Sausage stuffer refurb

WoodBow

WKR
A little change of pace from the norm here. I have been wanting to get more into sausage making. I made some summer sausage from a sheep a year ago and loved it. But i hated stuffing it using the grinder. It is a very inefficient process. So i started shopping for stuffing options. Choices seemed to be by a new stuffer with plastic gears for about $150, build a water stuffer, or buy an antique cast iron stuffer and refurb it. The vintage ones seem to go for about $150-200. I did not want to spend that much so it took several months of keeping an eye on CL and the FB marketplace to find a bargain. I finally came across this one for $80. It was in decent shape but had a fair bit of rust and the plate was solid rust. I got it all diassembled with a little encouragement from a propane torch here and there. I treated all of the parts in a homemade electrolysis tank to get them back to bare metal. I seasoned the gears and acme rod like you would a cast iron skillet. The other parts got a fresh coat of enamel paint. She looks and works like new now. I see a saturday of sausage making in my near future.
8661b46d9203bc08b0e8864b36a672d5.jpg
42672121240f131c31a43d9265001728.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Turned out very nice. I've been looking for one for awhile too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Here's my old Enterprise I did a few years ago. It was all chipped up black enamel over the cast iron. I stripped all the paint and seasoned it all with oil like a cast iron pot.

i.php

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Looks good muddydogs. A enterprise stuffer is really what I was in the market for. Most seemed to be about $150 on craigslist. I found a few sub $100 but never could get a reply to my messages. In the end though, i really like the one I ended up with; especially the fact that it is an 8 quart.

muddydogs

WKR
Mine is only a 6 quart stuffer, I would like a little bigger but I just can't see paying the price they want for the things. My Dad gave me this one a few years ago, I think he paid $20 at a yard sale for it missing the tubes and tube nut. Dad has a couple more he's picked up at different places for next to nothing but he's lucky like that.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I do love me a good yard sale find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk