WY Elk-Unit 7

Hey Guys...I'm looking for any info on unit 7 in Wyoming for elk. I've done alot of hunting in wyoming as I was born and raised up there until I moved to Colorado after college. I picked up a leftover type 6 cow tag and just curious of the activity of them up there. I know it can nasty weather pushing herds onto private early. Is it worth hiking in and spike camping a few miles in or jsut day hike from a trailhead/campground?
TIA

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bull tag this year, plan to spend a decent amount of time during September archery season. I can keep you posted on what I am seeing.

LostArra

WKR
I have a bull tag this year, plan to spend a decent amount of time during September archery season. I can keep you posted on what I am seeing.

Just curious: how many points did you have?

Apologize for the hijack

Co_jakrabt: are you hunting bow or rifle?

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
10 points... I am open to suggestions too if people have experience in the area... but have heard earlier is better.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
Area 7 is tough on public. Hunted last 4 years there. Weather is the key.

wytx

WKR
Do you know your restrictions on that type 6 tag? Private land only in Albany Co until Oct 15, you're good in Platte and Converse Co early though.
Late the HMA and walkin can pay off but it can be work.
Yes the weather late can be nasty.

OP
C
Do you know your restrictions on that type 6 tag? Private land only in Albany Co until Oct 15, you're good in Platte and Converse Co early though.
Late the HMA and walkin can pay off but it can be work.
Yes the weather late can be nasty.

Yes i did know that. Thanks...i'll research some more. It's only a couple hours from home so i shoul dbe able to make it up a decent amount of times.

wytx

WKR
Yes i did know that. Thanks...i'll research some more. It's only a couple hours from home so i shoul dbe able to make it up a decent amount of times.

Cool. You should be able to keep tabs on weather and hunt when the elk move down or when it's not nasty outside.
You might stop in at the Sybille Research Center when passing through the canyon. Matt, Sam or Colt might have some info on where the elk have been hanging out. Don't overlook the smaller sections here and there in the area, those elk move all over and across into area 6.

10 points... I am open to suggestions too if people have experience in the area... but have heard earlier is better.

We hunted unit 7 in 2016, public land, and filled 5 cow elk tags. We hunted our butts off, but had a blast. If you have a bull tag, I saw a giant in an area called Pinto Rock HMA. We were into elk everyday, and if I could draw a bull tag, I would burn 10 pts in a heart beat.

nrh6.7

WKR
We hunted unit 7 in 2016, public land, and filled 5 cow elk tags. We hunted our butts off, but had a blast. If you have a bull tag, I saw a giant in an area called Pinto Rock HMA. We were into elk everyday, and if I could draw a bull tag, I would burn 10 pts in a heart beat.

Were you bow or rifle hunting there?

OP
C
How's everyone doing this year in Unit 7? Now that Archery is done here in CO, i plan on making a few trips up to WY to fill the cow tag.

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a good 6x6 in unit 7 on Sept 15th this year. I shot it on private land but we did chase a herd of about 25 around on walk-in and state land a few nights later while my dad was trying to fill his tag. He didn't get his elk so we may be going back the last weekend of the season with a rifle. Hard to not keep after it considering how hard the tag is to draw.

Jared

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WKR
Bump...

Still have a leftover cow tag I'd like a chance to fill.

Went up there last weekend and looked around. Good looking country, though the access puzzle is a bit of a challenge.

Trying to get in contact of the biologist hasn't worked out yet.

Just moved to Cheyenne from the central part of the state and trying to get my bearings in the hunting areas around here.

Advice appreciated.

wytx

WKR
G&F did some flying last weekend up there and from what I heard they did not see a ton of elk so that tells me they have moved down some perhaps. They did see a number of bighorn sheep so that makes me think they were over the mountains flying not out over the HMAs. I can however inquire as to where they were flying to clarify, don't know why I didn't before posting.

M__C

FNG
G&F did some flying last weekend up there and from what I heard they did not see a ton of elk so that tells me they have moved down some perhaps. They did see a number of bighorn sheep so that makes me think they were over the mountains flying not out over the HMAs. I can however inquire as to where they were flying to clarify, don't know why I didn't before posting.

I appreciate the good info! Thank you!

Did you hear anything about the locations that they flew over yet?

Anyone been in the area as of late?

OP
C
I was up over the last weekend. Access was sketchy with the snow and drifts built up on the roads. I saw a few guys stuck and get dug out. No elk were spotted. Menter Knob had a bunch according to the GFP, but those slips were all gone. Pinto Creek didnt have any elk there were reported. A small herd was on the Cross C Ranch. I'm trying to make a last ditch effort on a trespass fee to fill my tag before the 31st. At this point, with the snow and weather up high, I can only assume they are all down low now. I did hear from a local hunter that there was about 1000 head on a buffalo ranch on the Wheatland side.

M__C

FNG
I was up over the last weekend. Access was sketchy with the snow and drifts built up on the roads. I saw a few guys stuck and get dug out. No elk were spotted. Menter Knob had a bunch according to the GFP, but those slips were all gone. Pinto Creek didnt have any elk there were reported. A small herd was on the Cross C Ranch. I'm trying to make a last ditch effort on a trespass fee to fill my tag before the 31st. At this point, with the snow and weather up high, I can only assume they are all down low now. I did hear from a local hunter that there was about 1000 head on a buffalo ranch on the Wheatland side.

Oh wow, I also heard there is about 400 head off of deer creek on some private they call "Gordys" Thanks for the update.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have also hunted up there a few times and this time of year and how worm its been I would camp at the trail head just because the few times I have been up in unit 7 it only seams like the bulls get pushed over onto peoples land the cows don't move off as much. It also helps with a unit that size to be close to the truck just incase you get skunked in the first spot that you can move to the other side of the unit to try your luck. That and when weather roles in this time of year it hits hard and it is nice to not be camped two or three miles from the truck.

lcneo2112

FNG
Certainly following this thread I got a type 7 In unit 7 tag for cow. Starts January 1st through the access yes program I got a bunch of private land access. Never been to the unit. And the thought of getting stuck worries me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk