Questions on Colorado Public Land Access, Overnighting and Road travel

Mrfoozle

FNG
Good Morning!

A friend and I are eagerly awaiting an archery elk hunt mid-september in colorado, and have a few questions about Roads, Camping and Access that I'm hoping you all can help me figure out.

In order to get to know the unit better this year before a "serious" hunt next year (we're considering this a scouting with weapon year) we'll be traveling around the unit alot, and sleeping in our vehicles overnight on the side of roads. From there we'll spike out and explore different back country areas.

It comes down to three questions essentially (i've searched, but not found the answers to these q's in particular):

1) National Forest Service - We'll probably be spending alot of time on national forest service land, and I've printed out a whole bunch of the grids from Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas for MVUM information. If a road / trail is not listed there, is it correct that we can't drive a vehicle on it? From my extensive google earth viewing I see alot of roads in the unit that look like they were from a logging operation, and I'd bet that they are big enough to get a big rig through full of logs, and may be passable with a SUV, but they are not on the NFS maps.

2) BLM Land - There are a number of dirt roads that go from a colorado highway, through private land, and then through BLM, and then more private etc. Some of these are on google maps, Some can be found on ONX maps (often not the same roads). How can I figure out which of these I can drive on? There is one in particular i've followed with google earth that looks to have a tiny bridge on private land, right next to someones stock yard. Looks like they might control access to the area, but there are other homes / ranches further up that road. What's the rule of thumb here? or is there not one?

3) Overnighting in the car on BLM - Any issues with this as long as I know we're on BLM, and parked off the road safely? Internet searches suggest its ok, but wanted to check in with the experienced people.

Thanks in advance for your helping an eastern newbie understand public land access!
-Scott

gbflyer

WKR
Good Morning!

A friend and I are eagerly awaiting an archery elk hunt mid-september in colorado, and have a few questions about Roads, Camping and Access that I'm hoping you all can help me figure out.

In order to get to know the unit better this year before a "serious" hunt next year (we're considering this a scouting with weapon year) we'll be traveling around the unit alot, and sleeping in our vehicles overnight on the side of roads. From there we'll spike out and explore different back country areas.

It comes down to three questions essentially (i've searched, but not found the answers to these q's in particular):

1) National Forest Service - We'll probably be spending alot of time on national forest service land, and I've printed out a whole bunch of the grids from Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas for MVUM information. If a road / trail is not listed there, is it correct that we can't drive a vehicle on it? From my extensive google earth viewing I see alot of roads in the unit that look like they were from a logging operation, and I'd bet that they are big enough to get a big rig through full of logs, and may be passable with a SUV, but they are not on the NFS maps.

2) BLM Land - There are a number of dirt roads that go from a colorado highway, through private land, and then through BLM, and then more private etc. Some of these are on google maps, Some can be found on ONX maps (often not the same roads). How can I figure out which of these I can drive on? There is one in particular i've followed with google earth that looks to have a tiny bridge on private land, right next to someones stock yard. Looks like they might control access to the area, but there are other homes / ranches further up that road. What's the rule of thumb here? or is there not one?

3) Overnighting in the car on BLM - Any issues with this as long as I know we're on BLM, and parked off the road safely? Internet searches suggest its ok, but wanted to check in with the experienced people.

Thanks in advance for your helping an eastern newbie understand public land access!
-Scott

The Forest Service also produces maps that give indication as to what form of transport is good to go. I’d get them if I am going to be on the NF, not the ones from the state. Make sure they are current, as the status changes per whim of the district ranger.

You’ll find most private land posted and locked off. Yes, unfortunately they can control access to public lands if the road passes through private. It’s a crappy thing, unless of course you’re the one in control then it’s great

I don’t believe there is any issue with dispersed camping on BLM, unless it’s like a wilderness or wilderness study area and you got there with a motor. Can’t drive anywhere you want like we used to do, stay on or near a road. Dispersed is OK in many forest units also, but verify. Some of that has also changed.

You’ll find most private land posted and locked off. Yes, unfortunately they can control access to public lands if the road passes through private. It’s a crappy thing, unless of course you’re the one in control then it’s great

In Colorado they do not need to post it or block it off. It is not the owners responsibility to post private property it is our responsibility to gain permission to be there and we are responsible for knowing at all times what kind of property we are on. As far as driving through private on BLM, the road must me city/county/state maintained. If it is not then you must have owners permission to pass through.

gbflyer

WKR
In Colorado they do not need to post it or block it off. It is not the owners responsibility to post private property it is our responsibility to gain permission to be there and we are responsible for knowing at all times what kind of property we are on. As far as driving through private on BLM, the road must me city/county/state maintained. If it is not then you must have owners permission to pass through.

Yes sir it is and that’s a good point. It’s been my experience that the landowners are very liberal with the placement of signage, especially in hunting areas. And that’s a good thing. But you’re right, don’t count on it.

OP
M

Mrfoozle

FNG
Thanks guys, thats exactly the kind of info I have been searching for!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Generally speaking if a road isn't labeled as a numbered forest service road or county road then there is a strong probability you can't use it to cross private land. If it is a forest service or county road then you SHOULD be able to use it. There are exceptions for sure but that generally will guide your map usage and you can look up those questionable situations further. Mainly saying go ahead and write off most of the roads you may see on maps/satellite thru private if they aren't county/forest service.

wytx

WKR
You'll find lots of closed off roads from past logging, you can walk them but not drive them. If not on the MVUM you can not use it .

Roads with names should be city/county/state maintained. Is that right?

LandYacht

WKR
Roads with names should be city/county/state maintained. Is that right?

No. Lots of private roads that will come up with names on many maps.

There isn’t a single mapping system updated enough to keep up with the roads and there different closure points. There are a bunch of roads that show up on maps that no longer go through or have been closed and that goes the other way too.

I’d make several different access plans if you are just able to google earth scout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
You are smart to get out well in advance of the season to check things out! Maps and websites aren't always updated to the latest access issues. You never know when fires, bug-killed trees, etc prevent vehicle access to areas. Some areas don't allow bike access but you may want to bring along bikes for quick and easy access. Some areas are off limits to the public at certain times of year (critical winter ranges, etc). Shed hunting for example closes off public in the Gunnison Basin and elsewhere. There are a lot of details that you may not be aware of until your season starts but it definitely pays to get a feel for the area you'll be hunting! Bring along a camera and camcorder to help remind you of different things. Its also a nice time to take scenery shots! Half of the fun of scouting and exploring is checking out new and exciting places!

davsco

WKR
yeah did my first elk hunt in colo early october. was very disappointed to find lots of otherwise seemingly public back roads (road #'s and/or names on maps and street signs) with 'private property' gates across them. invested a fair amount of time taking some to a good looking destination only to have to turn around.