DIY Yeti Cooler

Been wanting a yeti cooler for a while now and could never muster up the courage to spend all that money on the one I wanted. So being the kind of guy I am (I like to make stuff) I thought I'd build one. After it was all said and done it ended up costing more than I envisioned but was still much less than the $800 yeti. Also get the satisfaction and knowledge gained from another project completed.

This cooler is 4'x2'x2'. Framed with 1.5" pine furing strips, they are cheap and light. exterior plastic is a product called starboard, a chemical and UV treated type of HDPE, 1/4" thick (used a lot for boat decking and such). 2" thick rigid insulation foam was used in the walls and bottom. for the inside liner I used 1/8" PVC sheet and made a box to line the inside. All seems were glued with pvc pipe glue, then I put a bead of silicone on the backside of the seems. Once the box liner was installed in place I used plastic weld to further fortify the seems. I used 1"x1" aluminum angle metal to protect and trim all exterior seems. Stainless steel screws were used throughout. Made the lid in the same fashion as the rest of the cooler and attached it with four small but heavy duty stainless steel hinges. The lid features 3 1/2" of foam insulation and has a step down on the inside to fit tight to the inside dimension of the cooler. I then installed a stop rail on the inside of the cooler with neoprene gasket to make a tight seal when the lid is shut. Made nylon rope handles and used dishwasher hose for the grips. Inside the hose I inserted a length of 1/2" pvc pipe to add strength and rigidity. Bought some replacement yeti latches to finish it off.

There is a lot Im leaving out and I got too involved at times to remember to take pictures. So my pics are missing a lot of steps but you should get the idea.

KIMG0134.jpgKIMG0138.jpgKIMG0143.jpgKIMG0144.jpg

Attachments

• KIMG0147.jpg
    KIMG0147.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 498

colonel00

WKR
Unfortunately the photos in the second and third posts aren't showing for me. Interesting project though.

Edit: For the photos, it's usually best to upload photos to a photo hosting site like photobucket and then you just link them on forums. Makes it much easier.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I love the work done! Bang up job indeed. Keep us informed how it handles ice and meat because I may want to build one for my truck on hunts where I travel. Thanks

OP
E
I put 40lbs of ice and 24 beers in the cooler on friday. 40lbs of ice does not even make a dent in this beast. with the ice and beer there were still balds spots on the bottom where you could see the floor. Its been pretty warm here in N. Ca and the cooler is outside. So far about a third of the ice has melted and it went into the cooler when it was warm. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. The insulation and air seal is way beyond any standard ice chest so it should do a much better job holding large amounts of ice and meat.

mcsdbm

FNG
Looks awesome, how did your detail on the drain work? I can't quite see it in the photos I usually loose my plug or break them off during the first few uses.

OP
E
Looks awesome, how did your detail on the drain work? I can't quite see it in the photos I usually loose my plug or break them off during the first few uses.

Plug is pretty simple. I found a black pvc nipple that already came with a nice threaded cap. I believe it is supposed to go to some sort of irrigation system. All I did was bore a 1" hole through the wall and seal the inside of the hole with caulk. Then cut the nipple to the right length and push it through the hole. Then I used plastic weld around the seems to make sure no water could get inside the wall of the cooler. All I have to do is leave the cap on a little loose and the water will slowly drip out. If I loose the cap I can go back to hardware store and buy another for around a dollar.

KHNC

WKR
Id never have the patience to make that. BUT, it looks pretty damn kick ass! Great job!