Diy tipi

jindermuehle

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning everyone. I'm designing my own backpack tipi and has some questions. Has anyone built their own tipi? What material did you use? Silnylon? Cordura? What thickness? What pole? Zipper no zipper? I'm thinking of making it several sided to help with wind. But not sure yet. It will have stove jack, seam sealed etc. this will be a all season lightweight backpack shelter. All input is appreciated. Links to quality material also appreciated.

WoodBow

WKR
Mine is 8 sided. My next one will be 10 or 12 sided to get the desired size without having to splice panels due to 60" fabric width. I used 1.3 oz PU coated ripstop nylon. I hate working with silnylon with a passion. 500 d cordura reinforcements. Gutted pcord stake loops. 8 foot pole from rei.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
jindermuehle

jindermuehle

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! How does the multi side do in the wind? Where did you buy your fabric from? Thank you again

WoodBow

WKR
It does well in the wind. I will say that i would recommend adding guy out points about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. They are not necessary for a good pitch but will help a lot in heavy wind. We got hammered with a wind storm this year and it pushes the windward side in considerably. I think guy lines would have made a huge difference.

WoodBow

WKR
Forgot to mention that yes you want a zipper. Does not need to be waterproof and you dont need a flap covering it.

WoodBow

WKR
Seek outside box stove
3326ff9638a6638c49b5e577988b022e.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I built this one a couple years ago and it's been a great shelter.
ed7ed5625486ee456950c11e6c89d495.jpg
I have a write up on here where it documents what I used and the steps I followed.
9ead195e5397c2bdc58d66365f5ab9a2.jpg
f336ff0ff0c675093730de58f661b470.jpg

Last edited:
OP
jindermuehle

jindermuehle

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, Ill track it down, it looks like you used a shape like the sawtooth. How do you like that shape in the wind? I'm from colorado and will be hunting above tree line. so wind can be an issue.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome, Ill track it down, it looks like you used a shape like the sawtooth. How do you like that shape in the wind? I'm from colorado and will be hunting above tree line. so wind can be an issue.
I personally think it's a better design for the wind. I always try and set the back into the wind but doesn't always work out. I've had it out in some crazy winds. In my thread you'll read about some dramas but overall I've been impressed with this shelter.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
Ripstop by the roll usually has a 15% off your order sale around black friday, good time to start a project

Beendare

WKR
If you search the topic, there is a lot of info on the subject of DIY Tipis.
My take;
There is no real cost savings if you factor in your time. There IS a lot of satisfaction doing it yourself if you are a DIY guy.

Material cost will be from $150-$450 with the various sil fabrics, about $800-$1000 if you use Cuben.

Programs likes Sketchup are fantastic to design your shelter. Once you get it the way you want it you can dimension each panel then add for seam allowance. Save your design to a PDF so you don't lose your design if you discontinue the program [or end free trial period]

Managing the Fabric is a big deal- its slippery. Some guys use glue stick, double stick tape or Pin. Personally I did the pinning....and eventually pinned to start a seam then made lines on my sewing machine table so I could just fold and go without pinning [much faster once you get a feel for it]

You want to use a flat felled seam for it to be waterproof, I just folded twice as it was easier for me to manage seam allowances of all the same dimensions [1 1/4" allowance on mine for a 5/8" seam]

I used a straight seam with no Catenary cut. My reasoning was the other tipis I ve owned and been in lost a lot of useable space with the Cat cut. The cat cut does help tension the fabric better.

If you are doing a Tipi with all of the same dimensions for panels, it gets to where you can just fold and go working your way around in a circle keeping the fabric straight....allowing addl fabric for zipper area of course.

IMHO, its best to sew in your top cone reinforcement during the process instead of waiting

Mine Pictured;
1A04C3F7-DA73-4F28-A339-6C180C936511.jpgfirst lake.jpgfirst pitch.jpg
Montana about 10 miles from Yellowstone, Alaska and in my backyard first pitch.

I did 12 sides as I've seen some of the big paneled pyramid style tipis sag like a mofo. More sewing, and more weight....but stronger with less sag.

I made a skirt on the inside of mine with vents, so I can pitch it a little high and control ventilation.

I have guyouts on mine but have never used them- they haven't been necessary. I've had it in some very strong gusty winds [50 mph] and the wind didn't phase it one bit. The cone shape sheds wind better than any other design I've seen. [I've had winds of 90 mph shred other tents]

If using a stove, keep the pipe at least 12" from your pole...or a tad more.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The down side of the cone tipi is it's footprint size. That is where the other designs come into play. Useable size vs footprint size. Might not be an issue where you plan to use it

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you search the topic, there is a lot of info on the subject of DIY Tipis.
My take;
There is no real cost savings if you factor in your time. There IS a lot of satisfaction doing it yourself if you are a DIY guy.

Material cost will be from $150-$450 with the various sil fabrics, about $800-$1000 if you use Cuben.

Programs likes Sketchup are fantastic to design your shelter. Once you get it the way you want it you can dimension each panel then add for seam allowance. Save your design to a PDF so you don't lose your design if you discontinue the program [or end free trial period]

Managing the Fabric is a big deal- its slippery. Some guys use glue stick, double stick tape or Pin. Personally I did the pinning....and eventually pinned to start a seam then made lines on my sewing machine table so I could just fold and go without pinning [much faster once you get a feel for it]

You want to use a flat felled seam for it to be waterproof, I just folded twice as it was easier for me to manage seam allowances of all the same dimensions [1 1/4" allowance on mine for a 5/8" seam]

I used a straight seam with no Catenary cut. My reasoning was the other tipis I ve owned and been in lost a lot of useable space with the Cat cut. The cat cut does help tension the fabric better.

If you are doing a Tipi with all of the same dimensions for panels, it gets to where you can just fold and go working your way around in a circle keeping the fabric straight....allowing addl fabric for zipper area of course.

IMHO, its best to sew in your top cone reinforcement during the process instead of waiting

Mine Pictured;
View attachment 82130View attachment 82131View attachment 82132
Montana about 10 miles from Yellowstone, Alaska and in my backyard first pitch.

I did 12 sides as I've seen some of the big paneled pyramid style tipis sag like a mofo. More sewing, and more weight....but stronger with less sag.

I made a skirt on the inside of mine with vents, so I can pitch it a little high and control ventilation.

I have guyouts on mine but have never used them- they haven't been necessary. I've had it in some very strong gusty winds [50 mph] and the wind didn't phase it one bit. The cone shape sheds wind better than any other design I've seen. [I've had winds of 90 mph shred other tents]

If using a stove, keep the pipe at least 12" from your pole...or a tad more.

Awesome looking shelter Beendare, you have skills.