What new foods are you adding this year?

I use similar to what Brady Miller in GoHunt does for breakfast and snacks. I don't go stoveless because I'd rather carry the weight and keep my coffee and hot dinner. But I do like his snack choices.

The stoveless backcountry hunting food list - 2.0 | goHUNT

I may also switch from 80 proof bullet bourbon to Wild Turkey 101 you get an extra 21 proof without adding any weight.

That food list is crazy, there’s literally no meat whatsoever. Meat is a big part of my regular diet and I start feeling like crap when I eat to many bars from all the sugar. This is what I’m leaning towards for a 6 day elk hunt. I haven’t weighed everything yet, but it’s 2,800 calories at around 1.5 lb per day. I’d like to find a way to bump up my dinner calories, not sure if adding olive oil to it would be gross or is worth the mess. Thought that powdered butter might be the ticket, but it’s only 45 cal per tbsp.

Food 2,750 cal/day

Breakfast in camp:
Coffee
Pop tarts 420

AM snacks:
Clif bar 250
Jerky 85
Almonds 170

Lunch:
Summer sausage/cheese tortilla or Peanut butter honey bacon bagel 555
Goldfish 130
Dukes sausage sticks 240

PM snacks:
Clif bar 250
Salmon jerky 85
Pecans 190

Dinner in camp:
Mountain house 460
Nuun water

pop tarts for the win! :D

Haha yeah. I figured I will at least eat them first thing in the morning, and they are calorie heavy for the weight. I typically just drink coffee and then eat bacon and eggs, a breakfast taco etc about an hour and a half later. I know I’ll need fuel for the morning climb though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in lieu of pop tarts, check out Erin’s breakfast “cookies” wonder how many pop tarts I ate as a kid :D

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Adding moon cheese to my kit, really like the flavor and content in it. Just dehydrated cheese, but gives a nice crunch and taste for low weight. I want to try the F bomb but butter, but it’s a pain to get anything like that to Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk