Cabela’s carnivore grinder

Squirrels

WKR
Grinders suck for stuffing. Yes it can be done but such a pain in my opinion I rather use my jerky cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I've got one. It's great for grinding, but it doesn't even stuff ground meat into the 1lb plastic bags well. I'll be buying a stuffer.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I use the 3/4 hp for sausage stuffing and ground meat stuffing. I also bought the cabelas 11 lb sausage stuffer. I haven't taken the sausage stuffer out in two years after using it twice. I much prefer the grinder for stuffing. It is easier to run as a single person when compared to a stuffer, and takes much less time. If you have a buddy or some form of help a stuffer would work, but for work alone I much prefer the grinder.

Skyler

Squirrels

WKR
I use the 3/4 hp for sausage stuffing and ground meat stuffing. I also bought the cabelas 11 lb sausage stuffer. I haven't taken the sausage stuffer out in two years after using it twice. I much prefer the grinder for stuffing. It is easier to run as a single person when compared to a stuffer, and takes much less time. If you have a buddy or some form of help a stuffer would work, but for work alone I much prefer the grinder.

Skyler

Interesting, care to elaborate why its more difficult than the grinder? Do you have a foot controller for your grinder? Not trying to be a smarta$$, seriously curious as I've been debating picking up a stuffer.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, care to elaborate why its more difficult than the grinder? Do you have a foot controller for your grinder? Not trying to be a smarta$$, seriously curious as I've been debating picking up a stuffer.
The crank handle made it a real pain. I would hold the stuffer in one hand, crank with the other. It made it difficult to adjust the casing in any manner. If you have a electronic stuffer, or mounted it to something very heavy it may work out. Also, it was a pain to crank through small breakfast sausage sized tube. Through a brat tube it was much easier, but still required a two handed approach(one on crank, one on stuffer body).

I just used the button, no foot pedal. I usually get it set up start it for a second to get the meat into the tube (get air out) tie off a casing and start stuffing. Occasionally would stop to put more meat in. I will get a foot pedal soon as it would be handy for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
Those c-clamps that come with stuffers have a purpose....
Clamp your stuffer to a table top or heavy piece of wood. One hand on handle other hand on casing as it slides off the tube. Easy peasy and blows stuffing with a grinder out of the water in time saved and consistency.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Clamp your stuffer to a table top or heavy piece of wood. One hand on handle other hand on casing as it slides off the tube. Easy peasy and blows stuffing with a grinder out of the water in time saved and consistency.
Must have missed them in the box. I'll give it another try next week with them. Thanks for the input.

92xj

WKR
I run a carnivore 1hp. I process 1 elk, 2 deer and 80pounds of waterfowl every season. The grinder grinds as fast as I can feed it. I then run an 11 pound stuffer for all my stuffed meat. I will be upgraded soon to a larger size with a foot pedal because my batches are getting bigger and bigger. Now stuffing 75 batches at once....

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
What I do as well. Most of my processing is done alone.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

the issue with using a grinder as a stuffer:
My experience is that the meat has to be the perfect consistency or the auger just spins in the meat and doesn't push it into the tube. You then get a bunch of warm meat in the grinder that doesn't want to go into the casing. There's also air pockets also as you try to stomp the mixture down the vertical feed tube into the auger.
The stuffer is a totally positive, one-way system. Insert ball of meat into cylinder shaped in a way to minimize air pockets in the stuffer as it is compressed. Piston goes down, sausage comes out. I have a 5 lb stuffer and just crank with one hand and guide the meat into the casings with the other. I find the handle is way too long and choke way up on it or the leverage causes me to knock over the stuffer (I don't attach it to the counter in any way). I'd prefer a 4 or 5 inch diameter hand wheel instead. Might have to make one of those...

92xj

WKR
Must have missed them in the box. I'll give it another try next week with them. Thanks for the input.

Every stuffer I have bought has them with them, but yours could easily have not had any. If not, go buy two clamps that will fit over the edge of whatever table top you're doing your processing on. Or if it is a permanent place of stuffing, there should be a few holes in the base of the stuffer to bolt it down. However you do it, just mount it down solid to whatever you're working on. One hand on handle other hand on the end of the tube on the casing, crank handle and use the casing hand to adjust pressure on the casing/meat as it shoots out. Stop handle hand when long tube of meat is getting ready to fall on the floor off the end of the table. It's tricky and funny but you'll get the hang of it and never use a grinder again for stuffing.

I think we found the only guy on the planet who likes using the grinder to stuff. Which If it works for him. That great.

My advice to you..get the stuffer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Also with the stuffer. When your casing is full, back the handle up 1/2 turn. Releases pressure, otherwise meat will continue to come out of the stuffing tube.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk