Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe

treillw

WKR
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for elk breakfast sausage?

Thanks!

Yes!!! Try Hi-Country mixes out of Lincoln Montana. Amazingly good sausage mixes. I love them. There is also Hi-Mountain that's located in Wyoming that has some good mixes. I've used them some but I just stick with the Hi-Country as they are that good! I like to use cheap fatty pork shoulder roasts and such as my fat mixture with elk, deer, or antelope. If I happen to have taken one or three of these listed I have no problems mixing my meat for grinding together. It tastes fantastic!

Hi-Country Fresh Ground Sausage Seasoning | Breakfast Sausage Patties & Links | Italian, German, Country The Country Blend, German, and Italian all make great breakfast type sausage that goes great with eggs and hashbrowns for example. They also work in other dishes too like pizza or spaghetti. I don't use casings and prefer to package them bulk in about 1 pound packages like beef burger. Seems to work better in a variety of dishes that way. Just personal preference.

Hi-Country Snack Stick Sausage Seasonings | 3 Great Flavors to Choose From | Best Snacking Sticks You Can Make!

The Jerky mixes are outstanding also! I like making whole muscle jerky and don't grind mine. Both ways are excellent. I used to just use a dehydrator to make my jerky but I recently bought a 40" electric smoker from Cabela's and love that thing! I made some jerky in it and smoked it and it tasted amazing as well. I won't give up my dehydrator because it does a great job but this just adds something different and tastes just as good.

Hi-Country Jerky Seasoning & Cure | Use with Domestic or Wild Game Meat | Make Your Own Jerky at Home!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I have always used the store bought mixes in the past and have used a few of the high country mixes - I agree they are very good.

For some reason I just want to try making my own mix. It's neat to know exactly what is in it and be able to adjust it to suit your taste preferences.

Trial153

WKR
Sage, crushed red, white and black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder ...and a pinch of nutmeg.

I have always used the store bought mixes in the past and have used a few of the high country mixes - I agree they are very good.

For some reason I just want to try making my own mix. It's neat to know exactly what is in it and be able to adjust it to suit your taste preferences.

True on that. I do vary the recipe a bit sometimes for example if I want a bit more spice in my jerky or sausage I don't use quite as much meat as is called for. Say the package makes 25 pounds. I will use 20 pounds of my mixed and ground meat with the same package size of seasoning. If I want it a little lighter in flavor I add meat, say use 30 pounds instead.

ChrisS

WKR
Get the book Charcuterie from Michael Ruhlman. It gives basic recipes with ratios that you can adjust as needed depending on how much meat you're making.

Even if you're using pre-made spice mixes, always fry up a little to taste before packaging the rest. They may be too salty or not enough for your liking.

For premade, we've had good luck with Zach's Spices out of the Republic of Texas.

Whisky

WKR
This is a useful read for any sausage maker. And it will help you with quantities of each ingredient you'd like to add to a batch.

Sausage Recipe

I love the original sage breakfast flavor sausage however it's one flavor I've never personally made my self, so I don't have an exact recipe. I would start with salt, pepper, cure #1, garlic and sage. Then tweak from there with whatever end result you're trying to achieve.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Get the book Charcuterie from Michael Ruhlman. It gives basic recipes with ratios that you can adjust as needed depending on how much meat you're making.

Even if you're using pre-made spice mixes, always fry up a little to taste before packaging the rest. They may be too salty or not enough for your liking.

For premade, we've had good luck with Zach's Spices out of the Republic of Texas.

I picked up the Charcuterie book last year and am going to try out their Spicy Italian recipe. For some reason the Breakfast Sausage recipe in the book doesn't excite me too much - it says breakfast sausage with sage and ginger I believe. Maybe I just don't know a whole lot about what goes into breakfast sausage, but that doesn't sound like a good combination to me. I guess regardless I should give it a try in a small batch at least - it could be amazing.

tried a new recipe that turned out great for patties..going to make some breakfast sandwiches with eggs from the backyard tomorrow.
recipe was.
2.5 lbs elk
.5 ish lbs of pork fat
640 grams of cut up bacon ends
30 grams of kosher salt
4 cloves of garlic minced
4 tbs of pure maple syrup
2 tsp of red pepper flakes
4 tsp ground sage
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp majoram

cube up elk, fat, and bacon.
mix in all spices/garlic/syrup and let sit for around 5-15 hours in the fridge.
grind and form into patties, or if you want to stuff into links mix in a kitchen aid on slow for a few minutes until tacky.
i just formed into patties that would work for breakfast sandwiches.
partially freeze patties before vac packing them to help them keep shape
did a few testers and they were great,
aa58a959635bbe74b1bef66d05d3fb5e.jpg
5421d6967b9671dc24555e618f37a02a.jpg

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
tried a new recipe that turned out great for patties..going to make some breakfast sandwiches with eggs from the backyard tomorrow.

I think I might have to give this a try. Looks really good. I made the recipe from the Charcuterie book and I'm not too pleased with it. It has a really weird texture on the inside - almost like the meat isn't cooked. I don't know, maybe it's something that I messed up. I put in 15% pork fat. Had the coarse ground meat frozen for 9 months, pulled it out, thawed it, mixed in the spices and fat, let it sit for 24 hours, ground it, and cooked.

I made some jerky too that also has kind of a weird texture. I don't know if I'm over mixing the stuff or what. Need to read more of that book.