Next Mile Meals...Anyone else try them out yet?

bsnedeker

WKR
I tried 3 different meals from them last week on my hunt. I had tried the Chicken and Broccoli before and I thought it was pretty dang good, and the nutritional facts on it were great! I went ahead and ordered 3 more meals: Chicken and Broccoli, Meatball Marinara, and beef tacos. They were AMAZING! The meatball was my absolute favorite...delicious!

One really nice thing about them is that they take VERY little water compared to the MH meals and Ramen Bombs I took with me as well and have used extensively in the past.

Oh, and the REALLY nice thing about them is they were actually shipping product this year! I am a fan of this company if you can't tell!

Yes, I used them this year and liked them too. X2 on the amount of rehydration water needed.

Holy Sodium Batman....1550 mg in a serving of the Taco. I like the concept but do they need that much salt? Its the second most abundant ingredient.

TJ

WKR
I used them exclusively this year. Love the taco. I think they are having a sale right now as well.

Poser

WKR
I eat two Buffalo Ranch Chicken wing meals while bikepacking a leg of the COlorado Trail a few weeks ago. They were fantastic. Crystal hot sauce was a nice touch. I added a little powdered butter for more fat and some 5 minute rice to the meal. I have a couple of more to try on an upcoming elk hunt, but these meals are a welcomed addition to the Backcountry dietary line up.

286d1aa6b10f368d2bcc1ba4863f78a1.jpg

I really want to try these - but damn - every one except for the chicken curry salad is well over 1000mg of sodium. I want to say Mtn House are usually ~900. some less/some more maybe.

Texarican

FNG
I used them on my CO elk trip 2 weeks ago. Meatball Marina and Buffalo Chicken were my favorites. Would not buy the deli roast beef again. Had the sampler so all the recipes. Overall I was really pleased. They are very filling. I would not worry about the sodium if you are on keto and out hiking. Heck, I was adding a mix of pink himilayan and potassium to my water bladder to make certain I stayed well hydrated with no muscle cramps. Worked really well too.

Poser

WKR
I didn’t notice the food being overly salty. Besides, most Mtn House meals are bland AF and have almost no fat, so not a good comparison.

TJ

WKR
Most of the Mountain House meals that I've looked at are probably 700 to 900 mg sodium per serving. Most of these packs have 2 to 2 1/2 serving each, so the sodium levels are still pretty high. Calorie wise I think that Next Mile has them beat as well.

krohboy

WKR
Ran them on my elk hunt a couple weeks ago, I will be switching over to them and Peak Refuel for all my future meals.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I suffer from high blood pressure, that I am actually able to control with diet and exercise. But I would not be able to eat meals with that much sodium, my BP would go through the roof. I dehydrated my own meals this year for the first time, and I was so pleased with the results, I couldnt see doing anything differently unless I was just in a bind time-wise.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
The chicken one looks like half the callories, fat, and probably salt are derived from powdered dairy products. Not sure why that meal would be the same price as the others, chicken and powdered milk are relatively inexpensive.

So, I did the math. With everyone talking about sodium and price and such, I don’t think we’re doing the calculation based on SERVING size. Who actually splits their Mountain House meals between two people? Not me. Next Mile Meals are 1 bag = 1 serving. I think MH obscures their actual nutrition info this way. I took one of my old favorite MH meals (Chili Mac With Beef) and compared it against one of NMM highest sodium meals (Meatball Marinara) which may not be fair (average meal vs highest meal) but whatever. Here’s what it works out to:

MH (tiny people “serving” = 54g)

Calories 230
Fat 6
Sodium 780
Net Carb 26
Protein 12

MH (actual person serving/bag =140g)

Calories 694
Fat 18
Sodium 2354
Net Carb 78
Protein 36

NMM (1 bag = 102g)

Calories 540
Fat 32
Sodium 1590
Net Carb 8
Protein 45

So you get more protein, nearly 2x more fat, and LESS sodium per serving (if you eat the whole bag like I do). If you measure it by the gram, then NMM has 15.5 mg sodium/g vs MH 14.4 mg/g… that’s not that much different. I’ve had almost all of NMM’s varieties and they do NOT taste salty… I’m betting it’s bc of preserving process required of the beef and chicken (salt removes water, right?). So more protein = more salt? Well, whatever the reason, I’m making the swap.