Knife sharpening

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
Could I get some recommendations based on experience for a knife sharpener. I have never been much good at putting an edge on steel so several years ago I started using a havalon. But I'm left with sever knives that could used being sharpened. Plus my wife's kitchen set struggles to cut butter. Are the work sharp grinder style any good?? Some feed back would be great as I'm open to all ideas. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
They are. I also have a paper wheel grinder setup.

Edge angle vs steel type is a major component in sharp knives.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Worksharp. I'm horrible at double-edged blades, and I've tried many other systems, but this thing is by far the best. My wife just commented again today how nice it has been to have sharp blades lately.

Knife Sharpener – WSKTS – Work Sharp

I've been able to find them for $70 around here.

It comes with 80, 220, and 6000 grit belts. The coarser grits are good for putting an initial edge on or taking out big nicks, but too aggressive for regular use as they will grind away your blade pretty quickly. The 6000 is only good for final polishing on the razor edge. Therefore, I'm going to pick up some intermediate belts, probably some 600 and 1800 grit for general use.

wesfromky

WKR
I have the Ken Onion version of the worksharp, which is a bit nicer for working with knives. I also have a spyderco sharpmaker that I use for finishing or touchups. Can't go wrong with the combo - just set the worksharp to 20 degrees to match the spyderco.

jmez

WKR
I like my work sharp. I have the one pictures. It is simple and puts an edge on quickly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
bowkill02

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so far for all the feedback. Is the ko version. Worth the extra money, it just seems like alot?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
For a quick cheap low-tech touch up the Rada sharpener works wonders. Do not use a heavy hand as it can eat the metal and yes, the wheels are supposed to be loose. Use it at an angle. The simplicity makes it easy to use all the time so knives don't get dull. It does a pretty good job on my larger fixed blade broadheads too.

Knife sharpening is a rabbit hole that can become exceedingly complex and expensive. Learning to use a stone is a great skill to acquire.

The Work Sharp can put on a good edge quickly and easily. Just make sure to read the instructions first. If you don't understand the proper technique it can be easy to remove more material than necessary and even grind the point off- don't ask me how I know.

The wicked edge system lives up to its name, but it is pretty expensive. I would recommend a $40 bottle of bourbon, and waiting until about 2 am to order. It stings less that way. BUT, it is an incredibly accurate system that will have you honing every edge in the house. Order a set of good bandaids too, because you are apt to need them using traditional "let's see if this is sharp" techniques.

With stones and various other sharpeners I can dull a knife like nobodies business! I struggled until I bought a Lansky sharpening system and included the C-clamp base to use. Once I got it down it works great and I can get all of my hunting, pocket, and kitchen knives scary sharp! It might take me an average of about 20-35 minutes to get a perfect edge, but it is PERFECT and ultra sharp! To touch one up later on that I have put this really nice edge on only takes 5-10 minutes to get it back to scary sharp. It's not as fast as say the Work Sharp or some other systems but it works great and the cost is not bad. I have a buddy who has used the Work Sharp and has had me sharpen his knives. A couple things he observed are that the Lansky edge I put on lasts longer than either stoned or Work Sharp sharpened knives. The edge is also better and the knives are sharper.

Deluxe 5-Stone Knife Sharpening System | Lansky

Super "C" Clamp | Knife Sharpening Accessories | Lansky Sharpeners

If I would have found the KME sharpening system first I might have gotten it instead. It looks to be similar in design as the Lansky but maybe just a bit more precise and exact. I would get the base system with this sharpener if I bought it also. It really helps to hold the knives as you are sharpening.

KME Precision Knife Sharpening System

Knife Sharpening System Accessory Base

David
\

OP
bowkill02

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for so many reins fellas. I think I'm gona roll the dice with the work sharp and see how I do. I hope all of you have a merry christmas.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Josh213

FNG
good info...I have some knife sharpening work I need to get done, this information will help

ShakeDown

WKR
Sharp maker is good for touch-ups and edge maintenance, not so good for re-grinds and edge profile changes.

Work sharp is a good system that won’t break the bank, quick, easy and effective. Less control imo due to the nature of belt sharpening.

Clamp systems like KME are very affordable and will do a great job with softer steels but tend to be challenging with anything higher end. Very affordable.

Wicked Edge is a GREAT system. Very expensive. But they are the Leica of knife sharpening systems. Buy once cry once?

Myself I have an EdgePro Apex 4. Similar system to the Wicked Edge, with a few small differences that I prefer. Can’t go wrong with either. I like to think the EdgePro is the Swarovski of sharpening :)

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I use. Works great and it is light enough to bring into the field. https://www.worksharptools.com/guided-field-sharpener.html
I picked up one of these last year initially just to sharpen things at home but even though it may not be the lightest option out there, it's still pretty light and I'm not an oz. counter so it quickly ended up in My pack. It's a great sharpener! I think they now have another similar one with slightly less features that's a but lighter/ smaller called the pocket sharpener. Anyways, its worked awesome for me and I would recommend anyone to try it weather it's for home or the field

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk