of them if I don't eat my tag again this year :)

because of this thread, i tried to buy a beef tongue. i was told $12.99. i said yes,,cashier said, "that will be $_____!". i cant remember the exact number, but it was $12.99 PER POUND! i almost fainted.

i went next door to a cheapo mexican grocery store and it was still very expensive.

Poser

WKR
because of this thread, i tried to buy a beef tongue. i was told $12.99. i said yes,,cashier said, "that will be $_____!". i cant remember the exact number, but it was $12.99 PER POUND! i almost fainted.

i went next door to a cheapo mexican grocery store and it was still very expensive.

Surprising. I used to get tongue from a bison farm direct store for $5 a tongue. I worked at a butcher shop for awhile and we sold pork tongue for $1.99 a pound. I’d be surprised to see it for for more than $3.99-5.99 a pound, but it’s probably considered a speciality item that doesn’t get bought very often unless you live in an area with a large population of South Americans.

boom

WKR
1CE75BF6-73D7-41F2-A605-F60E78438122.jpg

I’m ramping up cooking so I can freeze meals for base-camp.

I took inspiration from this thread and made lengua tacos tonight. Freezing some up in a baggie.

Lurjukka

Banned
i prefer to boil tongue with onions and carrots. add liquid smoke and onion husk. I add spices (a little saffron, rosemary, red pepper peas, thyme) and that's all=)

Gr8bawana

WKR
Surprising. I used to get tongue from a bison farm direct store for $5 a tongue. I worked at a butcher shop for awhile and we sold pork tongue for $1.99 a pound. I’d be surprised to see it for for more than $3.99-5.99 a pound, but it’s probably considered a speciality item that doesn’t get bought very often unless you live in an area with a large population of South Americans.

It's amazing how much grocery stores want for beef tongue. In my area they go for $8-$10 lb. I think it's because of all these darn cooking shows on tv now.
One of my favorite way to eat tongue whether beef or elk is in mole.