Leather bino harness

AGPank

WKR
I’ve always been curious about leather craft. After buying a Saddleback Leather briefcase I got the bug for leather again. I decided to make a custom home for my underutilized EL 10x42.

It’s all hand stitched, obvious by the imperfections. I found very heavy leather scraps on Amazon, maybe I could have made a cleaner version. It’s a vegetable tanned leather that will snap onto another harness I have. I’m also thinking about a cross-body shoulder sling too.

d8a64b5f37cef78978cd020f64dfffbb.jpg

4cf8b22ad8cd435069d088158cbe0b1d.jpg

8e2fd7d86a464ce96878d8c7ae2e3992.jpg

455e57d0cc2f885c7688816b5e2c0c10.jpg

208761feeb45d9a5b48b7387f7994249.jpg

5db72a8d60c3637f7d0a391462be2f24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
Any reasons for this other than the aesthetics/your taste for leather?

I appreciate the craftsmanship, I'm just curious.

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Absolutely none. It’s really not noticeably heavier than another style. It should last a long time and patina with use.

WoodBow

WKR
What are you using to sew it with? I've done a fair bit of hand sewing leather and I always pre punched my holes with a homemade awl/punch. I made them out of cheap screw drivers. I preferred using a small flat bladed tip rather than just an awl shape. I liked the way it looked. I also used a homemade device to space my stitches evenly and in a straight line. I would take something like two 1/4" rods, sharpen them to a point and tape them together. Then I could press them into the leather and then lift it and move it over so the 1st pin is in the 2nd hole and the 2nd pin is making a new 3rd hole. This is just to make indents that you will punch into later. You can also buy punches that make multiple holes at a time and use the same technique but you get to skip a step.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work! Would be neat to see some wet molded pockets for rangefinder or windicator.

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Hand sewing (saddle stitch).

I bought a little kit that had spacer punches and the wheel. This leather is thick, 1/8”+. Punching proved slow and difficult. I have an awl, worse. I marked even holes and drilled with 1/16 drill bit.

I need to do a better job of laying it out in planning stage, prepping holes while flat, and then shaping. The needles I ended up with were horrible, soft and too thick. They would bend and were hard to get through the leather.

I shaped the leather, contact glued them, made holes and then sewed. I worked late after getting my 4-yr old to bed and between honey-do’s. I would need some peace and quiet to improve sewing quality. That and practice.

Cool but doesnt leather attract moisture? Make sure you dont store binocs or gear in there after the season.

WoodBow

WKR
I gotcha. Yea you will like it much more if you punch it flat. Just takes more planning ahead. I drive the punches with a hammer. The stuff i mainly worked with was probably 3/16. Very important to keep your punch straight up and down or your stitching goes to crap on the back side. I tried drilling some holes but I did not like the look of the finished product. Punches push that top grain down into a hole and has a nice finished look to it.

Alexander

FNG
is there any benefit to doing this with a machine? Or is it just not feasible on smaller projects? Love this, can't wait to see more