2018 Best Bull Elk Photo Contest, sponsored by Kifaru

TPearson

FNG
hey i sent in my photo a few weeks back. its comment #65 but my photo wont upload is there another way to get it submitted?

2018 Utah General Season Muzzleloader.
Cold!!
ea00e948484a3dac3e5b6d431cb200cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
2018 Wyoming OTC public land bull

Im not winning squat but I figured it's my duty to share as part of this community...He's not the biggest bull nor the best landscape compared to some but he was hard fought and won with a memorable story.

Came up snake eyes on the draw this year and had to go with plan B. Plan B turned out to be an area completely saturated with other hunters and huge elk camps littered everywhere. The hope was to hike far enough back in to get away from the crowd and find a few dark timber pockets hiding small numbered herds. The Sunday before opening day after returning from scouting that afternoon to filter water and collect firewood we began to hear cow calls and a faint bugle, which I initially blew off as other hunters. Low and behold 20 cows and 1 bull decided to come and hang out with us 30 yards from the tent for 2 hrs...feeding midday!! We stood silent, frozen, and dumbfounded just watching. Over the next few days, game plan after game plan failed. We spent the next 5 days climbing ridges in the dark every morning and back in the dark every evening. Had a few close calls but couldn't quite connect. On day 5 a bright orange clad group of hunters somehow came in from the private land side of the mountain and walked right through the open cut we had been glassing for 2 days...that was it. My hunting partner was roached and ready to throw in the towel. I too was fighting the disappointment and although I refused to quit, I knew it was time to pack it up and get home to the wife and kids. The next day we packed up and started the long hike back. At about midway back to the forest service road, all of a sudden there was a quick flash of horns followed by timber cracking...Oh s#@t, it's on! Despite every inclination saying "you'll never catch him in all this thick brush and downd timber", I chased him full pack and all for over an hour through all the thick and nasty. Stopping every few seconds to listen for movement. By pure luck and a gift from the hunting gods I somehow found the trail he used to escape. In the exact moment I paused to listen I caught a glimpse of him in the corner of my eye bedded down not 25 feet from where I was standing. Apparently everytime I would move he was moving in unison and would then bed down real quick to conceal his location. He sprung just as we locked eyes but by then I had already pulled the trigger. It was one of those moments that happens so fast it feels like a dream. It's always very introspective, for me anyway, how it's always in that moment right after that you're flooded with that deep spiritual feeling of joy and sadness over completing the circle of life. Anyway, as it turns out, he was the exact same bull that we had spotted the day before the opener. Hope everyone else faired well and came home safe. Look forward to seeing more pics on this thread.
261f12f208c7c2ea6568f46bea9f5b2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wow! Great Bull and Great story! You can have all the preparation, persistence and skill in the world, but in OTC you still need a little bit of luck. Nice job! How far and how long would you say the pursuit was from the time you bumped him until you shot?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Last day of 20 in South central Colorado. Wife said she was tired of hanging out in camp. After an all night downpour it quit raining around 730. We headed out. I cow called as we walked up the mountain. I heard elk running as we approached a ridge. I told my wife and son, they just ran off. So i hit the cow call. Then a loud bugle on top of us. My wife goes"big bull" and points . I see a spike and a cow running towards us. So i move and tell her I'm shooting the cow. She keeps saying no, shoot the bull. We are having a married moment arguing. She keeps saying big bull, all i see is the spike and cow. She's was looking at a bigger bull, I'm drawn on the cow about to punch an arrow when this joker runs in at 52 yds. Stopped behind a tree covering his ribs. I shot him between his shoulder, severed his jugular and only penetrated about six inches into his lungs. What a great moment to share with my family!!
1980e44704b0b4831fdaace1533df435.jpg
a5ec2cda431adf476600af19ba37b8f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

One photo per entry as the rules state. Pick your best, delete the rest. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like this thread a lot. Any chance we can get the deadline extended a little next year for folks with late season tags?

Sorry man, deadline is the deadline. We need time to get these contests judged in December before we get slammed with our busy season/shows in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suntech

FNG
This was first Idaho Elk ever. Moved from Nebraska to my wife's home state "Idaho" not a bad deal really. But only having been a whitetail/coyote Hunter definitely a new experience. Totally worth it to say the least. Shot him in unit 50, North Eastern part of the state. Gun was a semi custom 7 mag that I put together thru the summer for this hunt. It was truly an emmotional experience. Spotted him about 1800yds out 3cows and 9 bulls and right away I seen this nontypical and knew he was the one. He came to within 200yds and I pulled the trigger on him it was a great experience and hope to repeat it.
81de6555fcc9b34fdd6518709e837cce.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My Colorado fourth season bull elk. Hunting solo on a leftover tag, I shot this guy Thursday afternoon/evening at 475 yards. Taking a rest is difficult with antlers on your back. You can't sit very easily so I always kneel down to catch my breath if I need to. Packed out with my Kifaru DT2.

hkfK3B7.jpg

Last edited: