Packing one out solo

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Tell us your stories of packing out an elk solo. What was the distance and terrain? What did you do right? What would you do differently?

Beendare

WKR
I've done it a dozen times or so.....every time I say to myself, I need to figure out a better way....but then a week later I already miss elk hunting...so it must not be that bad.

I was headed to meet some buddies in Co to pack in on a bowhunt many years ago and got hung up getting a lic due to the conservation certificate changes [some of you might remember that mess]
It was too late in the eve by the time I got my lic and my buddies had already gone in over in the Wiminuche, so I stayed on the Mtn around Durango solo.

I bombed down into some deep dark timber going hard for about 1 1/2 hrs in the dark. Right at first light I circled on some bulls bugling, set up my deke and had 2 satellites come in on a string, shot one at 20 or so frontal....ran [downhill--arrrg] about 300yds and died.

Back in those days, I used a daypack to hunt and then my frame for packing. I went to go get my frame but by the time I got back the bull had swarms of Yellowjackets on him....I'm allergic to those...and left my Benadryl in my other pack.

Boned him in about 1 1/2 hrs with only 3 stings...all on my left hand.

By the time I got about 1/2 way up the hill the swelling was creeping up my left arm so bad I was starting to worry. Then it started pouring rain...a blessing as the cool water on my bare arm was like a cold compress. I got to the truck, took some Benadryl, rested for about an hour as the swelling went down....and spent the rest of the day getting the meat out- 3 trips total. It was about an hour down once I knew the route...but about 2 1/2 hrs out coming back uphill.

By now I was feeling pretty good. Next day dropped off the meat somewhere near Bayfield and backpacked in 9 miles to the spot my buddies packer described he dropped them. That was a wet year....poured rain the whole pack in....then snow at 10,000'. Called in 2 bulls for them in 3 days....but let them pack em out since they had a packer!

Wacm

FNG
I guess there are none. They all died of exhaustion lol. Me and a buddy packed a bull
Out last year and it almost killed us. So I can’t imagine doing it alone. I’d be calling a packer.

Beendare

WKR
Forgot the do different part; Now I have a pack that can haul meat...or use as a daypack....a McHale, 6# empty that has a special internal sling for controlling meat loads- its slick. 70# feels like about 50. and it can haul more than I care to put on my back anymore.

OP
L

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Man, that sounds like a challenge. Do you carry an EpiPen now or does Benadryl usually take care of it?

Man, that sounds like a challenge. Do you carry an EpiPen now or does Benadryl usually take care of it?
I always take Benadryl into the field with me! These EpiPens are expensive but I hear a generic low cost option will be hitting the market soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have packed two out the last couple years. It's been challenging but Hawk does pretty well on the lead rope so not to bad of experience. :cool:

diyguy

FNG
I always take Benadryl into the field with me! These EpiPens are expensive but I hear a generic low cost option will be hitting the market soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As an aside to the intent of this thread (sorry op) ask your Dr to write a prescription specifically for an Epinephrine Auto Injector, my wife and mother in law both have severe allergies and when the Dr did that it went from 300$ to 8$ at the pharmacy, the generic ones are already out there the Dr just has to write the generic name! Hope that helps you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first year elk hunting we shot a pair of 6 points that died 40 yards apart, took 2.5 days of packing to get them all out. Nothing crazy, a little over 3 miles in, mostly off trail, and 2000’ up so coming out was downhill. It was late November and the weather was perfect for letting meat hang.

Last edited:

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
My first year elk hunting we shit a pair of 6 points that died 40 yards apart, took 2.5 days of packing to get them all out. Nothing crazy, a little over 3 miles in, mostly off trail, and 2000’ up so coming out was downhill. It was late November and the weather was perfect for letting meat hang.

You shit 6 pairs of pants and died 40 yards apart? I'm definitely paying a packer.

11boo

WKR
Why is it always steep uphill for the pack out? I’m keeping a pair of hiking poles in the truck these days. Big help with a heavy load.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've done it solo a few times. But it can't be that bad because even at 53 I'm sitting here planning my solo hunt this year and looking at a 7 mile pack-in for part of my hunt. Maybe I just enjoy pain......actually as long as it's self-inflicted pain I'm OK with it. My most fond memories of elk hunting usually involve the most work and pain.

I got my first elk last year and packed him out solo in two trips. Yearling antlerless bull, quarter mile from the truck, 120ft climb.

Beendare

WKR
ask your Dr to write a prescription specifically for an Epinephrine Auto Injector, ...

I talked to my doc...he says if I want one its no problem....but the way it responded to Benadryl even with many stings I think I'm fine.

My last solo pack out was in 2013 Az....and it was a big bull. Of course he was down in a hole and it took me about 2x the time to bone him the bull died on a rock pile on a steep slope. It must have taken me 2 1/2 hrs to do a one hour project boning that sucker. Oh and raining....pretty much rained 1/2 the hunt. I shot him on a steep downhill about 1/2 mile off of a shut off road about 2 miles in. Luckily in Az you can use the shut off rd to recover game.

That bull was big bodied, so he was 4 big bags of meat 70# each or so.
Pardon the crummy solo in the rain pic
bull front 2 red.jpg

Shuttling the bags up a steep rocky slope took me an embarrassing 1/2 day to go 1/2 mile. ...though I really wasn't in any hurry.

So I left camp about 4am, shot the bull right at light just before 7 am. By the time I hauled the meat up to the road and I walked back to get my quad, etc....it was about 9;30 when I rolled into camp....long day.

nrh6.7

WKR
I've done it solo a few times. But it can't be that bad because even at 53 I'm sitting here planning my solo hunt this year and looking at a 7 mile pack-in for part of my hunt. Maybe I just enjoy pain......actually as long as it's self-inflicted pain I'm OK with it. My most fond memories of elk hunting usually involve the most work and pain.

Sounds like you might need to change your name to 7MilesBack

Beendare

WKR
...... I'm sitting here planning my solo hunt this year and looking at a 7 mile pack-in for part of my hunt. Maybe I just enjoy pain.......

My longest has been right at 7 miles...but that was with another guy...definitely NOT solo. Of course terrain makes a difference, if its mostly downhill on a good trail those are a piece of cake.

Never seems to happen that ^ way though............. /grin.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sounds like you might need to change your name to 7MilesBack

We'll see. If I arrow a big one back there.......maybe I will. But I also could see doing the 7 mile pack in, and then shooting one another 3 miles further in. Definitely not my first choice, but my explorer mindset takes over during the season sometimes.

bmart2622

WKR
Ive never packed one out that I would have called "fun" but I have also never felt like it was the worst thing ever. If I guy is prepared both physically and gear wise and just keep your feet moving, you will get there eventually.