Elk Ribs

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
What are your favorite recipes for elk ribs? I’ve never cooked them before and have a few packages in the freezer. Do you braise them? Slow cooker? Grill? Thanks!

Bl704

WKR
The way we cooked them in the restaurant...(works well on game meats though)

Put a baking rack in the bottom of roasting pan (to keep the ribs out of the liquid)...add liquid smoke (about 1t -1 T for a couple racks) add a couple cups of HOT water.

Peel any membrane from the inside of ribs & remove any extraneous fat.

(Optional step) season ribs with S&P, seasoning salt or your favorite rub.

Add to roasting pan. Try not to layer the ribs, but you can stack them cross hatched.

Cover pan tightly with foil (fold seams if you need to use multiple sheets of foil). Cook at 350 for at least 1hr...usually about 90 minutes. You're steaming the ribs. Check them for tender...if not tender, recover and cook for another 15 minutes. Repeat till done...duration varies with altitude, oven and water temp. This step is critical especially for venison ribs.

When cooked, cover with sauce, if that's the way you like your ribs...at this point the ribs can go into the fridge for a couple days (if made in advance) or right onto a grill. You're looking for a bit of char (carmelizing the sugar in the sauce) on the ribs for color, taste and presentation.

Serve.

Watch the last episode of the new season of Meateater. Steve does deer ribs. I think he braised them, put them in the crockpot and then finished on the grill.

Felix40

WKR
Peel the silver skin off the inside.
Put them in a cooking tray and pour one beer over them.
Add a sliced jalapeno, onion, and some bbq sauce.
Cover with foil and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours.
Take them out of the foil and finish them on a super hot grill to melt off some fat and crisp them up. Baste with bbq sauce.

I did some beef short ribs Sunday night like this:

Beef stock, a shot of balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper, one onion, and some garlic in the slow-cooker on low for nine hours.

Pulled them out and put them in a large cast iron skillet. The ribs were brushed with salt, pepper, and a mixture of maple syrup/apple whiskey.

This went under the broiler on low, two notches below the top in my oven. I turned them once to get a bit of brown char on all sides.

They turned out well but I probably should have set my slow-cooker to medium.