Favorite Base Camp Meals

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
One of my hunts this year is a lower elevation hunt. Because of this I decided to go with a more mobile base camp approach. This will allow for more comforts than i'm use too. Will be hunting all day and getting back after dark so don't want to make huge meals. But something relatively simple and warm on the camp chef would be nice. Going to be a 10 day hunt so a little variety would be welcome as well i'm sure. What are your favorite camp meals???

netman

WKR
I’m making a pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. Going to break it down into separate meals so I’ll be having gumbo over rice for some evening meals.

Whisky

WKR
We haul damn near as much cooking gear as hunting gear when we base camp. Grill, griddle, turkey fryer burner with pot for boiling water, cast iron pan for same burner or tent stove. We do not go hungry.

Out of all the crap we cook you really cant get any easier or better then some good cheese burgers and cold beer after a day of hunting. We grill a variety of meats also. Some simple sides are instant mashed potatoes, 90 second rice pouches dropped into boiling water, canned veggies, baked beans, pre-baked potatoes wrapped in foil and heated up on the grill or stove.

Sausage egg mcmuffins off the griddle for breakfast is another one that is hard to beat.

Retterath

WKR
Every morning, eggs, bacon, sausage. When we get back to camp potatoes and steak or some kind of meat. All we use is a cast iron pan right on the wall tent stove. minimum cooking equipment and basic.

BKhunter

WKR
Sausage and peppers is a great option. I saute the peppers and onions before I leave and keep them in a Chinese soup container so all I need to do is heat them up on the griddle or pan once the sausages are ready.

CorbLand

WKR
Simple things that can be cooked at home then warmed up.

Tacos
Breakfast Burritos
Preformed Hamburger Patties

Always make a pot of Green Chili for dinner one night, use the extra over eggs or over breakfast burritos the next morning. Same with regular red chili.

Both freeze well so we freeze a "log" of the chili in a vac seal bag and use it when it starts to thaw. Both are pretty easy to prepare in the woods also in a Dutch Oven.

CX5Ranch

WKR
When we used to basecamp it was like going to Texas roadhouse every night. We would take turns coming in early and getting started.

Favorite....fried pork loin and taters

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Great post. I don’t do any base hunts these days. But I do head to my base camp, generator power only and off the grid. Have a gas grill and we lite a fire in a pit.

My favorite to start with is potatoes 🥔 cut up with onions in a cask iron skillet kinda home fries style. Puts a good fill in the gut. Then ofcourse gotta have protein. My favorite is hot Italian sausage being I’m Italian, we gravitate to that stuff. But a Steak 🥩 works, chicken breast, or even a wild boar stew or chunked up on kabob. I’m not fussy. But the spuds 🥔 make me right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
Every morning, eggs, bacon, sausage. When we get back to camp potatoes and steak or some kind of meat. All we use is a cast iron pan right on the wall tent stove. minimum cooking equipment and basic.
Save in a cooler and throw any of those leftovers in a tortilla the next day. Ta da, breakfast burrito.

Precooked brats, vacuum sealed and frozen, eat real good when you put the vacuum bag in boiling water for about 7 minutes at camp. i also freeze some dirty rice and vacuum seal it too. Treat it the same way. For 10 days, I'd d two of those for dinner.

I also bake chicken quarters and do the same. I often peel and dice potato's ahead of time and store them in the ice chest. If you soak them for an hour, then refill the pot they are soaking in and re-drain it two more times, to remove the starch, they do not turn brown in the cooler. I fry those up when I put the chicken quarter vacuum bags in the boiling water to thaw. I do 3 meals of these.

I always can up a half gallon of home made soup or, when I catch Boston Butts for 99 cents a pound, I buy several. I cut them off the bone into chunks, put some of the chunks in a half gallon canning jar with potato's, garlic, carrots, and onions, add a TBSP of canning salt, and can it up at 12 pounds for 90 minutes. It is AWESOME. I usually take a jar of this on 2 week hunts. This plus the soup gets me 3 more nights. I'm up to 8 dinners with this.

I will bring 2 big hunks of frozen and vacuum sealed baked spaghetti. I'm at 10 suppers there

I'll bring fresh meat to eat the firs four nights before I have to start worrying about it going bad. I always have potato's for sides with these. If you have your potato's prepared like I said above, you can cook the meat in less then 10 minutes.

I do breakfast eats by canning them. Just brings eggs. But, most times I don't eat this much because I rarely come back to cam during the day. And, I'm not eating that stuff to early. But, if I'm in camp, I'm going to eat canned sausage or bacon, may be tenderloin of I want fresh meat, eggs, and a coupe big glasses of whole milk. That's living pretty good right there. :^)

This is a basis of what I eat when hunting out of a base camp and, how I do it. You can apply your tastes to the methods without every having to worry about uncooked food spoiling and making you sick. I've seen that happen and it ruins a trip. Good luck and God Bless

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Precooked brats, vacuum sealed and frozen, eat real good when you put the vacuum bag in boiling water for about 7 minutes at camp. i also freeze some dirty rice and vacuum seal it too. Treat it the same way. For 10 days, I'd d two of those for dinner.

I also bake chicken quarters and do the same. I often peel and dice potato's ahead of time and store them in the ice chest. If you soak them for an hour, then refill the pot they are soaking in and re-drain it two more times, to remove the starch, they do not turn brown in the cooler. I fry those up when I put the chicken quarter vacuum bags in the boiling water to thaw. I do 3 meals of these.

I always can up a half gallon of home made soup or, when I catch Boston Butts for 99 cents a pound, I buy several. I cut them off the bone into chunks, put some of the chunks in a half gallon canning jar with potato's, garlic, carrots, and onions, add a TBSP of canning salt, and can it up at 12 pounds for 90 minutes. It is AWESOME. I usually take a jar of this on 2 week hunts. This plus the soup gets me 3 more nights. I'm up to 8 dinners with this.

I will bring 2 big hunks of frozen and vacuum sealed baked spaghetti. I'm at 10 suppers there

I'll bring fresh meat to eat the firs four nights before I have to start worrying about it going bad. I always have potato's for sides with these. If you have your potato's prepared like I said above, you can cook the meat in less then 10 minutes.

I do breakfast eats by canning them. Just brings eggs. But, most times I don't eat this much because I rarely come back to cam during the day. And, I'm not eating that stuff to early. But, if I'm in camp, I'm going to eat canned sausage or bacon, may be tenderloin of I want fresh meat, eggs, and a coupe big glasses of whole milk. That's living pretty good right there. :^)

This is a basis of what I eat when hunting out of a base camp and, how I do it. You can apply your tastes to the methods without every having to worry about uncooked food spoiling and making you sick. I've seen that happen and it ruins a trip. Good luck and God Bless

Wow man ! You got it dialed in and guys like you MAKE for a successful camp regardless of kills.

Thanks man. The tater thing and the vacuum seal , first I ever heard of !

Wow man ! You got it dialed in and guys like you MAKE for a successful camp regardless of kills.

Thanks man. The tater thing and the vacuum seal , first I ever heard of !

We do it right man. And, junk food and freeze dried meals lose their appeal and effectiveness pretty quick in cold weather with a lot of miles. While we have had the occasional year it was warm, most times it is in the single digits at night and the high of mid 30's is normal. So, food going bad isn't as big an issue most years as just being to tired to cook big meals. We have had problems before with spoiling food due to temps but, it is more common to have to keep uncooked foods in coolers in order to keep it from freezing solid. There are some real cooks in our camp too if someone gets something and is in camp early. We always tell everyone we are going to do several things right if nothing else. "We are going to eat good, kill stuff, and enjoy the camaraderie." I love our Mid November deer hunts and the group of guys that do it.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
I've always smoked a pork shoulder a week prior to the hunt. Shred it and turn it into pulled pork, vacuum seal it in a few different pouches, then into the freezer. Dinners you can use that pulled pork in a decent Japanese ramen or some sort of vegetable potato soup/stew (great meal when it's cold out). Lunches you can always use the pork with a bit of mustard or bbq sauce for sandwiches, breakfasts with some green chile it goes great with eggs.