Smoker Recommendations

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I m looking for a new smoker. I want to go with something decent under $500.

Any suggestions would be awesome thanks!

bsnedeker

WKR
We live in the golden age of smokers my friend! You have SO many choices and you can hardly go wrong with any of them.

Personally, I have 3 "smokers". The first is my Green Egg. I use this for quickly adding smoke to something that I don't need to control the temp too much on.

The second is my Bradley Smoker with an external PID controller. This is my primary smoker and I can do anything in this from hot smoking to cold smoking with incredibly good temperature control. Only minor issue with this one is that you don't get a smoke ring on anything with it because it does not burn the wood with fire...just heats it until it smokes. Still get the same flavor, but no ring.

The third smoker is still in production...I bought an old metal refrigerator and I'm in the process of gutting it and turning it into a smoker. I'll use this for doing things like sausage, hams, and turkeys.

I can also highly recommend the Traeger pellet smokers. I've used them a handful of times and they are incredibly easy to use, and they use fire to burn so you can get a good smoke ring.

Murdy

WKR
I do a lot of smoking on my gas grill with a smoker box. Recently picked up a Masterbuilt smoker cheap, but haven't used it enough to form an opinion. Similar to a Bradley, I think, in performance. I've been doing some research, so the rest isn't from personal experience. A lot of it depends on what you want and how much you want to be involved in the smoking process. Some require substantial monitoring; other you can pretty much ignore until done. I'm intrigued by barrel smokers, which should run you around $300 plus or minus. Check out either the Pit Barrel Cooker or the Big Poppa (Big Poppa makes kits, and you can save a little $$). The other one on my list is the Weber Smoke Mountain.
Here are some websites that I found useful:

How To Buy A Smoker

Buying a Smoker: What's Your Type? - Barbecuebible.com

How to Buy the Right Food Smoker for Your Needs

xcutter

WKR
I have a propane smoker which works great. I purchased a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. Needless to say I haven't used the propane smoker since. LOL.

I would give pellet grills a look. After having one I will never go back. They are awesome.

SWOHTR

WKR
Don’t forget to Check craigslist. I got a 1 year old Kamado Joe for $500, retails new at $1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget to Check craigslist. I got a 1 year old Kamado Joe for $500, retails new at $1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a smokin tex model 1400 stainless steel smoker , I've had it maybe 8 years have never had a problem with it , great smoker

Mosby

WKR
Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker. Under $300 and frequently used by BBQ comp teams. Hard to beat for the price.