2018 Elk Meat Pole

Owenst7

WKR
Cow #3 from the Jarbidge Wilderness. 9 mile packout with 112 lbs (split my cow with a buddy). Slept in the wall tent and went back in the next morning to pack out cow #4 + my spike camp and two weeks of food. 90 lbs for 9 miles on the second trip. Cows #1 and #2 got split between four of us and were pretty easy. We were out there for 6 days and all the cows were packed out within 72 hours of each-other.
6pwrobW.jpg

Last edited:

JLH208

WKR
Cow #3 from the Jarbidge Wilderness. 9 mile packout with 112 lbs (split my cow with a buddy). Slept in the wall tent and went back in the next morning to pack out cow #4 + my spike camp and two weeks of food. 90 lbs for 9 miles on the second trip. Cows #1 and #2 got split between four of us and were pretty easy. We were out there for 6 days and all the cows were packed out within 72 hours of each-other.
6pwrobW.jpg

What are those bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
I had a tough hunt in the Gila this year but I finally moved locations on the 13th day and got this little bull, I should have moved earlier!!

Attachments

• 20180913_140605.jpg
    20180913_140605.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 313

groe

FNG
Colorado Unit 76 bull. Tough hunt that ended well.

a3f0ab435c45bcf5ac0371f09fc10bb5.jpg

First elk with my bow. Cow in New Mexico. (Not letting me upload photos at the moment)

The day before I had seen several small bulls, but wasn't able to get within range. The two call ins I had, the bulls came from upwind, circled around and got my wind.

It was early afternoon and I hadn't seen an elk. I had made a 4-5 mile hike stopping every half mile to call and wait. No luck. I eventually ended up on the downwind side of a north facing slope with thick cover. I had seen lots of elk sign in the area so I though they may be bedded down there. I did some cow calling and made a ruckus starting about 400 yards out and slowly moved to the edge of the thick hillside. I stopped calling and moved another 100 yards and sat down under a fallen tree. I could only see 40 yards to either side and 20 yards below me. 45 min goes by and I hadn't seen or heard a thing. I decide to munch on some jerky and flip through my elknut playbook.

All of a sudden I hear some sticks breaking upwind in the brush. After a few minutes I see a cow come into view about 35 yards to my right. I didn't have a good shot and heard more movement behind her, so I opted to sit tight and see what else was with her. Eventually another cow comes through the same opening and moves downhill out of sight behind the first cow. Another 30 min goes by, and my hopes of a bull following diminished. I decided that if one of the cows gave me a good shot that I would try to take it.

I gave out a few light cow calls behind me and immediately hear sticks breaking right below me. I get on my knees and range the furthest tree i can see at 19 yards, 33 degree angle down. She came into view moving slowly with her head down. I drew back and she stepped right in front of the 19 yard tree. I though I should shoot a little high, just above mid body due to the angle. The shot was good and she stormed back the way she came and within seconds I heard her fall and start rolling....and rolling. She rolled almost 80 yards before she came to rest against a tree.

It was my first time doing the gutless method. A lot less blood and mess! I was about 2 miles from my truck, which was up over the ridge and 800 feet down. After getting the first load back, I decided I could probably get one more load before dark so I started making the climb back up the ridge. Once I made it to the top I decided I didn't want to make this climb 2 more times! I was tired. I made it over the ridge and came down the other side about 200 feet to where I had the quarters hung up. Bees and flys were everywhere. I grabbed a front shoulder and rear quarter and made it back to my truck right at dark. My feet were starting to get blisters from sliding in my boot going downhill with all the weight. I figured in the morning I would be a lot more sore, so I took off to get the last load and made it back to camp around midnight. Exhausted and sore I just couldn't fall asleep! I sat on my tailgate and popped open my bottle of makers that I had saved for this moment. I drank a few small cups under the stars with a big smile on my face.

That my friend, is a beautiful story.

TravKatQ

WKR
f5a7f166e23312cb12e47d798cbda63b.jpg

My 2018 Wyoming diy general season bull. First time hunting WY and it was a blast, can’t wait to get back.

Last edited:

Owenst7

WKR
Cwc3NC1.jpg

kErtn22.jpg

3eFVFzf.jpg

Moments later, my plans to pack out the four miles to my truck in the dark over an exposed ridge were halted by three second counts between lightening and thunder. It was raining so hard I couldn't wear my glasses. I got everything in game bags and spent the night under my plastic from my kill kit using my pack as a sleeping pad. The folded belt makes for a decent pillow it turns out.

Six hours from first light I made it to my truck in such poor visibility I had to navigate the ridge by compass. I attempted to make a second trip in, but turned back due to sideways hail and struggling with the visibility (there's no trail to follow to get in there). I finally got everything out yesterday afternoon during a short window in the weather.

Today is socked in and snowing above me so I'm taking a bit of a zero day before I work on my buck tag that opened on the 5th.

Sturgeon

WKR
View attachment 80380

Got my first elk last week. Was definitely moving a little slow that morning after packing my dad's cow out the day before. But it actually worked, I took my time going up. Of course after I shot the whole herd of 8 cows and a 5 point ran up to me at 25 yards. Had a much shorter packout with my cow. Can't believe all the amazing things I experienced in the woods over the last two weeks.
cow.jpg

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Everyone is encouraged to put up their success photos here. :)

Great job! Here is my 5 pt taken this past Saturday. He was about 700 yds from the road and spotted by a local deer hunter that helped with the pack out, or cart out I should say.DSCN1803 (960x720).jpg

geriggs

WKR
2 for 2 in colorado

Had a great time in my home state this year.

Attachments

• georgeBull.jpg
    georgeBull.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 239
  • colinBull.jpg
    colinBull.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 230

40tude

Lil-Rokslider
Finally happened after five years of trying to teach myself to hunt elk and busting my butt in the woods. OTC Colorado 5 point. My brother called him into 15 yards. I shot him quartering to, and the arrow buried nock deep right through the center of the shoulder blade. He sprinted 40 yards and crashed within sight. Still hard to believe.
21165a81802dbf60dc6173949028b19d.jpg

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
ab063ceb8eca483b43f9587a0aa4a4a8.jpg
56048da024b081f7f36a91a0c1291ee2.jpg

String of luck all started when I drew the one non-resident random tag for the La Sal Mountain unit in Utah.

Trip of a lifetime culminated in sneaking in on this guy and his herd. I’d found him at last light and luckily they fed all night in a meadow right next to this timber. Still smiling weeks later....