Just ate my first Mountain House meal....

For the 8-9 min after you add water, especially for breakfasts on cold mornings, make sure the seal is tight and put it down in your sleeping bag.

ryanbauman23

Lil-Rokslider
Also look at the PackIt Gourmet meals. Tried two of them on my last trip and they were very good. Don't think I will be eating Mountain House ever again.

Poser

WKR
Thanks, I'll have to give them a try. I also like the idea of powdered butter...stealing that idea for sure!

The Sierra Chicken Pasta is also good.

Also, Next Mile Meal’s Buffalo Ranch Chicken is excellent.

heathers Choice dark chocolate chili.

Like the poster above, I’ll never eat another MH meal. The sweet and spicey pork is pretty good, but the macros are shit. That’s the real problem with MH -the meals are made for the casual backpacker. When you are going as hard as Backcountry hunting dictates, you need a considerably higher intake of fat and protein.

I'd say try the beef stroganoff mountain house meal. Hands down my favorite and a lot of peoples also. The chili mac and the chicken/rice are both really good also. If you end up getting more I'd recommend going to Costco they sell a 13 meal pack for $57 (in Montana) which is a pretty good deal since the main meal ones are around $8-9 and it is basically a best of kit, includes 3 each of the 3 aforementioned and 2 each of biscuits and gravy and breakfast skillet (the biscuits and gravy packs are extremely good to me). I ate MREs and Mountain House in the military and I don't even need to think about which I'd rather eat but then again the peanut butter and cheese spread were pretty good lol.

Just make sure you aren't sharing a tent if you go with the Chili Mac...

I got some little Sriracha packets. They work Great as a flavor add. Lasagna, beef stroganoff, and breakfast skillet are pretty good.

Phaseolus

WKR
Beef stroganof is my favorite MH meal. I add some shredded beef jerky to it to make it mo better. I also like the chicken and rice.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
"Just ate my first Mountain House meal...."

I'm sorry..my condolences:)

The lasagna with extra cheese packs from Pizza Hut and Olive Oil is tasty.

I'm not super excited about it either! What's worse is that I bought a dehydrator so I could bring my own meals but screwed around and haven't used it yet. Next year for sure. Also, I'll swing by pizza hut and snag some cheese packets...good idea.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Stroganoff was so bad I couldn't get the first bite down. Lasagna is my favorite. Chicken & Mashed Potatoes and Sweet & Sour Pork are also pretty decent. But my appetite dwindles something fierce when I'm elk hunting so I always lose a lot of weight. Lost 9lbs in 6 days this past week. Will probably be the same this next week. Oh well, I can survive a week or two without max calories.

matthewmt

WKR
How are you guys carrying the olive oil in?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
Maybe I'm just old school, and my experience is with other pre-pack meals (MREs), but I'm surprised no one has mentioned black pepper -- makes everything taste better, IMHO.