Mcr-85 copycat tent

It is a really fine project, and the fact that you have the skills and patience to keep making improvements is awesome. I'm totally impressed.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a really fine project, and the fact that you have the skills and patience to keep making improvements is awesome. I'm totally impressed.
Thanks for the kind words. Not many skills but I try and give it hell. If I can make this so could anyone on this forum.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Really nice job, looks like a scaled-up Mountain Shelter LT. If someone was willing to measure out the panels into patterns, the whole structure could be scaled up or down as desired, without any design changes. That would be awesome for the DIY community.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here was home for my desert sheep hunt. Wind got gusts over 50mph and everything held together. I do believe the front and rear guy outs really helped. I also knew I'd wouldn't have to carry this shelter and brought some heavy duty stakes
ef50c80d4e690bfffef5307aea2af06a.jpg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pole did flex a scary amount so I lashed my trekking poles to it. It seems to give it some extra strength I'll be looking to upgrade the center pole to a larger stronger size
c7d073700562812fd5c2f58b80e87e62.jpg

WoodBow

WKR
The pole did flex a scary amount so I lashed my trekking poles to it. It seems to give it some extra strength I'll be looking to upgrade the center pole to a larger stronger size
c7d073700562812fd5c2f58b80e87e62.jpg

We got some pretty sketchy winds one night this year in my DIY tipi. It made me decide to add guy lines. You don't need them until you need them. I have the beefy rei pole and it tolerated the beating very well. When I made that tipi I put stake loops at every corner and one in the middle of each panel. I had never used the ones in the middle of the panels and thought man that was a big waste of time......until we got all that wind and we were out there pounding stakes into those mid panel loops. I was dang glad I had them. Felt like the tipi was about to blow off the mountain. Nothing like having 2 dudes 5 miles back into the high country in the middle of the night who are totally dependent on your homemade tent. I was STRESSED!

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a link? What's the diameter? Definitely upgrading for piece of mind
We got some pretty sketchy winds one night this year in my DIY tipi. It made me decide to add guy lines. You don't need them until you need them. I have the beefy rei pole and it tolerated the beating very well. When I made that tipi I put stake loops at every corner and one in the middle of each panel. I had never used the ones in the middle of the panels and thought man that was a big waste of time......until we got all that wind and we were out there pounding stakes into those mid panel loops. I was dang glad I had them. Felt like the tipi was about to blow off the mountain. Nothing like having 2 dudes 5 miles back into the high country in the middle of the night who are totally dependent on your homemade tent. I was STRESSED!

Beendare

WKR
REI Co-op Adjustable Tarp Pole - Single | REI Co-op

28 mm for the 8 foot one im using. I drilled more holes in it for finer adjustment.

I've used ^ that pole for my homegrown 12 panel Tipi...pictured here on a backpack hunt near Big Sky
1A04C3F7-DA73-4F28-A339-6C180C936511.jpg

I actually prefer cutting a lodgepole over that REI pole....lighter to pack in too. If I tighten up my tipi too tight in the cold, when I fire up the stove or in the sun the tension created by fabric will actually bend the REI pole from fabric tension. I had no idea how strong these tipis can be. The tension they create in impressive.

WoodBow

WKR
I've used ^ that pole for my homegrown 12 panel Tipi...pictured here on a backpack hunt near Big Sky
View attachment 80477

I actually prefer cutting a lodgepole over that REI pole....lighter to pack in too. If I tighten up my tipi too tight in the cold, when I fire up the stove or in the sun the tension created by fabric will actually bend the REI pole from fabric tension. I had no idea how strong these tipis can be. The tension they create in impressive.
I have experienced the same thing but the only issue it has caused for me is it can be diffucult to remove the pole with all that load on it. Now i drop the pole one notch (my notches are half the factory distance) in the mornings or before stove use. Soft ground will self regulate the situation as well. The pole will just push into the ground when a lot of load is applied. Then you just add length as needed. Rain seems to be what always causes the situation for me. The fabric stretches and i add pole length to maintain a good pitch. Then the fabric dries in the sun and shrinks. Like i said, you just have to know that will happen and make adjustments as needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I have experienced the same thing but the only issue it has caused for me is it can be diffucult to remove the pole with all that load on it. Now i drop the pole one notch (my notches are half the factory distance) in the mornings or before stove use. Soft ground will self regulate the situation as well. The pole will just push into the ground when a lot of load is applied. Then you just add length as needed. Rain seems to be what always causes the situation for me. The fabric stretches and i add pole length to maintain a good pitch. Then the fabric dries in the sun and shrinks. Like i said, you just have to know that will happen and make adjustments as needed.

Yeah agreed...good explanation......... and a great design and sewing job with that tent BTW to yourself and the original poster.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thinking back on it I believe that's the main reason my center pole flexed I over tightened the new front and rear guy outs. It was storming hard when I set it up so after I got all the stakes in and the tent raised up I added the rear and front guy outs and snugged them down good (to tight) they shouldn't need any extra tension to keep everything in place. I think after the last instance of the center pole coming out the top in the wind I got nervous and over did it. I did reenforce all that so I should be golden now. I'm going to get the 28mm pole anyways for cheap insurance. This shelter design has impressed me.

big44a4

WKR
Nice! Cool to see so many people making their own. Gave me inspiration to do mine, but I modeled it after a kifaru tut. I need help with a few finishing touches.

How did anyone add a vent?

Also what’s the best way to add patch for top and bottom where the pole goes? Just lay it out as flat as I can and sew a circle patch on both sides even though it’s a pyramid shape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice! Cool to see so many people making their own. Gave me inspiration to do mine, but I modeled it after a kifaru tut. I need help with a few finishing touches.

How did anyone add a vent?

Also what’s the best way to add patch for top and bottom where the pole goes? Just lay it out as flat as I can and sew a circle patch on both sides even though it’s a pyramid shape?

After everything that happened I still think I would go with a 6" cordura circle with the strap reinforcement to hold the pole in place similar to this picture but larger. Secure it to the door zipper. The zipper doesn't stretch so that keeps it pretty stable. You could always trim the circle but the excess will protect the cone of the shelter
16c2a4976ee5dfb382220128fdea8ed1.jpg

Here's my repair after having the pole go outside. Notice how small I left the original tan and I had to add the larger 6" circle
3f0a6807b74637db4e927561e9297823.jpg

Last edited:

big44a4

WKR
After everything that happened I still think I would go with a 6" cordura circle with the strap reinforcement to hold the pole in place similar to this picture but larger. Secure it to the door zipper. The zipper doesn't stretch so that keeps it pretty stable. You could always trim the circle but the excess will protect the cone of the shelter
16c2a4976ee5dfb382220128fdea8ed1.jpg

Here's my repair after having the pole go outside. Notice how small I left the original tan and I had to add the larger 6" circle
3f0a6807b74637db4e927561e9297823.jpg

Yeah. I’ll try a circle on inside and a cone outside on top then.