DIY 10 Degree Quilt For Under $100

wihunter1

FNG
This is my first sewing project so excuse my lack of terminology or knowledge. I think it turned out pretty good and satisfies my wants and needs.Ill show my materials then explain why I choose them. I ordered all the material from Rip Stop By the Roll.
3 yards of 1.7 oz Robic XL Hybred ripstop nylon (black outside)
3 yards of 1.0 oz HyperD Diamond ripstop nylon (gray inside)
3 yards of 7.5 oz Climashield APEX 10 degree quilting
100% nylon thread
I used "Woodbow" on here as an excellent resource and thank you for the help! Now, I picked the internal and external material based on reviews and other peoples builds...I chose the 7.5oz APEX because I plan on using this mid september and possibly late october hunts. It might be a bit warm but as of now I wanted to make one that would be warm enough for 90% of the hunting I do and being a quilt, I can always uncover if I get warm. The specs on this quilt is 86" tall by 57" wide weighing 41oz. I am 170 lbs 5'11" and this goes over my head when laying in it. Obviously you could cut weight by making smaller but I didnt want to.

Lay all the material out starting from bottom APEX, Robic XL, HyperD (matte sides facing each other) Pin the whole outside and make a center line and measure ALL measurements off that. (still check measurements and squareness from every angle or line) Once you have lines drawn, cut and pin. I found it best to only pin the VERY outside of the fabric and nylon. (this helps with sewing as well) I left a 1" seam allowance, it might have been overkill but it worked very well for me. I then cut extra material once its sewn. I didnt put a zipper in but instead sewed a solid footbox in with a 15” circle and taper that went up to 31” I also put three tabs that I will use to secure it to the pad (check the drawing for measurements and locations.

IMG_20180816_203601_zpsv4kp3ivo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20180817_182137_zpskpwb60nl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20180818_093817_zpsc3vst1tn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When making the circle, I found it helpful to divide the circle into equal parts then mark marks that coorispond on the flat bottom of the quilt so as you sew, the marks will align and you will be confident your two ends of the bag, and circle all meet at the same point.

IMG_20180818_105229_zps6c9blj03.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20180818_122516_zpsbv3urqyb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20180818_150205_zpsvabqw2bv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This project is quite easy I thought and I know its FAR from perfect but with the savings of a couple hundred dollars I think anyone with a sewing machine can tackle. I used my moms old Sears Kenmore and the project took me about 12 hours beginning to end. (not including multiple youtube videos and threads I read on here. I basically know nothing about sewing but from the help from the guys on here you can do it! I put this up so hopefully it helps someone else feel comfortable enough to make their own and save some money. Thanks for looking!

WoodBow

WKR
Great job again. Fwiw i have had my quilt, which is basically identical, down to 16°. I slept with my puffy jacket on and felt like i was about at the bottom range of the temp range for the quilt. I was on a 4.4 R value insulated pad. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesome job wihunter.
Do either of you have pics of your quilt in a compression sack?
How small can you get it?

OP
wihunter1

wihunter1

FNG
Awesome job wihunter.
Do either of you have pics of your quilt in a compression sack?
How small can you get it?

Its about 20"long and 8"diameter I stuffed it in the Therm-a-rest pump sack and if I were to make a bag it would be similar size. One thing about APEX vs down is the lack of compression, although it is quite a large quilt.

RBHunter

WKR
After getting it done and being able to crawl in it do you think the 7.5 is going to hold the temperature rating you're looking for or do you think a guy should go to the 10?

Ehiggins

WKR
I run an almost identical quilt, with long underwear tops and bottoms 25 degrees is about the limit for me. I would consider myself a pretty warm sleeper as well. Used it last year in CO mid September and was fine, but wish I'd went with the 10.0 oz Apex instead.

OP
wihunter1

wihunter1

FNG
After getting it done and being able to crawl in it do you think the 7.5 is going to hold the temperature rating you're looking for or do you think a guy should go to the 10?
Great question, but I cannot answer that. The coldest I've slept is 55° and I woke up sweating. I'll be camping it at 8500' September 10-23 and I'll write a review after I return. I use a 5.7 R value pad and am hoping for the best .

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've had my 7.5 quit down to the mid teens and, that is definitely going to the lower limits with it on a 4.4 R value pad. If I had extra clothes on I could make it to single digits

RBHunter

WKR
Thanks for the responses. I ordered a kit and went with the 10 oz. Sept, Oct, and possible November (with a stove but still) in Montana I'd rather be warmer than colder

OP
wihunter1

wihunter1

FNG
UPDATE: I stayed in the quilt for 6 nights this season, the warmest was 55 and not sure what the coldest was but it was below 32 because my bite valve and hose froze. I slept in my underwear and a long sleeve light weight thermal...on nights when it was 50+ degrees I woke up sweating and took my shirt off and nights below 32 I slept like a baby, I think it could handle temps in the teens (with pants and a jacket on for sure). Anyway, it did exactly what I wanted it to and I'm extremely happy with it... I'll be making another one for my brother this winter.

danny229

FNG
UPDATE: I stayed in the quilt for 6 nights this season, the warmest was 55 and not sure what the coldest was but it was below 32 because my bite valve and hose froze. I slept in my underwear and a long sleeve light weight thermal...on nights when it was 50+ degrees I woke up sweating and took my shirt off and nights below 32 I slept like a baby, I think it could handle temps in the teens (with pants and a jacket on for sure). Anyway, it did exactly what I wanted it to and I'm extremely happy with it... I'll be making another one for my brother this winter.

Thanks for the follow up! I have had a hard time finding people online who sewed a bag and then came back to report on how it handled in the wild.

Just read the thread, and you’ve got me really intrigued. Some of the pictures have broken links, though. Would you be willing to repost the pics that no longer show up?

Thanks for the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk