DIY Jacket?

hjcruger

FNG
Hi, all. I've recently developed an addiction to making gear. I've always liked making things (I've worked jobs that had me doing carpentry, masonry, landscaping, etc.), and I began sewing at the end of this summer to try a different means of creating useful items. I've taken on a bunch of small projects, as well as a backpacking quilt and a 9'x9' tarp. I'd like to try making my own apparel for backpack hunting, but I'm a bit intimidated. Has anyone here sewed up an insulated jacket? How difficult was it? Time is not a problem for me. I've always said if you're doing something you love, you can't value your time. I also like to sit down in front of a sewing machine for 4-8 hours and go to work. Any input is greatly appreciated.

OP
hjcruger

hjcruger

FNG
Hi, all. I've recently developed an addiction to making gear. I've always liked making things (I've worked jobs that had me doing carpentry, masonry, landscaping, etc.), and I began sewing at the end of this summer to try a different means of creating useful items. I've taken on a bunch of small projects, as well as a backpacking quilt and a 9'x9' tarp. I'd like to try making my own apparel for backpack hunting, but I'm a bit intimidated. Has anyone here sewed up an insulated jacket? How difficult was it? Time is not a problem for me. I've always said if you're doing something you love, you can't value your time. I also like to sit down in front of a sewing machine for 4-8 hours and go to work. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Awesome link. Thank you for that. Just ordered patterns for a rain jacket and pants set, as well as a quarter zip insulated hoodie.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I made a raglan sleeve Apex insulation zip up puffy last winter after I finished making my new sleeping bag. It was a learning experience but was not that difficult at all to create the pattern and execute it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ROJO23

FNG
my mother in law made me the Fairbanks jacket from green pepper. I used 3.6 apex insulation and ripstop nylon. she is very talented with sewing, and she said the ripstop was a pain to sew. it turned out perfect, and it is extremely warm. she said the sleeves were a pain.

I had some material left over, and I made a pull over vest with the same design as the Fairbanks. I used 1.6 ripstop, and the material is very slippery. a walking foot helped a lot with the feed rate. Before the walking foot the bottom material was pulling through the machine faster than the top.

WoodBow

WKR
my mother in law made me the Fairbanks jacket from green pepper. I used 3.6 apex insulation and ripstop nylon. she is very talented with sewing, and she said the ripstop was a pain to sew. it turned out perfect, and it is extremely warm. she said the sleeves were a pain.

I had some material left over, and I made a pull over vest with the same design as the Fairbanks. I used 1.6 ripstop, and the material is very slippery. a walking foot helped a lot with the feed rate. Before the walking foot the bottom material was pulling through the machine faster than the top.
Sounds like silnylon. That stuff is the devil. I much prefer to work with PU coated nylon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
You can also buy eVent fabric, which would be easier to work with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
I made a raglan sleeve Apex insulation zip up puffy last winter after I finished making my new sleeping bag. It was a learning experience but was not that difficult at all to create the pattern and execute it.

Did you base it off another design or just decided what you wanted and made your own pattern?

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
Did you base it off another design or just decided what you wanted and made your own pattern?

After running several different jackets over the years I just decided I wanted to try and make my own with heavier insulation. Basically I just worked up my own pattern based ok n a simple raglan sleeve. I will try to post a couple of pictures for you tonight after I get back from work.

valtteri

FNG
I would also be interested in seeing photos of the jackets you’ve made. Especially the Green Pepper Fairbanks. Been thinking of trying to make one too.