Cooking moose meat suggestions

717jeeper

FNG
I should be receiving my moose meat here soon from the shipper. I am interested in any suggestions of cooking moose meat or recipes that you like. Please share any insight you may have. thanks

In my experience with moose it is the best eating in meat in the deer family. Even the Fat was good while still warm.

For steaks you should never go past medium rare in my opinion. Smother it in sauteed mushrooms and dig in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
I make the same stuff I do with my elk and deer. I didn’t weigh how much ground meat I got but it was a lot. We’ve been eating a lot of moose tacos, spaghetti, chili stroganoff etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can and should cook/use moose meat the same way you would any quality red meat. No special recipes unique to moose meat for us. Steaks on the grill or seared in cast iron. Trim meat used to make stew and other savory dishes. Brisket slow-smoked and sliced, but can be slow-roasted in the oven. Roasts for pan roasting or just about anything. Burger for all the same things you'd use a high-quality low-fat burger from the store. I find moose meat to definitely have nice mildness with a bit of sweetness I don't get from beef. In fact, beef is a much more flavorful meat versus the deer species. The one thing moose and all deer lack is fat-marbling through the muscle. The result is typically a drier taste on the palate, especially if overcooked or not cooked in a manner which maintains moisture.

Its usually very good meat (actually all that I've experienced has been). As Kevin stated above - I like its texture - as it has a mouth feel closer to beef than other deer. Basically I treat it as I would a piece of grass fed (i.e. lean) beef - can use it for about anything.

Moose has been our staple for over 25 years now, and while it’s not our favorite, it is very good, given that it’s cooked properly. I’ll echo pretty much everything that’s already been said, with a very strong emphasis on not over cooking it because it will dry out very quickly. From my understanding moose is the leanest red meat there is, period. By way of comparison, it has approximately half the fat content of a whitetail. We always end up grinding a lot of our moose meat because there are so many dishes that can be made with burger, but we also do quite a few roasts. Roasts are generally cooked in the crook pot or, more recently, in the Insta pot. There are plenty of good recipes out there online, just remember not to overcook it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roasts are generally cooked in the crook pot or, more recently, in the Insta pot. There are plenty of good recipes out there online, just remember not to overcook it.

We LOVE our instant pot, hardly even use the slow cooker these days. Likely my favorite way to do moose outside of the backstraps cooked as steak. Also, it's not overly healthy but I'll slice it to 1/4" thickness - bread it in flour and spices - pan fry in olive oil or butter just until it gets golden brown like a chicken fried steak.

PA Hunter

WKR
Moose is my favorite then elk then nothing else. I like slow cooking the roast in a crockpot with ranch dressing powder little water pepperoni peppers and a pack of gravey mix. Throw in some garlic,onions and mushrooms.

PA Hunter

WKR
Ok here is my favorite moose bbq no measuring though. Sauté some onions and garlic. Brown few pounds of moose burger.

In a crockpot mix good ketchup some mustard few splashes of werstershire sauce couple drops liquid smoke and brown sugar to taste. Mix sauce good then add burger simmer on low all day. Add more ketchup brown sugar to taste as needed.

This is always a hit everywhere I take it.

valtteri

FNG
Here is a traditional Scandinavian recipe that I really like: http://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-food-recipes-main-courses/372-reindeer-frozen

Essentially you put a frozen roast into the oven in low heat, cook it to 150F, then put it into a marinade and let cool overnight in a fridge.

It’s the easiest thing to make and you can’t screw it up. It’s also just delicious.

If you haven’t had it, I highly recommend you try it!

neverquit

WKR
Just about any cut in an instapot comes out great. We make a lot of ground into tacos. Just brown it with a can of green Chile’s and serve.

The kids love moose tacos, we eat moose pizza with moose pepperoni flavored salami once a week as well.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
If it's recipes you're searching for, I would encourage you to approach the task cut-by-cut. Generally speaking red meat from one antlered critter or another can be treated the same as beef, although venison is better than beef. The good news is Moose is the best of venison, it's mellow and loose in contrast to deer and elk, but before you get cooking, you'll be best served if you make a few critical considerations:
  1. Muscles that get used more & have more connective tissue will be tougher, but more flavorful. These are better off cooked slower and lower in braises, crock-pots or roasts.
  2. Tender muscles like backstrap, tenderloin lack fat and will dry out when you take them past medium. Ideal temps are easier to achieve when you leave tender cuts in larger chunks rather than steaking them out or worse yet butterflying.
I'm a big fan of butchering and packaging whole muscles or "sub-primals" mostly because it's easy to break down later. You can't un-cut meat, and again it is much easier to get a perfect medium-rare on a backstrap for a couple people if you sear off a 6-8"-long loin as opposed to 1" steaks.

All that said, moose is beautifully suited for classic preparations for you to impress family and friends, and since it's a moose, you'll have plenty to experiment with. Staples in our house are Moose Wellington, Stew with carrots and wild mushrooms, big roasts with veggies and tartare. Also, every hunter should read Hank Shaw's book "Buck Buck Moose" most of the recipes are on his website and they're all great.