DIY vs MFG Wood Stove

HuntEmUp

FNG
Looking at powering my megatarp with a wood stove, and I think I have it narrowed down to a cylinder instead of box (TBD based on comments/experiences posted). I'm wondering if it's worth undertaking a DIY since after pricing the parts out, I'd only be saving about $80. Anyone out there make your own, and wish you'd just bought it? Looking at the LiteOutdoors fwiw.

Napperm4

WKR
I’ve done my own and bought them. In my opinion, was fun to tinker and make some stones. Got a few designs that worked alright.

Kept and would just suggest buying one. By the time I got all the parts and tools to do it right it worked out about the same price. I can do them cheaper than titanium out of stainless but I think the titanium lasts longer.

I have and run the lite outdoors now and can’t recommend Brennan highly enough

OP
H

HuntEmUp

FNG
I definitely appreciate the input, and kind of what I was thinking. I love making things myself, but there's a common sense cutoff, especially when having to buy the right tools on top of the materials. The Lite Outdoors design looks pretty dialed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
I am hardcore diy, sometimes to a fault. I have been deep down the rabbit hole. I live by the motto that what one man can do, so can another. However i drew the line at the stove. Cost savings was so small and i wanted it to work great. Would really suck to spend a bunch of money to build one and it not function as well as you would like. I just sucked it up and bought a seek outside box stove. No regrets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I really like DIY. Love to tinker with metal. After pricing the parts, materials, I bought a Lite Outdoors 18" stove. I love it. If I had miss cut any of the parts and had to buy more, I would have broke even or lost. I also wanted it to work as good as could be.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
Even getting a really good deal on ti foil i could not beat brandons pricing where building a cylinder stove ad opposed to buying one was worth it. I would personally buy one from him rather then diy one of his stoves.

If you are looking to make a tighter and better stove then is out there (other then 4 dogs) it is possible but coming from a welder/fabricator/machinist you are going to have more time and money in tools then the stove you get.

This said as weekender7 said there is something to be said about tinkering..... IMO most the stoves on the market look like stove designed by backpack companies. I have a high pressure operators lic and ran boilers. It was hard to justify putting woood innsome of those things. So I went the diy route. Just know it is a slippery slope.